Sponsored by:

Okay, my turn...PDK.........my theory

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:13 PM
CayS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I absolutely don't believe that Porsche would even buy a Mercedes cupholder. The two companies have historically been VERY seggragated. The only link between them might be through the German gearbox-maker "Getriebe-AG", a.k.a. "GETRAG", whose products they both use.

I think, a better approach to identify the potential developer of Porsche's PDK gearbox might be, to check whose experience Porsche can tap into at low cost, because it is financially affiliated with them.
O.K., so here it goes:
- Porsche owns 31% of Volkswagen (they're presently negotiating a 50% or even 51% buy-in against heavy resistance by the German state of Lower-Saxony, in which Volkswagen is located.)
- Volkswagen owns Audi to 100% (and both co-developed their DSG's ).
- Volkswagen also owns the following car makes to 100%:
  • SEAT
  • Skoda
  • Bentley
  • Bugatti
  • Lamborghini

While the first three are virtual non-contenders in the PDK/DSG race, the story is completely different if we look at Bugatti and Lamborghini.

Lamborghini is very successfully selling their "robotized" sequential e-gear system in their high-end cars.

Bugatti built and implanted into their 1000+ hp "Veyron" a newly developed top-notch 7-speed DSG.

Both manufacturers sucessfully resolved the old problem with DSGs mated to high-power and high-torque engines.

I would put my money on VW / Audi / Lambo / Bugatti as base technology providers for the Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe.

Greetings,
Rainer

Last edited by CayS; 05-08-2008 at 10:18 PM. Reason: correction
Old 05-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Did we forget the MB 500E?
Old 05-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Holy Crapola.........Sticky is THAT you??!!

EDIT: I see that it is! What's up stranger?

On topic: Although it says it's for "front or Mid engine" applications; maybe they're working on tweaking it for the rear engined 911.
They will tweak the Getrag unit as it suits them, if they use it.

And yes, it is me, and I've just been hanging around.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CayS
I absolutely don't believe that Porsche would even buy a Mercedes cupholder. The two companies have historically been VERY seggragated. The only link between them might be through the German gearbox-maker "Getriebe-AG", a.k.a. "GETRAG", whose products they both use.

I think, a better approach to identify the potential developer of Porsche's PDK gearbox might be, to check whose experience Porsche can tap into at low cost, because it is financially affiliated with them.
O.K., so here it goes:
- Porsche owns 31% of Volkswagen (they're presently negotiating a 50% or even 51% buy-in against heavy resistance by the German state of Lower-Saxony, in which Volkswagen is located.)
- Volkswagen owns Audi to 100% (and both co-developed their DSG's ).
- Volkswagen also owns the following car makes to 100%:
  • SEAT
  • Skoda
  • Bentley
  • Bugatti
  • Lamborghini

While the first three are virtual non-contenders in the PDK/DSG race, the story is completely different if we look at Bugatti and Lamborghini.

Lamborghini is very successfully selling their "robotized" sequential e-gear system in their high-end cars.

Bugatti built and implanted into their 1000+ hp "Veyron" a newly developed top-notch 7-speed DSG.

Both manufacturers sucessfully resolved the old problem with DSGs mated to high-power and high-torque engines.

I would put my money on VW / Audi / Lambo / Bugatti as base technology providers for the Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe.

Greetings,
Rainer
Buggatti didn't build their 7 speed, they outsourced it.

And porsche has been using the basic Merc 5 speed auto for years now.

Oh and the point on both manufacturers successfully resolving the problem with DSG and high torque engines is not much of a point at all because neither manufacturer built their own DSG box and veyron DSG costs more than a Gallardo. And lambo has no DSG box, so mentioning their sequential transmission serves no purpose.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01

Ooooh....brings back nice memories. Great JV between Porsche and MB for a screaming small sedan.

But I think that relationship went south too long ago. I suspect the soon to be seen PDK will be derived from Audi....just my two cents.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 05-08-2008, 10:51 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
One of the all time great cars, I wish I had never sold mine. If you liked that car go drive the Black Series and you will think you have died and gone to heaven!
Old 05-08-2008, 10:55 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Colm, I agree these cars we drive we can never get anywhere near 99% out of them. I had hot laps in a 997S with Hurley Haywood and Peter Litzenberger at Barber and that was a real experience!

