Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 04:52 PM
eqs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Between the two the Z4M sounds more manly (even though it's wifey's car) and is arguably more fun (rear end drift) at the limit and the Cayman S w/PASM more precise - scalpel-like - pure Porsche precision.

Both very nice cars, just like other comments I've made, just different ..... for different people, at different times.

Cheers guys, both of you should be happy. what ... ?!

(I just like that little guy - he's funny)

As an aside, I saw a recent poll recently and the Z4 was on the top 10 cars for women - hummm .......... the Boxster was nowhere to be seen.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:08 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
If youre going to look at a cayman just make sure you test drive a BMW Z4M. I did and ended up buying one for my wife. Even up I might have bought the Cayman S, but the Z4M has 50 more HP and is
around $20K less once the deal is done. I would have loved to have another Porsche but I had to look at the test drives and the Z4M was just more fun and for the price it just cant be beat. There are some that might give pause with the BMWs styling but there are those that give pause to the Caymans styling.
Both are great cars but you have to drive both and see what car gives you the best feeling.
I believe that all of the major car magazines have compared these two cars, and I also believe that the Cayman S won each of the comparative tests. I test drove the Z4M about a year ago, and I wasn't at all impressed with it as a potential DD. IMO the Cayman S excells at being equally at home on the track or street whereas I believe the Z4M is more track orientated. I drove it on a country road with lots of imperfections, and I could feel each and every one of them. Moreover, lots of people must have misgivings about the car because at least in my area, Dealers were discounting them heavily.

On the plus side is the Z4M's HP. I would imagine that it has better straight line acceleration over the Cayman S. Also, as you pointed out, the price, especially after the significant discounts, is attractive.

I must admit that I am surprised that any woman would like the car as a DD, unless she was an enthusiast who was willing to sacrifice comfort for handling. Did you get your wife the roadster or the coupe?
Old 05-18-2008, 07:28 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We went the other way. Went into a dual dealership to trade a Z4 Coupe for the M version, walked out having decided to get a CaymanS. Wife thought it fit her much better, liked the feel and balance. Drove the M Coupe and it was really no choice (even I agreed). We found her CaymanS used across the country, bought it, flew out and drove it home. Its been in several DEs and now sports a pair of Recaros and harnesses, new Hawk pads and high temp brake fluid. She's done all the work, and its great to see her learning and enjoying the car, how it works, and the track.

Oh, so I went out and fulfilled my life-long dream - got a 997S a few months later.

BMW builds some fine sports sedans and big coupes, but really, if you're shopping for a sports car there are a lot of better choices from the S2000 and Miata to the 997 and beyond.

As to price, by buying the CaymanS used we saved over $10k and it only had 3200 miles on the clock and is certified. Although we could have negotiated a good price on the Z4MCoupe and there were strong factory incentives on the car last fall, we haven't looked back or ever regretted getting the CaymanS (or the 997S).
Old 05-18-2008, 08:09 PM
USCCayman
Intermediate

Here recently the journalists have been saying that first the R8, and now the GT-R are serious threats to the 997. This is not the case at all. If Porsche were to give the Cayman the horsepower it deserves, say at least 350 HP and LSD, along with the upcoming DFI and DSG, the 997 would have a threat I fear it could not overcome.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:17 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by USCCayman
...If Porsche were to give the Cayman the horsepower it deserves, say at least 350 HP and LSD, along with the upcoming DFI and DSG, the 997 would have a threat I fear it could not overcome.
That ain't gonna happen. Any company would be crazy to offer two models that competed against each other.

On the other hand you can go the supercharger route, and for around $15K you'll have the 350 HP. Moreover, I believe that the suspension and brakes on the Cayman S could accomodate the added power.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:29 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Porsche won’t give it much more hp but TPC can turbo the Cayman for around $12k. I got mine last weekend and the brakes and suspension can handle the power. It has a Quaife and it put down 408 hp to the wheels.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:58 PM
Kamran
Intermediate

It has a Quaife and it put down 408 hp to the wheels.
Awsome,...can we see a dyno?
Old 05-19-2008, 12:04 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Equ I said it was $20K once the DEAL was DONE. NOT MSRP. You get a bigger discount on the BMW.
I got 8500 UNDER invoice. BMW had trunk money on the 07 Z4M
I DID the BMW deal and I had the offer on the Porsche so I know what the difference was.
If youre just a sticker shopper you wouldnt know what the difference was. The BMW is 33 so I was off by a couple. It was still much more fun to drive. The BMWs power difference was more than noticable. It felt like 50hp.
I drove the Cayman CaymanS and the Z4M back to back to back in 2 hours. The BMW overall is just a better package.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:11 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Fast one thing I have learned about ALL car magazines is that they havent a clue what they are talking about ESPECIALLY C&D and Road and Track. I Read them still but you just cant beat seat of the pants test drives. Motortrend TV show tested them
and like the BMW Z4M better. Go figure. Top gear liked the Z4 M better.
I agree with you on the Cayman being more Docile. AND youre comment about the Z4M being more track oriented
that may be why I liked the Z4M better. Since thats my background. I might have been thinking that way.

I was SO dissapointed by the Cayman S. I drove the Cayman first so I could get a feel for the Cayman S. I drove the GT3 over to Bakersfield to do the test so that probably wasnt fair to the Caymans but I was amazed at the lack of power of the S. In bakersfield the Porsche dealer is 2 blocks from the BMW dealer. So back to back from the S to the Z4 was immediate. The Z4 was a level above the Cayman in acceleration and braking. I was shocked at the Cayman brakes too. Maybe it was because I had PCCBs on mine that I was dissapointed. The Ms brakes had more bite. Long term lap after lap maybe the
Cayman would be better but I only had about a half hour in each car.
Handling was close. But once I sat down and I had a $21, 590
difference in Price it was a no brainer. BMW came home.
I got her the coupe.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:45 AM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 66 Posts

I have yet to drive one. I love the styling.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:44 AM
fast1
Race Car

Old guy - I agree with you about magazine reviews. They are getting to be pretty much like movie reviews which I largely ignore.

Congratulations on your purchase. You are way ahead anytime that you can get a super deal on a car that you prefer. Maybe if my back were in a little better condition, I would have given the Z4M a longer look.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:14 AM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamran
Awsome,...can we see a dyno?
I put it here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...30&postcount=1
Old 05-19-2008, 11:49 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chalk me up as another Cayman lover. If it only had rear seats and a turbo.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:11 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I liked the CS as well. I chose my C4S over it because I like the extra power of the 911. I also need the back seat.

I would love to have a CS as a track car.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:53 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
I liked the CS as well. I chose my C4S over it because I like the extra power of the 911. I also need the back seat.

I would love to have a CS as a track car.
I would expect that even with the HP deficiency, a CS will give a C4S a run for the money on many tracks.

Quick Reply: Cayman