Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the Cayman S is a wonderful car. I've spent about 6 weeks and 1,100 miles behind the wheel of a 2006 car with very few options and really like it. IMO, it's a modern NSX. Both cars are 6 cylinder, mid engined sports cars that put an emphasis on balance over anything else. To me, the Cayman S is really the NSX that Honda should be building today. Alas...

As much as I love MR cars, when it came time to replace the NSX I went with the 997 S over the 987S because I've always, always wanted a 911, I love the steering of the 911 and since we plan on having a family soon, I thought the two vestigal rear seats weren't a bad idea.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:57 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a young family, the 997's rear seats are very practical and is the reason I drive a 911, ok, one of the reasons.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:32 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

[QUOTE=Da Hapa;542794..when it came time to replace the NSX I went with the 997 S over the 987S because I've always, always wanted a 911, I love the steering of the 911 and since we plan on having a family soon, I thought the two vestigal rear seats weren't a bad idea.[/QUOTE]

What year was the NSX? Don't you just miss her?
Old 05-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Putt-Putt
What year was the NSX? Don't you just miss her?
1998 NSX-T. 3.2L 6 with the 6 speed manual. She was a very good car and I loved every aspect of her other than the color (black and I quickly learned that I'm far too **** to own a black car) and the lack of headroom.

I really couldn't say anything bad about the NSX but to be honest, after a little more than 3 years and a little less than 14,000 miles... I don't miss it. Esp. when I drive her replacement
Old 05-21-2008, 03:16 PM
ImaReallyCheapGuy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never driven one so my opinion means crap. Although I did have a Box-S...

Anyway, I will boldly state the Cayman is the prettiest car since the 246 Dino.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ImaReallyCheapGuy
I've never driven one so my opinion means crap. Although I did have a Box-S...

Anyway, I will boldly state the Cayman is the prettiest car since the 246 Dino.
Other than the front bumper (I think the foglamp treatment is really odd), I agree that the Cayman is a very, very nice looking car. The hips on that thing are sexy as hell.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
I think the Cayman S is a wonderful car. I've spent about 6 weeks and 1,100 miles behind the wheel of a 2006 car with very few options and really like it. IMO, it's a modern NSX. Both cars are 6 cylinder, mid engined sports cars that put an emphasis on balance over anything else. To me, the Cayman S is really the NSX that Honda should be building today. Alas...

As much as I love MR cars, when it came time to replace the NSX I went with the 997 S over the 987S because I've always, always wanted a 911, I love the steering of the 911 and since we plan on having a family soon, I thought the two vestigal rear seats weren't a bad idea.
i love cay s and had several of them.
however, that said, NSX is still a more sophisticated car (as old as it is) than today's cay s. take a look at the suspension of the two cars.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
1998 NSX-T. 3.2L 6 with the 6 speed manual. She was a very good car and I loved every aspect of her other than the color (black and I quickly learned that I'm far too **** to own a black car) and the lack of headroom.

I really couldn't say anything bad about the NSX but to be honest, after a little more than 3 years and a little less than 14,000 miles... I don't miss it. Esp. when I drive her replacement
My 03 NSX was way different than my C2S, and way better imo. I think the color has a lot to do with your feelings. Mine was formula Red, black interior. Everyone I know tells me I was insane for selling it.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Putt-Putt
My 03 NSX was way different than my C2S, and way better imo. I think the color has a lot to do with your feelings. Mine was formula Red, black interior. Everyone I know tells me I was insane for selling it.
While the black exterior got old quickly, I don't agree that my NSX was better.

I did not like the "t" option on the NSX and would have gladly gone without it were it not next to impossible to find a 1997+ without a "t". I think the steering, brakes, and motor in my C2S are dramatic improvements (esp. the brakes) over my NSX. I do think the gearbox was better in the NSX but the clutch is better in the Porsche.

Finally, there are a lot of minor details (ease of ingress/egress, headroom, heated seats, etc.) that my P car has that the NSX never would.

The NSX was certainly more exotic and arguably more "special" as you can go months without seeing another one and P cars are nearly ubiquitous here in S. CA but I don't regret my decision for one second.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooty
i love cay s and had several of them.
however, that said, NSX is still a more sophisticated car (as old as it is) than today's cay s. take a look at the suspension of the two cars.
Probably true. I never tracked the NSX nor have I tracked the Cayman S but in street driving the two vehicles feel remarkably similar.

Quick Reply: Cayman