Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried Blackberry Pearl (or similar) as MP3 player with Dension Gateway 500?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 04:27 PM
jackball
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone tried Blackberry Pearl (or similar) as MP3 player with Dension Gateway 500?

I am condsidering purchasing a Dension Gateway 500, but don't have an Ipod. I have a good amount of music on my Blackberry Pearl, which serves as a decent mp3 player. I like carrying only one device, if possible, hence my reluctance to buy a proper ipod. Has anyone used the Gateway 500 with a Pearl or some other mass storage device type mp3 player with the GW 500? I just wanted some feedback on (1) the ease of controlling the device through the PCM and (2) the sound quality. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Do yourself a favor and spring for an iPod. These other devices do not work well with the Dension, though some USB devices will.

You can leave the iPod in the vehicle since you won't need it with you, just place in glove box and that's it.

We have the newest units in stock now, all with the newest updated cable too.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 04-11-2008, 06:03 PM
jackball
Track Day

Thanks Eric. I'm the guy that emailed you several times this week, once asking this question. I may end up getting the ipod, but was just curious if anyone had success (or disaster) with the pearl in this application.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Do yourself a favor and spring for an iPod. These other devices do not work well with the Dension, though some USB devices will.

You can leave the iPod in the vehicle since you won't need it with you, just place in glove box and that's it.

We have the newest units in stock now, all with the newest updated cable too.
Eric,
I'm getting conflicting information and hope you can clear things up.

Is it true the new Dension Gateway 500 will allow me to keep my multi-cd player with IPOD integration? or is the issue, the reprogramming of MOST headunit to acknowledge another device "in the chain"?

Also is install "plug & play from CD changer area or ...???

If I'm going to control my IPOD from headunit then no need for me to hav in cabin. I can leave in trunk next to changer for easy install.

Please advise.

2007 997 Cab C4S
Old 04-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Dension Gateway 500 allows retention of CD Changer - yes.

You can install the GW500 main unit at the point where the cd changer is, then plug the cd changer optical into the second optical port of the GW500 - yes.

Yes, can leave iPod in trunk if desired, or route to glove box too. Cable is long enough to get you there, and our detailed instructions go well beyond the package insert to guide you.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:33 AM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

I've just finished the bulk of the install of the GW500 (& BTA1500 bluetooth module) into my '05 C2S cab. I have PCM with DVD Nav and CD-Changer. The logic of the install is very straightforward. Take it slowly, read all the instructions, etc. Some people get stymied by the fiber instructions but when I followed them, they worked fine.

If you install near the CD changer (recommended I believe), I found it was worth removing the CD changer entirely and its mounting bracket - this really opens up the area allowing you to grab unswitched power (wire taps from the CD changer power harness), dress the fibers and wires more appropriately, etc.

The cables are apparently long enough to route to the glove box (per Eric's statement) - but I found when I did it that things were just not quite where I wanted them and it was a tight fit to get the wires into the glove box. So right now, I have everything in the trunk except for the mic for the bluetooth module. I'm probably going to spring for the extension cable (Eric sells it as well) to make a clean route to the console behind the e-brake.

I found it a little challenging to find where to route the wires from the trunk to the battery compartment ... everyone refers to the grommet behind the battery for getting into the main cabin (remove the battery clamp and slide the battery to the passenger end of its tray to give yourself some room) - that one was pretty straight forward.

But it took me a while to find how to get from the trunk to the battery. Turns out there is a similar grommet just behind and below where the CD changer is mounted. Look for it from the battery side and you will see it. If you cut a slit and feed a wire through it, you can use your finger to fish it out right near the back of where the CD changer goes.

Controlling the iPod via the PCM takes a little getting used to and there are a couple of post-install configuration things you need to pay attention to in the instructions. But once you get used to it, its pretty good. I agree that I think its worth investing in a small / eBay iPod ... I tried the BT Audio (theoretically supported I think with the BTA1500 bluetooth adapter) with my Blackberry 8310 but I couldn't find the magic incantation to get it to work.

Last edited by acadian_dad; 04-12-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:45 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I played around with BT audio from my BB Curve. I thought it worked quite well and sound quality was fine. I only controlled it from the BB though, not the PCM (other than volume and switching to that as a source input)

Originally Posted by jackball
I am condsidering purchasing a Dension Gateway 500, but don't have an Ipod. I have a good amount of music on my Blackberry Pearl, which serves as a decent mp3 player. I like carrying only one device, if possible, hence my reluctance to buy a proper ipod. Has anyone used the Gateway 500 with a Pearl or some other mass storage device type mp3 player with the GW 500? I just wanted some feedback on (1) the ease of controlling the device through the PCM and (2) the sound quality. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:52 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Is your blackberry working with the BTA1500 for phone calls ? I have an 8310 and its not working well at all. If I place a call from the BBY, the PCM will sometimes provide the audio. If I get an incoming call, the PCM will usually provide the audio. I'm having no luck at all getting the PCM to make a call itself through the BT link to the BBY. To see if I was messed up, I tried a colleague's iPhone 3G BT link today and it worked fine ...

Has anyone tried an iPhone 3G-S with the BTA1500 ?
Old 04-12-2010, 08:59 PM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Originally Posted by acadian_dad
Is your blackberry working with the BTA1500 for phone calls ? I have an 8310 and its not working well at all. If I place a call from the BBY, the PCM will sometimes provide the audio. If I get an incoming call, the PCM will usually provide the audio. I'm having no luck at all getting the PCM to make a call itself through the BT link to the BBY. To see if I was messed up, I tried a colleague's iPhone 3G BT link today and it worked fine ...

With my old Curve (8330) the mic pick-up volume was way, way too low (functionally unusable), but otherwise it seemed to work fine. I have a new phone now, the new BB Bold 9700, but have not yet set it up with the BTA-1500. My wife has an iPhone 3Gs so I will test both and report back.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:42 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by acadian_dad

Dension directly told me FLAT OUT Blackberry is not fully supported.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:43 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schwartzwest
With my old Curve (8330) the mic pick-up volume was way, way too low (functionally unusable), but otherwise it seemed to work fine. I have a new phone now, the new BB Bold 9700, but have not yet set it up with the BTA-1500. My wife has an iPhone 3Gs so I will test both and report back.
Hey quick question. Where did you install your Dension in Vancouver? Looking for a good, not too expensive installer.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:55 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Originally Posted by alexb76
Hey quick question. Where did you install your Dension in Vancouver? Looking for a good, not too expensive installer.
I did it myself.

It's relatively easy to do. If you don't feel like doing it, perhaps give Ralph's Radio (220 East 1st Ave.) a try- they have done very nice work for me in the past.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:28 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

I did it myself.

It's relatively easy to do. If you don't feel like doing it, perhaps give Ralph's Radio (220 East 1st Ave.) a try- they have done very nice work for me in the past.
Where did u mount it? trunk or behind the PCM?
Old 04-13-2010, 11:56 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Originally Posted by alexb76
Where did u mount it? trunk or behind the PCM?
I mounted it in the trunk.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:33 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Hate to be a pest - but any luck trying out the Bold 9700 or the 3G-S with the BTA1500 ?

Quick Reply: Anyone tried Blackberry Pearl (or similar) as MP3 player with Dension Gateway 500?