Sponsored by:

PCCB Appeal/longevity

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:26 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by docjackson1
you are correct. i hate to disagree with some of you on this pccb love fest, but right in the handbook, it tells you that the stopping distance for the steel brakes and the ceramics are the same-i would say that the only difference would be repetative stops in a race type setting. for daily road use, there is no substantial difference, except for cosmetic. if you want to buy it, it is your business and $8500. i would rather spend the money on better leather, more leather, different color stitching, etc. it depends on your priority, but for 97% of us who never or rarely see a track, the steel brakes feel world class to me.
No doubt the cast rotors provide the awesome feel when not put to the test.

The majority posting here seem to like the look, lack of brake dust, advanced technology, etc. I think you'll also find that many of the people ordering these brakes aren't trading leather and thread for PCCBs. Likely the cars were orders to their liking. I bought mine already proven and was fortunate the previous owner bucked up for them. I will say that after having them I would not get another car without them.

Do you have em' by any chance?
Old 04-17-2008, 10:47 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no-i don't have them-i did test drive a carrera with pccbs and i couldn't tell the difference, but i have never driven on a track (although i would love to take a course and learn how to better drive my porsche). i have had about 10 different porsches (everything from a 944 turbo in 1985) to various carreras, c4s and turbos. i use my car to go to work and to enjoy driving on the roads on the weekend, and in that capacity, i am convinced that the expenditure of $8500 would be a waste for me. if i was big into the tracks, then i could see the possible reason to spend the money, but for my, and probably 95% of everyone else who rarely or never hits the track, i think it is a waste of money. i am certainly not criticizing anyone who wants to spend that amount of money for the ceramics, as it is clearly a personal decision.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:34 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a reason why Ferrari has now made Carbo Ceramic brakes standard equipment... They are awesome! They are one of my favorite things about the car. I'm at 10,000 miles, no noise, no issues whatsoever. No brake dust, awesome performance. Love 'em.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:30 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 681 Likes on 346 Posts

Look, this is like any question that asks about options, colors, PCCB, etc. Those that have it love it and those that didn't buy it don't miss it. It's just human nature. When was the last time you heard someone say "God, I hate the color of my car" or "damnit, why did I buy all this leather".

I had the reds on my '06 997S and they were awesome. I drove a car w/ PCCB and I (my opinion) loved the way they felt so I bought them. Along with a lot of other "unnecessary" options. I built the car for me, not worrying about re-sale, the next guy etc.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:23 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,366 Likes on 632 Posts

docjackson, you're totally right. I'm lucky enough to have them on my RS and I use them on the track. for a car that will never see track time, $8880 for the pccbs is probably excessive...but lets face it, having a pcar or a ferrari or an H2 for that matter is already excessive from the start. For me, I really notice how much easier the car is going over potholes and rough roads because of the lighter weight. I had steels on a regular GT3 and it's noticeable less jarring...although for a 997 coupe you can still get that effect from lighter wheels.

we don't need 400, 500 or 600 horsepower either- but it's a hell of a lot of fun. It's good that porsche has them as optional- that way we can all have completely individual cars.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:12 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure why anyone would need these unless a very advanced driver with serious track use in mind. Replacement cost is extremely expensive. The majority of the people here, myself included do not need PCCBs to stop arround town. Even those that use their cars for the track probably do not need them either. My buddy's 996 Cup Car doesn't have them come to think of it, do the new Cup Cars or RSR have them?
Old 04-18-2008, 06:20 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

There is a guy over on 6speed that goes by mkk62 that has a C2S with PCCB's and he uses it everyday and tracks it. I met him last weekend at Chin. He drives excellent and is an instructor. I am sure he can answer anyones PCCB durabilty questions.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:09 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

The GT2 comes with them,--does that tell you what Porsche thinks of them?
Old 04-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
The majority of the people here, myself included do not need PCCBs to stop arround town.
The majority of the people here do not need Porsches to drive around town. Your point?
Old 04-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
The majority of the people here do not need Porsches to drive around town. Your point?
aw shucks, you beat me to it! like any p-car purchase, even for the track, is one of necessity and not pure frivolity and luxury
Old 04-19-2008, 12:21 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

PCCB...How good are they ... GREAT!
The last stop is as good as the first!
The initial bite is incredible.
They may not stop you any quicker, but they are confidence inspiring.
Lower unsprung weight .. 50% of iron rotors.
For those that do not go on the track and just drive around, you may never a brake job (Pads&Rotors)

At PDE it is interesting to drive a Carrera w/steel then an S w/PCCB then back to the Carrera, you will then know how good they are.

Brake dust..much reduced. No iron dust from steel rotors, but there none the less, more grey than black. See pic

Would I option them again ...YES!

Last edited by MJones; 08-03-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 238 Posts

Now if someone could come up with an inflatable spare solution that fits over the PCCBs, I would order them on my next car....but until then,...nope.
For that matter, I'm not sure my 18" winter wheels will work with PCCB either.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:15 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Nugget
one of the best counterpoints I have ever read!
Old 04-23-2008, 10:31 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Now if someone could come up with an inflatable spare solution that fits over the PCCBs, I would order them on my next car....but until then,...nope.
For that matter, I'm not sure my 18" winter wheels will work with PCCB either.
That is an interesting question--do 18" winter wheels work with PCCBs???
Old 04-23-2008, 09:07 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget

Yeah, Yeah.............. I know. Just have fun what ever floats your boat.

Quick Reply: PCCB Appeal/longevity