Sponsored by:

Quick Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008 | 09:20 AM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Default Quick Question

My C2S came with brakes from the Turbo.
Anyway, I've had it on the track twice and now, on the street, I get a very audible brake squeal in everyday driving.
Is this normal??
TIA,
Mr. B
Old 04-17-2008 | 10:21 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

How did your C2S get brakes from a Turbo?

What pads are you using?

Have you done an Italian tuneup lately? Germans respond to the Italian way very well at times.
Old 04-17-2008 | 10:27 AM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Default Background

Originally Posted by TD in DC
How did your C2S get brakes from a Turbo?
What pads are you using?
Have you done an Italian tuneup lately? Germans respond to the Italian way very well at times.

My car was a CPO with 6000 miles.
The original owner had PCCB's but did not like them.
I don't know why he didn't like them, because I think they're fabulous.
But, he didn't track the car.
Anyway, he took the car back to the dealership and they removed the PCCB's and replaced them with brakes from the Turbo. So, the car has the stock Turbo pads.
I have no idea what an "Italian tuneup" is.
Mr. B
Old 04-17-2008 | 02:15 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not normal. You might 1st try going to a self serve high pressure wash and stick that wand in there & blow-out all the dust and dirt.
And then......I'd question whether they really are OE pads.
If they are.......the only other issues is whether they may be missing the pad shims.
.......and, as a tip, many people bevel off edge of new pads.
Old 04-17-2008 | 04:33 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

I didn't think that the rotors and the rest of the hardware from a Turbo fit on C2Ss. Weird.

In any event, if it is an oem pad and not some race compound, the squeeking is from glazing.

An italian tuneup is in order. Italian tuneup = drive the car hard. Go out and follow the procedure for breaking in new brake pads. Squeek should go away unless someone misinformed you.
Old 04-17-2008 | 04:41 PM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Default Ah

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I didn't think that the rotors and the rest of the hardware from a Turbo fit on C2Ss. Weird.

In any event, if it is an oem pad and not some race compound, the squeeking is from glazing.

An italian tuneup is in order. Italian tuneup = drive the car hard. Go out and follow the procedure for breaking in new brake pads. Squeek should go away unless someone misinformed you.
Ah, so that's like the bedding-in process that I do on my racecar!
Thanks,
Mr. B
Old 04-17-2008 | 04:54 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The previous owner should have kept the PCCBs and given the hardware to you when you bought the car. The better the brake package the more noise it makes. PCCBs are noisey too.
Old 04-17-2008 | 04:59 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've heard of C2 owners doing Turbo brakes but it's $2-3K in parts plus time.....unlikely.
Old 04-17-2008 | 05:04 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by OldGuy
The previous owner should have kept the PCCBs and given the hardware to you when you bought the car. The better the brake package the more noise it makes. PCCBs are noisey too.
Huh? Noise is primarily a function of pad compound, or so I have always been told. Seems like you can control noise through changing pads. I have never heard of noise varying between quality of brake systems assuming that pad compound remains constant. I could be wrong, but that sounds strange.
Old 04-17-2008 | 05:28 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Dood, purely an observation on my part. My irons were noisey on my TT, my gen I PCCBs were noisier on my 996 GT3 and the best brakes I have had so far are noisier still the genII PCCBs.
As you state could just be the changes in pad compound. I am not stating this as fact at all. Just that if you have a good brakeset, there is no gaurantee that they are going to be quiet.
Just an off the hand comment. It has been debated so much in these forums its not even worth looking in the archives. You'll come back with TONS of data.
Old 04-17-2008 | 06:01 PM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Default It's like this

Originally Posted by GreggT
I've heard of C2 owners doing Turbo brakes but it's $2-3K in parts plus time.....unlikely.
I got the car from Brumos Porsche. The car was owned by one of their long-term customers. He insisted on the brake swap from PCCB's to the Turbo brakes. I would have much preferred the PCCB's. In fact, when I heard the story I asked for the PCCB's but they said the parts were no longer available. I race in SCCA and I am very used to brake noise. In fact, I like it.
I was just asking about my C2S to find out if it's normal.

Many thanks for all the comments.
Mr. B
Old 04-17-2008 | 06:04 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Yeah, I wasn't picking a fight, OG, it just sounded funny to me (or at least to the engineer in me).

B. Italian tune-ups are good and, at worst, they don't change anything. Most likely, your brakes will be silent after the IT.

Quick Reply: Quick Question