Sponsored by:

NAV-TV Tooki Bluetooth Installation Guide

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

It's been highlighted lately that the MY09 cars will feature a Bluetooth-enabled phone system which I would suppose will function much like the Tooki system. The current OEM design, requiring you to constantly shuffle your SIM card in and out of that little slot on the PCM is absolutely brain-dead. They're learning,--but very slowly.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Davidoconn
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that was great! I would have done mine on my own had I known it was somewhat simple. I had my dash apart like that when I hard wired my FM modulator for Sirius and agree that the side panels are the trickiest part, especially in full leather as I feared scuffing them.

I had my Tooki installed by my dealer a few months ago, don't even ask what it cost, and there was one last step he had to do after I received an error message. When I first paired the phone and then restarted the car I kept receiving a message that said something like "starting nav" on the screen, and it was basically frozen no matter what I tried to do. I went back to the dealer and they used a small jumper and touched one of the battery terminals to the other. At least that is what they told me they did but I would think that would cause a short. I'm not sure what it was but the did something with the battery that took about a second, and then all was well. I guess it reset the PCM.

Not sure if this happened to anybody else, but whatever it was the dealer fixed it in a second.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Ms.Greta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up and pics - wow, I am amazed you did this yourself. I just had mine professionally installed last week and am very disappointed. My TMobile DASH phone is apparently not compatible with the Tooki. The installer could not get it to pair and I even went on the NavTv forum and Tony called me and we tried everything. He finally said that it is just not compatible. Since it is a company issued phone, I can't do anything about it. If I am ever in Santa Barbara I'll look you up because you seem like you could figure it out!
Old 05-14-2008, 02:10 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree-i thank you for the great write-up-i am getting mine professionally installed tomorrow, to work with my blackberry phone-they use the same phone in their product manule-it looks like it will be a great product-thanx for all the info.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ms.Greta
Great write up and pics - wow, I am amazed you did this yourself. I just had mine professionally installed last week and am very disappointed. My TMobile DASH phone is apparently not compatible with the Tooki. The installer could not get it to pair and I even went on the NavTv forum and Tony called me and we tried everything. He finally said that it is just not compatible. Since it is a company issued phone, I can't do anything about it. If I am ever in Santa Barbara I'll look you up because you seem like you could figure it out!
I didn't do anything special. My phone is simply a first generation Razr with AT&T. It synched quite rapidly. Occasionally, little s/w ghosts plague it, but it should be better. I sent it back to NAV-TV for a s/w update and it should be heading back today via FedEx. (I have no luck uploading it via Bluetooth, but I can take the unit out of the car in about 5 minutes to send it in).
Old 05-26-2008, 04:29 PM
56truluck
Intermediate

I have a 2005 997 that does not have the telephone buttons. Can a Tooki be installed? Is it possible to use other buttons on the PCM in place of the telephone buttons to make it work. If not what is a good bluetoothe alternative? I have searched the forums but would appreciate your input. Thank you
Old 05-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 56truluck
I have a 2005 997 that does not have the telephone buttons. Can a Tooki be installed? Is it possible to use other buttons on the PCM in place of the telephone buttons to make it work. If not what is a good bluetoothe alternative? I have searched the forums but would appreciate your input. Thank you

If you don't have the phone button, the Tooki is not for you. We may have another solution for you in coming weeks. Stay tuned.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 05-26-2008, 07:02 PM
56truluck
Intermediate

Eric, thanks, I have heard that another company [mobridge?] was working on a solution for the non-tel button PCM. Any idea about time frame. If this will take more than a month do you have anysuggestions for an inexpensive solution in the meantime. I have looked at the Parrot 3200 but do not want to do an install if something better is going to become available in the near future. I could use a portable in the meantime. Some Garmin Nuvis have bluetooth capability and I was looking at nav units anyway. Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks again
Old 05-26-2008, 09:57 PM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Since Dan did such an awesome job on writing-up a DIY that, I'm sure, will serve as a reference for many, I wanted to add my $0.02 experience on microphone placement.

Quoting Dan: "I played with the final placement of the microphone a few times. I tried it within the steering wheel housing on the right side inside and adjacent to the small right grill provided, as well as on top of the housing."

I really wanted to make it work invisibly inside the steering column in the Factory location under the microphone grille. I was optimistic given postings on other forums that seemed to get good results there.

It didn't work for me. Inside the steering column results in a sound that is described to me by my callers as sounding "deep in a well, a screechy scratchy deep deep well."

So, I intend to move my microphone upside on top of the steering column as pictured in Dan's write-up. I'm still hoping to avoid running wires in the windshield channel to get topside to the headliner areas. I hope that the quality will be acceptable.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Several people on the other end of my conversations still complain about the sound. I may have to locate it near the A pillar. I wind up sort of leaning forward and talking to my steering wheel!
Old 05-11-2009, 12:51 AM
turbolou
Instructor

Thumbs up Reply

My thanks to EDGY01 for going through the trouble of posting this. I installed my Tooki module today & all went well except for removal of side carpeted panels,On my 08 coupe its different than the cabriolet mentioned. the T-27 torx screws are hidden behind the carpeting By simply poking the carpeting with your finger a hole can be found to get to the screw, So simple its confusing. I was expecting the other side panels to come out hard but no problem. Once all was hooked up I did a test with my Motorola razor phone & it paired up easily & the phone book feature works fine & system works as hoped for. All that's left is to neatly place everything back which shouldn't be a problem. My only question is why Porsche didn't supply this to begin with in a car with a 176k MSRP this car has every other conceivable option that could be ordered & no blue tooth. Oh well if I wanted a Cadillac I should of bought one. Regards Lou
Old 05-11-2009, 01:12 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Glad to hear that the guide was usable. Porsche has never been on the leading edge with the electronic stuff,--I guess we're really paying for the mechanical engineering, and having to compromise on the neat gadgets! The Tooki device works very well,--so simple, it's silly that it just wasn't done in the first place. I think it's even cheaper than ordering the telephone capability (bluetooth) from the factory now.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:25 PM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Late to the party but just as excited to see this tutorial as others. Thanks for the great job Dan!
Old 06-18-2009, 06:57 PM
turbolou
Instructor

Smile comment

Originally Posted by turbolou
My thanks to EDGY01 for going through the trouble of posting this. I installed my Tooki module today & all went well except for removal of side carpeted panels,On my 08 coupe its different than the cabriolet mentioned. the T-27 torx screws are hidden behind the carpeting By simply poking the carpeting with your finger a hole can be found to get to the screw, So simple its confusing. I was expecting the other side panels to come out hard but no problem. Once all was hooked up I did a test with my Motorola razor phone & it paired up easily & the phone book feature works fine & system works as hoped for. All that's left is to neatly place everything back which shouldn't be a problem. My only question is why Porsche didn't supply this to begin with in a car with a 176k MSRP this car has every other conceivable option that could be ordered & no blue tooth. Oh well if I wanted a Cadillac I should of bought one. Regards Lou
Occasionally I would get a complaint of a back round echo from the recipient of my call. Turned out that the reason was the placement of the microphone too near one of the dash speakers. The other was because I'm hard of hearing I tend to have the volume turned up. By simply adjusting volume the problem diminished. Next I will try relocating the microphone & that should totally take care of it.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I'm glad to hear that it's working for you. Once their software matured, this has been a super option on my cabriolet. it keeps me legal within the state of California. One of the other neat things (that I can't even do on the physical phone) is to go look up another number while still on the phone with another. Handy.

Quick Reply: NAV-TV Tooki Bluetooth Installation Guide