Sponsored by:

Okay, my turn...PDK.........my theory

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Okay, my turn...PDK.........my theory

There's been a lot of speculation about the new 'PDK' transmission to be released on the face-lifted 997.

This is purely based on a few facts that look all too familiar; but I'd be willing to bet that Porsche's new PDK, is infact, Porsche version of MERCEDES BENZ 7 Speed Double De-Clutching AMG Transmission.

Mercedes has in the past developed Porsche's Tip Tronic. And I find it very interesting that they are both 7 speed's.

Exactly the same? Who knows. But after experiencing the SL63 for about an hour, I gotta say that I think this is going to be the same unit, modified of course for Porsche that Porsche will call the PDK.

Again, I'm just throwing it out there. I know that VW/Audi has the DSG; but that's a 6 speed. This new PDK will be a 7 Speed.

So any takers? Anyone think I'm right? Wrong?

Cue drum roll..........
Old 05-08-2008, 06:24 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interesting.......I was thinking more along the lines of a beefed-up version of the Audi/VW unit. You may very well be onto somthing though.....
Old 05-08-2008, 06:24 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so, Chris, would that be a bad or good thing.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Chances are this is the unit: http://www.getrag.de/en/253 , different from mercedes.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Chris, how was the 7-speed in the 63?
Is the manual shifting 'feel' similar to a Tiptronic or more involving? Apples to apples OR apples to oranges?
Old 05-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

It's a good thing. I think. LOL I say that b/c I'd prefer that Porsche SPEND some of it's cash (they can afford it) on their own design.

But in reality, MB builds the worlds bestest tranny's IMO. Silky smooth, and more or less- bullet proof.

As for the SL63- it is NOT like the 'going out' tip tronic. It'll blip the throttle when downshifting and go from 7th to 2nd if you command it to. It does what you want; not the other way around. And it's VERY responsive. On the 63 in full S+ mode, it shifts VERY VERY fast.

Apples to oranges? Well, I'd have to spend more time in it. If our current thinking is MANUAL=APPLES/TIP= ORANGES, I think these new trannies are going to reengineer the way we view shifting all togehter.

Could be apples to oranges. It just could be. My .02 cents? I love the new AMG tranny. It's cost effective for cars under a certain price point.

If I had MY choice I'd have something like the E Gear or F1 Gear. But for the money the new AMG 7 speed is the Dogs *****.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by sticky
Chances are this is the unit: http://www.getrag.de/en/253 , different from mercedes.
Holy Crapola.........Sticky is THAT you??!!

EDIT: I see that it is! What's up stranger?

On topic: Although it says it's for "front or Mid engine" applications; maybe they're working on tweaking it for the rear engined 911.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

The Mercedes/AMG gearbox is a SINGLE clutch transmission, not a double. Bang goes that theory.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

http://jalopnik.com/tag/transmission/

According to a little blirb on this site; they're working on a getrag/Chrysler transmission. This might be more like it.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Le Chef
The Mercedes/AMG gearbox is a SINGLE clutch transmission, not a double. Bang goes that theory.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=125146

POP.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:25 PM
am722
Drifting

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Not to get off-topic, but that new Merc looks seriously pissed-off.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by am722
Not to get off-topic, but that new Merc looks seriously pissed-off.
That new Merc is seriously a f***ing awesome machine. Very UN MB like. When I was taking it to my clients house I scared the sh*t out of some local motorist driving by them. It BARKS loudly as it drives by. And fast as hell too.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:33 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

Just to add another rumor, I have heard that Porsche helped develop the new transmission for Nissan's upcoming GT-R, and that the the PDK is essentially the same unit that has won so much praise from the automotive press for Nissan, only better.

Jerry
Old 05-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by JMAGOLAN
Just to add another rumor, I have heard that Porsche helped develop the new transmission for Nissan's upcoming GT-R, and that the the PDK is essentially the same unit that has won so much praise from the automotive press for Nissan, only better.

Jerry
Where in the love of God did ya hear THAT one?
Old 05-08-2008, 09:50 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

The SL 63 is a brilliant car, and the transmission is awesome. I had preconceived biases against it and was very surprised and impressed.

I had some seat time in the car on the the AMG event in Las Vegas; the car is fast, very fast.

I have biases against the the PDK, preferring stick shift, but if the above is any example (I know it is a different transmission) then the PDK will be awesome.

The great thing about the improvement in AMG (and real performance focus versus prior badge emphasis) is that it will force Porsche to lift their game.

The Black Series is a perfect example (GT3 equivalent with minor +/-s). After hot laps with Tommy Kendall on the speedway, I can assure you that this car is beyond 99.9999% of driver's abilities. It takes a pro to reach it limits, and I've had hot laps with the best of drivers in Porsches too (for comparison purposes).

Quick Reply: Okay, my turn...PDK.........my theory