Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track experience with Damptronics?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 10:57 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Track experience with Damptronics?

I'm seriously considering a set of Damptronics for PASM and wonder who out there has first hand or even second hand real-world feedback on the track. I'd not lower all the way, maybe just 3/4" because I already scratch on some driveways. I actually like the OEM suspension, but realize the benefit of a lower CG and updated track-oriented damper and spring rates. Amazingly, the JIC in my 964 with 564/674 spring rates is great on the street so I wonder if the same can be said for the Damptronics (I assume so). Anyone here in CT have a 997 with PASM Damptronics?

Also, for those that have, did you change sways and if so, which ones? I'm wondering about alignment specifications - not many shops around me have experience with Damptronics and adjustable sways on a 997S.

Thanks,
Ron
Old 04-07-2008, 02:22 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Ron,

Sorry, no answers but more questions. I've been trying to figure out exactly what the Damptronics get you. Are they like the standard PSS9's in that you get ride height adjustment, and dial-in dampening settings? Or just the height adjustment? Curious on how a dial-in dampening system would function along side PASM.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:30 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron,

I went with the Damptronics, and have tracked them once. The day was too wet and cold to get a real good feeling for the changes. I have a few more track days coming up in the next month. I did change the sway bars for H&R, only because they were relatively inexpensive and the suspension was changing. I had my car lowered to ROW height and had the factory ROW track alignment done. Car feels great on the street, and is about 20% stiffer then stock.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:15 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Ron:

Not sure if you have posted this on 6spd but more people there have the Damptronics.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:18 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I'll give it a try - not many trackers over there
Old 04-07-2008, 07:48 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Ron, from my understanding is that the Damptronics is a 50/50 steet track type of set up and that the PSS9's or JWC or Cross Coilovers is more suited to the track. One of my track buddy just put Cross coil overs on his 997S because he tracks it more than uses it on the street.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:53 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

That's what I figure too - my 964 has JIC which is more track oriented, but still good on the street. For PASM we don't have many choices other than OEM and Damptronic. I'm not out to get the last 10th out of the 997S, but to be able to properly lower the CG by 20mm and firm up the dampening and spring rate would be nice. My JIC has 564/674 spring rates and it's amazingly good on the street due to the well matched shocks. I like the concept of 2 settings by a push of a button - I can't use sport on Lime Rock - the track is in very bad shape, but at Watkins Glen it made an improvement and LRP is about to be repaved in June
Old 04-07-2008, 08:42 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Please keep us posted of your outcome if you try them.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Edwardschmedward had them on his car from FBL in Danbury.

He hasn't posted in some time, so he may have changed cars by now.

Deanski
Old 04-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

ronct, i thought you bought a dedicated 964 track car? still itching to get the 997 out there?

deanski, it was good finally meeting you at danbury porsche this weekend. your car looks even better in person!
Old 04-08-2008, 12:30 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RonCT
For PASM we don't have many choices other than OEM and Damptronic. I'm not out to get the last 10th out of the 997S, but to be able to properly lower the CG by 20mm and firm up the dampening and spring rate would be nice.
That is why I bought them, lowered my car to ROW height, and firmed up the ride a bit. I was trying to get halfway between the C2S and the GT3 suspension.

FYI there is a set of these for sale on ebay, expires later today. The seller is a dealer, so it should be OK.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=011

I like the Damptronic CO's, I will track my car about 5-10 times this year (5 confirmed trying to get to 10 as time allows) so I wanted to change the ride and start learning this set up.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:10 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I do have a 964 prepared for the track, but before making any final conclusions on direction, I want to take the 997S up a notch to compare. Thanks for the tip on eBay - $1800 now and $25 increases to bid, with 1 other bidder. $2590 new from Tire Rack and I can get price match locally with no shipping - so there might not be much saved there.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:39 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RonCT
I do have a 964 prepared for the track, but before making any final conclusions on direction, I want to take the 997S up a notch to compare. Thanks for the tip on eBay - $1800 now and $25 increases to bid, with 1 other bidder. $2590 new from Tire Rack and I can get price match locally with no shipping - so there might not be much saved there.
I agree, some times a deal isn't that great a deal when you talk to the local vendor. I bought mine from the guys that did the install (even paid a little more), this way we are both happy.

If you have the money, do it. It is a great upgrade for the 997.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:52 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nine9Sixer
ronct, i thought you bought a dedicated 964 track car? still itching to get the 997 out there?

deanski, it was good finally meeting you at danbury porsche this weekend. your car looks even better in person!
Thank you and it sure was nice to finally meet up with another fellow RENNLIST member!!

Soon, I too will be over at FBL doing Damptonics one of these days!

Deanski
Old 04-09-2008, 07:26 PM
akshon
Track Day

I have had the pss-damptronic since it first came out. Had about 6 track days all at Willow Springs.

In normal mode the car is significantly stiffer than stock with no body roll. Sport mode is pretty damn stiff but is much less bouncier than stock.

My previous car was a e46 m3 with tck sa coils with 550/600 spring rates. For some reason my car with the pss seems much stiffer (dont know the spring rate on the pss). However on the street I think that the PSS set up is similar to stock in terms of ride quality.

On track I usually leave it on sport mode since I get a stiffer setting but the only problem I encounter is sometimes I get this mid corner bump steer issues. Its a little unnerving but its fine if you get used to it.

I also have H&R sway bars. Fronts are non adjustable and the rear i set it on 2/3. This significantly improved my overall suspension set up and would advise you to get them together eventually.

Im currently running 1.6 camber zero toe up front and 2.0 with 1/8 toe in the rear and I just started using toyo r888 in 19" size on my stock lobster forks. I do not have gt3 control arms but am thinking of it as i believe my new tires can use more camber.

Quick Reply: Track experience with Damptronics?