NAV-TV Tooki Bluetooth Installation Guide

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 09:54 PM
turbolou
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Update

Originally Posted by turbolou
Occasionally I would get a complaint of a back round echo from the recipient of my call. Turned out that the reason was the placement of the microphone too near one of the dash speakers. The other was because I'm hard of hearing I tend to have the volume turned up. By simply adjusting volume the problem diminished. Next I will try relocating the microphone & that should totally take care of it.
I have relocated the microphone atop the steering column & still get complaints of back round feedback & now inconsistent performance. Perhaps it's time to consult an expert . Question is where do I find such a person in south orange county.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Talk to Tony at Tooki again and see if they have a new microphone that is better.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:44 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

I had the same problem, contacted Tooki and they told me to turn the volume up all the way on my phone (Blackberry).

Once I did this....problem solved
Old 01-04-2010, 02:57 PM
turbolou
Instructor

Angry Reply

Originally Posted by Izzone
I had the same problem, contacted Tooki and they told me to turn the volume up all the way on my phone (Blackberry).

Once I did this....problem solved
I'm hard of hearing & my volume on everything is turned up. I will call this Tony at Tooki & see what he has to suggest. If Porsche did this right to begin with I wouldn't have to deal with this. I purchased a kenwood all in one unit for my F150 ford lightning & everything about it makes what Porsche offers second rate. Navigation, Blue tooth, Mp-3 player all of it is superior. for $750.00. that includes whats in the rest of my vehicles. Lexus, Corvette & the Porsche.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:31 AM
lckiii
2nd Gear

Fantastic! This demystifies a lot about PCM upgrades (bluetooth, ipod, etc)

Thanks
Old 01-11-2010, 12:15 AM
turbolou
Instructor

Default Reply

I'm hard of hearing & my volume on everything is turned up. I will call this Tony at Tooki & see what he has to suggest. If Porsche did this right to begin with I wouldn't have to deal with this. I purchased a kenwood all in one unit for my F150 ford lightning & everything about it makes what Porsche offers second rate. Navigation, Blue tooth, Mp-3 player all of it is superior. for $750.00. that includes whats in the rest of my vehicles. Lexus, Corvette & the Porsche.
I contacted Tooki & they recommended a mobile guy that does this sort of thing all day long. He came down to my shop diagnosed my difficulty & ordered an updated software & chip plus will go over my installation when it comes in next week.Very knowledgeable & had him install a bluetooth module in my 08 Z06 also. Neither the Porsche or the Vette offered it till 09.If anyone in my area is interested in his contact number PM me. He works from San Diego to Ventura.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:35 PM
cannga
Instructor

I contacted Tooki & they recommended a mobile guy that does this sort of thing all day long. He came down to my shop diagnosed my difficulty & ordered an updated software & chip plus will go over my installation when it comes in next week.Very knowledgeable & had him install a bluetooth module in my 08 Z06 also. Neither the Porsche or the Vette offered it till 09.If anyone in my area is interested in his contact number PM me. He works from San Diego to Ventura.
Thinking about installing this in my 997 Turbo. Any update on this please? Did it solve the problem?

My friend has Tooki in his 997 and I've found that it's difficult to understand him when he calls from the car using Tooki.

I will also PM you for the name of the mobile installer? I hope he did a good job in your car. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan,

As I too have a cab (07' 997 C4S), I'd like to hear your feed back on experiences with sound quality.
1) You hearing others during call in a top up as well as top down situation?
2) Your callers hearing you in a top up as well as top down situation?
3) Where did you finally relocate the mic placement for optimal audio pick up?

Any other insights?

Thanks,
David
Old 05-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

Bringing this thread back up. I've put off doing the software updates since i usually have problems with loading via BT. But I was reading the nav-tv forms on the improvement to sound quality for the iphone. Well, i updated both the parrot firmware and the tooki software and things are indeed very much improved. Callers say it's much louder and my iphone connects almost instantly (whereas before it might be hit or miss or take a few minutes to lock in). So if you have an iphone, don't wait, do the update. the links are on the nav tv website.

As for the mic, i've tried the OEM locsation in the steering wheel housing (terrible) and the map light (just passable) and found the visor pillar to be the best for my car -a coupe.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I will send my unit back to Tooki for their latest software update. Perhaps that will help. I can hear them great in my cab with top down, but they always complain about hearing me. Sometimes they even get echos.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:34 PM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Question

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I will send my unit back to Tooki for their latest software update. Perhaps that will help. I can hear them great in my cab with top down, but they always complain about hearing me. Sometimes they even get echos.
Dan,
I have a Cab as well and am considering a Tooki but Eric at Bumper plugs said it's "Buggy"?? With your new updates in S/W, if you were to do it all over would you still go with Tooki?

Also, where is your mic in your cab mounted?

BTW I have a BlackBerry Bold which is not supported/compatible with Denision BTA1500 so Tooki is my only option.

Cheers
Old 06-30-2010, 02:01 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I have not had a chance to send it back to Tony--I need to send him the unit. I like the function and operation of the NAV-TV Tooki. It works quite well, and with each s/w release, the function improves. I placed the Tooki microphone atop my steering wheel housing--favoring the right side--approximately over the small factory mike grill. (See one of the last photos in my guide).
Old 06-30-2010, 11:05 AM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I have not had a chance to send it back to Tony--I need to send him the unit. I like the function and operation of the NAV-TV Tooki. It works quite well, and with each s/w release, the function improves. I placed the Tooki microphone atop my steering wheel housing--favoring the right side--approximately over the small factory mike grill. (See one of the last photos in my guide).
Thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated!
Old 07-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Question

I have relocated the microphone atop the steering column & still get complaints of back round feedback & now inconsistent performance. Perhaps it's time to consult an expert . Question is where do I find such a person in south orange county.
I just installed my Tooki and am also experiencing the same echo/volume issues you are/had. Just curious to see what your resolution was?

BTW, I have a BB (bold) and a C4S Cab, current mic is tucked between speedometer gauge.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Thought I'd post a follow up.

Everything went in and works great, 1st time. Here's what I found out:

1) Sequence of devices in MOST loop:
A) PCM -> TOOKI ->DENSION -> NAV ->BOSE
2) Mic placement:
A) For now I "tucked" between Speedo & Tach. BTW MUCH larger Mic w/ "wind sock". I left myself a Voicemail and audio is decent, considering distance.
3) Callers are experiencing echo issues on their end:
B) Nav-TV Tech suggested two things:
1) On BB Bold while on call, turn volume all way up and use volume **** on PCM to control audio levels.
2) Try turning off or on "echo Cancelation" from BB

Here's the procedure to do that on your Blackberry:
Workaround

Enable the echo control option on the BlackBerry smartphone.

1. On the Home screen of the BlackBerry smartphone, click the Bluetooth icon or click Options > Bluetooth.
2. Make sure the BlackBerry smartphone is paired with the Bluetooth enabled headset or car kit.
3. On the Bluetooth screen, click the headset or car kit, then select Device Properties.
4. Set the Echo Control field to ON.
5. Click the trackwheel and select Save.

Will test this out later today.

Hope this helps someone in the future!

Cheers

Quick Reply: NAV-TV Tooki Bluetooth Installation Guide