Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Opinions on Mercedes GL450

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:21 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

I test drove the GL but felt it a little narrow inside for me. I liked the length of the car, but felt the seats were narrow and a little on the tight side for me (for an suv that is). We ended up getting the LX470. We've been really happy with it. It's a Lexus, never a problem--you know the deal.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:27 PM
EJC997S
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a Gl450 for my wife and I have a 07 X54.8...two different animals. The Gl rides well and is plenty fast. The 3rd row has good leg room and so far the build quality has been excellent. The X5 is great also. It rides more sporty but the 3rd row was a waste of money. There have been a few issues with the X5 electronics but less than what I'd expect for a launch year.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:32 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by str8line
We've had our GL320 for over 1 year and it is an impressive package. Mercedes really hit a home run with its interior and exterior design. I wouldn't change a thing as far as design goes. The third row seat alone trumps every other SUV made.

The chassis is softly sprung but it provides a butter-smooth ride. Great for highway, so-so for around town. It is also whisper quiet, especially so with the climate control glass option.

The diesel engine has plenty of grunt. It is very impressive.

The transmission on ours is very clunky during downshifts at low speed. It's going in next week for a new CPU. The dealer had tried to fix the problem a couple of times but now they are going to try a new transmission CPU(thanks to a previous poster!). Hopefully that will remedy the problem.

Overall, my wife absolutely loves it and I would give a perfect score if not for the tranny and slightly soft suspension.
My post??!!

See? There are sales guys who tell the truth!!
Old 05-15-2008, 12:17 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

how about a minivan?
Old 05-15-2008, 03:03 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by str8line
We've had our GL320 for over 1 year and it is an impressive package. Mercedes really hit a home run with its interior and exterior design. I wouldn't change a thing as far as design goes. The third row seat alone trumps every other SUV made.

The chassis is softly sprung but it provides a butter-smooth ride. Great for highway, so-so for around town. It is also whisper quiet, especially so with the climate control glass option.

The diesel engine has plenty of grunt. It is very impressive.

The transmission on ours is very clunky during downshifts at low speed. It's going in next week for a new CPU. The dealer had tried to fix the problem a couple of times but now they are going to try a new transmission CPU(thanks to a previous poster!). Hopefully that will remedy the problem.

Overall, my wife absolutely loves it and I would give a perfect score if not for the tranny and slightly soft suspension.
+1. We purchased a new SUV in March and it was between a Range Rover HSE, Land Rover LR3 and MB GL320CDI or 450. We both thought the GL hands down offered the best compromise between comfort and space. The Range Rover was just too small, and the LR3 was too spartan. Despite this, we chose to get the LR3 as it is MUCH better in the snow than the GL.

If I didn;t live in a town that gets 400+ inches of snow over 8 months of winter annually, I would have purchased the GL. It's a beautiful car.

(And btw - the Porsche Cayenne, BMW X5 and Volvo XC90 didn't make the first cut due to their lack of interior space. We really liked the X5 for its great handling, but it was just too small for a family.)

-Blake
Old 05-17-2008, 11:47 PM
mclc26
2nd Gear

We've had the GL450 for a year now and am very pleased with it. Has some decent power and the ride quality is more car-like than other SUV's I've driven. If you're looking for a 'sports car feel' in a truck, this is not the one for you. It's wifey's truck, but I like to drive it on long distances - much more comfortable than my 997S.

I like the Cayenne also (been driving an '08 loaner from the dealer) but with the lack of a 3rd row, it wasn't an option for us.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 88 Posts

Things I like about my 320 GL:

28+ mpg highway, over 700 mile range on a tank of fuel;
ability to raise suspension 3" for gravel & off road;
Sirius & Ipod dock;
MB TeleAid concierge service.

Dislikes:

$4.xx per gallon of diesel
Old 05-19-2008, 12:33 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Does the GL come in a AMG package?
I dont like the new X5s because they didnt come out with the 4.8iS. I love our 4.8is but
I have a problem getting my wifes stuff in the back. I dont see how a 3rd row will fit.
I have heard that the GLs are alot better than the MLs were.

Quick Reply: OT: Opinions on Mercedes GL450