Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checklist for my 997 order

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 04:32 PM
OH997
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as the NAV is concerned does anyone know when the software was last updated. I had the nav option in my 05 997 and it was just OK. There was talk at the time that there would be a software upgrade made available that made the system more accurate.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

Only if you order the Adaptive Sport Seats can you wind up with that silver/grey plastic junk on the backs of the seats. The regular seats will be finished in leather. With *** seats you have to spend another $1600 to get leather on the rears. (My SEATS alone cost more than my first Porsche!)
Old 04-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by richc
Here's a recent review of the '08 Nav system.

http://reviews.cnet.com/convertible/...-32915295.html
Several errors in the review, just to shw how little they know Porsche. (It's Carrara white, silly, not Carrera white). And the car doesn't drop .4 inches when sport mode is selected. The PSM cars are automatically .4 inches lower all the time....and the list goes on.

Keep in mind that the navigational software was not written with the USA in mind. (For example, in america, we think of places first by STATE, and then on from there. This system expects you to pick out the city and then figure out which "Anytown" is in the state you want. Wouldn't it be a lot easier to give us a state level filter first?) And Lat/Long. WHOEVER put a longitude into any navigational tool FIRST before Latitude??

But there are plenty of pluses.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:23 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 261 Likes on 142 Posts

Dan the man, I love your car. It is the most loaded Porsche I think I've ever seen. I drool over your car everytime I see it on here. Is there any options you bought, you would not buy again?

Oh, I love the C2, but is there a reason you didn't jump on the 4?
Old 04-14-2008, 12:13 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugnacious
To each his own but I have the factory nav (and have spent the time to learn how to use it) and whereas I know the after market units are more user friendly and offer more features, the last thing I want in a $100,000+ luxury car is an after market unit attached to the windshield with suction cups or sliding around the dash mounted to a bean bag, having to route wires to a power outlet and then have to remember to turn the thing off when I exit the car. The factory unit looks like it belongs in the car and not like an after thought or like you are trying to pinch pennies.
+1

Hello thief......here's a NAV unit for you to "borrow"

Let me throw in a radar detector too.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:30 AM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Edgy/Dan, thought you were an X-51 guy?
Old 04-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

There are no options that I wouldn't have ordered on second thought. As far as the X51, I left it off. I couldn't justify the $16K for 26 extra ponies. I did, however, add the X51 headers, so that if someone were crawling around UNDER my car they'd THINK I had the X51!
Old 04-15-2008, 05:49 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really surprised to see the strong feelings in favor of the nav unit. It was on my earlier spreadsheets, but fell off b/c of the negative feedback on here in other threads. So now it's back on (*see footnote).

This change, as well as the subtraction of supple leather and power seats, results in the following spec:

Targa 4S
Dark Olive Metallic
natural brown full leather interior
wheel cap colored crest
heated seats
PSE
Nav
Bose
fire extinguisher
floor mats
self-dimming mirrors

and the MSRP is $165 more than the earlier version.

Now I have to figure out who's got the allocation for this year or next -- from the other comments I've read it doesn't sound like the targas are exactly flying off the shelves.

*Footnote:
All specs subject to my final decision, after sitting in seats, playing with dials, and annoying my salesman with questions. This isn't a vote on how to build a 997 kinda thread, just looking for your opinions so I'm sure I've considered everything I need to. thanks again.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:54 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dD/dt
I'm really surprised to see the strong feelings in favor of the nav unit. It was on my earlier spreadsheets, but fell off b/c of the negative feedback on here in other threads. So now it's back on (*see footnote).

This change, as well as the subtraction of supple leather and power seats, results in the following spec:

Targa 4S
Dark Olive Metallic
natural brown full leather interior
wheel cap colored crest
heated seats
PSE
Nav
Bose
fire extinguisher
floor mats
self-dimming mirrors

and the MSRP is $165 more than the earlier version.

Now I have to figure out who's got the allocation for this year or next -- from the other comments I've read it doesn't sound like the targas are exactly flying off the shelves.

*Footnote:
All specs subject to my final decision, after sitting in seats, playing with dials, and annoying my salesman with questions. This isn't a vote on how to build a 997 kinda thread, just looking for your opinions so I'm sure I've considered everything I need to. thanks again.
You can buy the wheel cap colored crest from ebay, same price and you have a 2nd set. Also, get a set of Lloyd custom flloor mats instead of the factory's.

I would add the "logo" armrest thing too.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:55 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Forgot about the comments on the wheels.

I know XRR are the most logical choice. I just really like the way the lobster forks look, and the Sports don't do it for me. Who knows, maybe they'll be an addition to the family, so I can put snow tires on the 'forks, and summers on the XRR.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:43 AM
CBnAT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought I was on the lookout for a car without Nav to save some change. I didn't have it in my BMW so I figured I wouldn't need it in the new car. Well, the car I fell in love with has Nav. I have used it and although I think it takes a little too long to input an address I do like it and now use it. It is much easier than trying to read google maps while driving, especially with the 6 speed.

Just my .02

Enjoy the car either way!
Old 04-16-2008, 06:23 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I love the NAV System and have used it all over the US.

I just fooled around with the Nav in my friends Merc SL.... not as easy to use as the P car IMHO
Old 04-16-2008, 06:27 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

I highly suggest a read through the PCCB thread currently going. I agree with most on there that it would be at the top of my option list if I were to get another car.

I'm currently hot on Champion RS98 as well.

Quick Reply: Checklist for my 997 order