Sponsored by:

Do all leathers smell alike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 01:36 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The natural leathers are tanned differently than the rest, resulting in an odor that sticks around a bit longer than the rest. (Those have their colors painted on). In time it will lose the smell as it dries out. Keep up with the leather treatment,--at LEAST twice a year to keep some of that scent.
My comparisons are between black and stone gray, which are standard leathers. Perhaps the difference is due to my black one being older (2005), and that the stone gray interior on my new one is only 9 months old. Hopefully with more time it will develop the wonderful smell like my 05 cab had.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Leather in Japanese cars hardly smells at all. Iam told that Japanese don't like the smell of leather. Go figure.

Best,
That is 100% true. The Japanese actually go to extensive lengths to remove the leather smell from their leather. Unfortunately, this means that while the leather in our Lexus LS and LX are beautifully done and wear extremely well, they don't have that rich leather aroma.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:41 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Reminds me of the day that I really fell in love with cars. I was at a jaguar dealer when I was about 12 years old, an XK was on the show room floor, it was a warm day and the sun light was pretty intence. I opened the door to this car and was hit with such a wonderful smell of full leather interior that I swore that I would "own a car like that" well I have never owned a Jaguar but every porsche and bmw I've owned has had full leather.
Just thought I'd share
Old 05-05-2008, 08:05 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pbarch1
Reminds me of the day that I really fell in love with cars. I was at a jaguar dealer when I was about 12 years old, an XK was on the show room floor, it was a warm day and the sun light was pretty intence. I opened the door to this car and was hit with such a wonderful smell of full leather interior that I swore that I would "own a car like that" well I have never owned a Jaguar but every porsche and bmw I've owned has had full leather.
Just thought I'd share
I know how you feel, I bought a 1982 jag xk6 and to this day can still remember the first time I sat in that car, what a wonderful aroma!
Old 05-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Actually modern tanning methods leave finished leather with very little smell/aroma. They ( leather supplier) have to add that aroma ( purchased from a fragrance producer) so the buyer gets the entire experience of what they paid for. The same is true for that new car smell. That is a fragrance that is added to the interior. Otherwise your new car wold smell like paint, rubber or some other material that stinks.

Quick Reply: Do all leathers smell alike?