With that said I have found some of the limits in the Tiptronic on the track and have adjusted my driving to suit the Tip. As a person that physically can not push a clutch pedal and needs a faster down shifiting transmission with more closely matched gears I can not wait for PDK no matter what it actually is it has to be better on the track than the Tiptronic. Ido ask for that it be as reliable as the Tiptronic has been for me.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Mercedes box is not DSG or PDK which is a twin clutch dry-plate mechanism. The Mercedes system still works more like a torque converter than a traditional clutch system. If you want further proof that they are and will be different go hunt for the patent filings that someone posted a few weeks ago and you will clearly see the difference. Sorry. You need to separate gearboxes from clutches. The clutch technology is already in house with VAG, so why develop yet another solution? Makes no sense. The 7-speed gearbox is already mature technology. If you want advanced look at Lexus's 8-speed.

As to Porsche working with Nissan that's laughable. They may have worked with Aisin-Warner who supply gearboxes to Porsche for 997, but not Nissan. That would not be smart.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:45 AM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Although it says it's for "front or Mid engine" applications; maybe they're working on tweaking it for the rear engined 911.
Oh I heard they were moving the engine up front on the re-design No?
Old 05-09-2008, 09:51 AM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Just food for thought...if I'm not mistaken I read that VW/Audi will be going to a seven speed DSG soon.

David
Old 05-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

This is a great thread......it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:29 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread is messing me all up! I am not sure I can read anymore!! I am 36 I have lived part of my life in the US and part of my life in Greece. Audi's were good cars for moms to pick up their kids safely, my dad had one for years in his more advanced years, my rich uncles north of 55 years young drove Mercedes and they were staff cars for ambassadors, wonderful quality and stateliness about them. Nissans were econo boxes and except for the odd model or very rare race car (i.e. Quattro) they were nothing to cry home about.

If you have not guessed it yet, I will come out and tell you, I am a Porsche / BMW man to the absolute core!

Now Merc is coming out with sport sedans that sound glorious, Porsche is using Merc trannys (I had no idea), Audis are winning Le Mans races, even the offspring of my father's Audi 80, (last car before he passed), the RS4 is awesome, I find myself lusting over the refined brutality of Z06s, sometimes, and lastly Nissan's latest offering is beating Weissach's best!!!

I guess I am still a Porsche / BMW guy as I sold my 993 in March for a 997S (the other choice was the new M3) but the choice is certainly getting more and more difficult.

Someone please tell me my world will be ok it is just changing and I need to change with it.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Cool

Originally Posted by agdamis
This thread is messing me all up! I am not sure I can read anymore!! I am 36 I have lived part of my life in the US and part of my life in Greece. Audi's were good cars for moms to pick up their kids safely, my dad had one for years in his more advanced years, my rich uncles north of 55 years young drove Mercedes and they were staff cars for ambassadors, wonderful quality and stateliness about them. Nissans were econo boxes and except for the odd model or very rare race car (i.e. Quattro) they were nothing to cry home about.

If you have not guessed it yet, I will come out and tell you, I am a Porsche / BMW man to the absolute core!

Now Merc is coming out with sport sedans that sound glorious, Porsche is using Merc trannys (I had no idea), Audis are winning Le Mans races, even the offspring of my father's Audi 80, (last car before he passed), the RS4 is awesome, I find myself lusting over the refined brutality of Z06s, sometimes, and lastly Nissan's latest offering is beating Weissach's best!!!

I guess I am still a Porsche / BMW guy as I sold my 993 in March for a 997S (the other choice was the new M3) but the choice is certainly getting more and more difficult.

Someone please tell me my world will be ok it is just changing and I need to change with it.
Take two Porsche and call me in the morning. You'll feel better by the time your head hits the pillow!
Old 05-09-2008, 12:53 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

Where in the love of God did ya hear THAT one?

Chris,
The rumor came from a friend who follows the automotive world fairly seriously. The reason I give it credence is not only the source, but the fact that Porsche R&D works with others in the industry to develop products for them. Given that both the Nissan GT-R and the Porsche PDK systems are double clutch units, and both are purported to be seven speed gear boxes, the rumor is credible. Porsche has used Japanese parts in their cars recently, so again, not totally outside the realm of possibility. We should all know in a few months.

Jerry
Old 05-09-2008, 04:49 PM
CPAnderOU
2nd Gear

Nissan's DSG is a 6-speed unit, not 7.

Quick Reply: Okay, my turn...PDK.........my theory