Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono - track, street or just silly?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ds2k1
I have it on mine and love it. I always have it on as I prefer the more immediate feel you get. As a timer, I rarely use it, however. When I do, it's just for ***** and giggles. I did have a very senior PCA instructor in my area tell me at an autocross event that they are "absolutely wonderful" for autocrossing. I would order it again, but don't consider it a "must have".
I agree. I have it on 'Sport' mode almost all of the time, as I quite enjoy the feel of the throttle remapping. It's not a deal-breaker, but I would want it again.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:47 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Silly, do nothing option. Placebo effect because when you press the button it advances the position of the throttle to make you think it's faster. Zero improvement on performance, in fact those that track will tell you the sport throttle map is worse than stock. Want a timing feature, spend the same dollars and get a GPS based timing unit like TraqMate.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I can't see how the sport chrono timer would be at all useful at autocross where loss and victory is measured in terms of hundredths of a second. Any timing system that relies on the driver to find time to twiddle a stalk on the steering column is just not going to be meaningful in that venue. The margin of error for the sport chrono lap timer is orders of magnitude too large to work at an autocross.

I've got sport chrono and I wouldn't buy it again. It's 100% gimmick, imho (tip and turbo cars notwithstanding).
Old 05-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Sadiq
Pro

I'm glad I don't have the wart. I test drove a car with it and it was a distraction.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:45 PM
jackball
Track Day

I have it and like it. Despite what other posters say, I like the added responsiveness of the throttle. The accelerator seem unresponsive when I forget to turn the Sport Mode on. I drive with it on all the time, and would get it again.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:51 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The thing is there is no added responsiveness - it's a trick (placebo effect others refer to) where the throttle map is changed slightly so that to get say 50% throttle you press the pedal 5mm instead of 6mm. That's why most actually don't like sport - it gives you less control over throttle position. Think about a rheostat that has 1" of travel vs. 3/4" of travel. With the longer 1" of travel, you can more easily adjust position. Now if you want a truly better map and response, you have to go aftermarket to something like Softronic, Revo, GIAC, etc.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:04 PM
eqs
Advanced

+1 Ron, you don't have as much throttle control because the mapping is shorter.

Cheers
Old 05-05-2008, 06:05 PM
ceresma
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Ron,
Thanks for the good explanation. I just didn't like the look on the dash.
Mark
Old 05-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have it on my car but wouldn't hesitate to order a car without it.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:24 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have it. the most useless time I have ever spent in a Porsche was when I became obsessed with setting it to 9:11 so that the light would stay on and at least make it appear more pleasant. Nearly impossible to get exactly at 9:11, so there were plenty of Homeresque "D'ohs" along the way. Now I am afraid to touch it.

I agree with the other track afficionados that the throttle in normal mode is easier to modulate and therefore better.

I modified my sport exaust so it is now either full on (no sound cutouts at all) or full off without regard to sport setting.

In light of these mods, I now only use the PASM button to adjust the handling . . . sometimes turning it on only for specific corners, and I NEVER touch the sport mode button.

Now if I could noly mod one of the stalks on the column to turn PASM off and on . . . hhmmmmmm

The bottom line for me is that I wouldn't miss it if I didn't have it, but I wouldn't turn down a car merely because it did have it. No big deal either way.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:28 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
To be clear, unless you have a turbo or a tiptronic, there are no performance enhancements from the sport chrono. Pushing the sport button changes the throttle mapping, so you get more gas for less throttle input, but at wot, the amount of gas is exactly the same. You do get a more relaxed PSM setting, but I track my car a fair amount, am in the highest run group in my PCA region, and rarely have PSM intervene on the track. When it does I'm generally happy to "see' it.

As far as using SC as a lap timer, I've tried it, but most of the time I find that I forget to toggle it while I'm on the track. It's just not useful, and if you really want a lap timer, for the money you can do much much better.

It does look cool when it's lit up though.
100% Correcto!
Old 05-05-2008, 06:34 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I have it. the most useless time I have ever spent in a Porsche was when I became obsessed with setting it to 9:11 so that the light would stay on and at least make it appear more pleasant. Nearly impossible to get exactly at 9:11, so there were plenty of Homeresque "D'ohs" along the way. Now I am afraid to touch it.

I agree with the other track afficionados that the throttle in normal mode is easier to modulate and therefore better.

I modified my sport exaust so it is now either full on (no sound cutouts at all) or full off without regard to sport setting.

In light of these mods, I now only use the PASM button to adjust the handling . . . sometimes turning it on only for specific corners, and I NEVER touch the sport mode button.

Now if I could noly mod one of the stalks on the column to turn PASM off and on . . . hhmmmmmm

The bottom line for me is that I wouldn't miss it if I didn't have it, but I wouldn't turn down a car merely because it did have it. No big deal either way.
TD Have you put in the switch in the cockpit? Does this work well for you?
Old 05-05-2008, 06:36 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
TD Have you put in the switch in the cockpit? Does this work well for you?
Yes, I put the switch in the ashtray/cigarette lighter tray in the center console.

The ability to have full loud sound throughout the rpm range while retaining the ability to shut off at will has (1) made me very happy with the throaty exhaust at all rpm ranges; (2) improved my marriage; (3) made my neighbors happier; and (4) reduced scrutiny from the men and women in blue. win/win/win/win as far as I am concerned.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:10 PM
jackball
Track Day

Perhaps "responsiveness" was not the right word. I won't dispute that the "Sport" mode is a trick or whatever. I like the trick/remap. I like tapping the gas pedal and the thing taking off. I have had my 997 for only 6 months, and have no plans of going to the track with it, so I can understand track guys liking to have a little more control over the throttle. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono - track, street or just silly?