Sponsored by:

TPMS Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 02:23 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default TPMS Sensors

I'm still considering whether or not to install some Champion wheels I picked up earlier this year. I've driven for many years without the benefit of TPMS, so I'm not sure I really need it badly enough to spend $500 for more sensors. What if I didn't install TMPS sensors on the new rims? Will the system be bothered by the lack of sensors?
Old 05-10-2008, 03:11 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Can't you move them from your current OEM rims? They shouldn't be THAT much,--I think you can get them for $70 a piece.I have heard some say that the TPMS whines a bit when there is no sender for it to communicate with...
Old 05-10-2008, 10:11 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
I'm still considering whether or not to install some Champion wheels I picked up earlier this year. I've driven for many years without the benefit of TPMS, so I'm not sure I really need it badly enough to spend $500 for more sensors. What if I didn't install TMPS sensors on the new rims? Will the system be bothered by the lack of sensors?
About $400 from places like Sunset Imports or Suncoast. If you can live with the warning light, then don't bother with the TPMS...or you can go through the process of having the dealer turn off TPMS. Personally, I'd spend the $400 especially with no spare.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:00 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you don't use sensors, be prepared for constant complaints from the car - alarms go off, lights go on, etc. Royal pain - so much so I even put them on my latest set of track wheels. $450 additional investment on top of $100k isn't that bad.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:24 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Can't you move them from your current OEM rims? They shouldn't be THAT much,--I think you can get them for $70 a piece.I have heard some say that the TPMS whines a bit when there is no sender for it to communicate with...
Never having seen how or where the sensors are mounted, I didn't know they could be removed and re-used. If they can be removed and re-installed on the new wheels I would opt for that.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:06 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Never having seen how or where the sensors are mounted, I didn't know they could be removed and re-used. If they can be removed and re-installed on the new wheels I would opt for that.
The transmitting sensor is located inside the wheel attached to the valve stem. You have to remove the tire to get to it.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Lblackman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't bother with them for my track wheels, but now wish that I had. When I replace the tires I will get the sensors and have them installed.

In the meantime, what I have done is to make a simple modification that works .... a piece of white racers tape about one inch long that blocks the warning lights on the instrument panel when I have the track wheels on. I leave that piece of tape on the instrument panel all the time ... no point in changing it out given the frequency that I have the other wheels on.

What happens is when you first start driving without the sensors on wheels, the system looks for the sensor for about 15 minutes. Then it sends a warning message saying TPMS Inactive. You just flick that message off with the computer control stalk. After that, every time you start the engine you get the TPMS Inactive warning, which you cancel with the stalk. No other complaining from the system ... though sometimes on a long drive it will flash again after an hour on the road.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:02 AM
tkids
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is some info/pics on the sensors as I installed them on a winter set of rims/tires.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/382632-tech-question-regarding-tpms-sensor-does-this-look-right.html

Quick Reply: TPMS Sensors