Sponsored by:

Do you need a PPI on a CPO 2005 C2S?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I would have him check the ECU for over-revs and provide you with a written report. I would also have him furnish the service records based on the VIN number...
do the above at the very least. i'm pretty neurotic and when i bought 2 CPO 911's from my dealer, i did without doing PPI's. First, my dealer is top notch. Second, the car was still in its original warranty period as well as the CPO. obviously, most things that could go wrong would be covered. i personally don't think it's worth it. that all being said, if you don't mind the hassle and cost, why not do the PPI.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:34 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

One time I didn't get a PPI and two months later, BAM, I got the flu.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:53 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Originally Posted by MrBonus
One time I didn't get a PPI and two months later, BAM, I got the flu.
Ha!

...best answer yet.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:05 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy
Had she spent $200 on a PPI, she'd be ahead of the game and would have had even more leverage negotiating the purchase price. Penny wise, pound foolish.

Maybe......maybe not. Anyone who thinks a PPI will guarantee the car has no defects could end up disappointed. I had one done on a Z4 I bought out of state for my wife. Report came back indicating the car was every bit as perfect as the NJ BMW dealership promised. Then the car gets here with 4 curbed wheels, stains on the upholstery, a 3" cut in the driver's leather seat, a scratched front bumper and so badly out of alignment my wife refused to drive it.

Turns out the truck driver who brought the car to Florida did a better inspection than the PPI clown, noting all these defects except the alignment on his inspection form. Called the PPI company where they had little to say except a half hearted apology and a promise to refund the $180 or whatever the charge was. Got $500 back from the dealer after a bloody battle so all and all not a great experience.

By the way, I think the paragraph below is pretty much standard for the industry. In plain english........they guarantee exactly nothing:

8. LIMITATION OF REMEDY. Customer agrees that the aggregate liability of CARCHEX and its stockholders, members, partners, directors, managers, officers, employees, agents and Affiliates (each, a "CARCHEX Indemnified Party" and collectively, the "CARCHEX Indemnified Parties") to Customer or to Customer's stockholders, members, partners, managers, directors, officers, employees or agents for any action, damage, claim, liability, cost, expense or loss in any way arising out of or related to this Agreement and/or any inspection of any vehicle by CARCHEX or any of its agents, and/or out of other goods and/or services provided by CARCHEX or any Affiliate shall be limited to (i.e., may not be more than, but can be less than) the fees paid by Customer to CARCHEX pursuant to this Agreement.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:29 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

I had my LX450 inspected and the heater core managed to burst about a month later, the power steering pump failed within a matter of months, and the rear main seal started to leak. The mechanic I used is a friend and well-versed in the vehicles but no PPI could detect that normal wear items were at the end of their life cycle.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by purrybonker
I always get a kick out of this kind of thinking. A guy could have a lot of fun analysing this from any different numbers of angles (the rationalization of "needing" a PPI for peace of mind - not for any practical purpose).

Some people think other people are spend-thrifts (or irresponsible idiots) for buying cars without spending time and money on appropriate dilligence. Somehow, in their minds, it makes perfect sense to throw away tens of thousands of $ on a personal indulgence, yet it makes no sense to accept the risk of a few grand in repairs/maintenance.

In other words - I'm ok for throwing $100 grand into a fire pit, but I'm going to be damn sure to hire someone to count the money for me before I throw it in. It would be ridiculous to throw in $105 grand by mistake.

It's like all the whiners that gripe about paying $3 bucks a gallon for gas, yet grab a bottle of Dasani (at $5 a gallon) at the gas station cash register. City tap water bottled - this is a rational buying decision, yet gas prices are outrageous.

Of course you don't need a PPI - but if it lets you sleep at night - go for it.
That's not my point at all. A PPI is information - and darn cheap information. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't. The practical reality is that all the warranty coverage in the world doesn't replace any of the hassle and time spent getting the warranty service performed. So if you value that time more than the cost of the PPI which may uncover something, you go for it.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:01 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uh, how would a PPI have caught a worn clutch?
You can test for clutch slippage. Don't you know how?
Old 04-11-2008, 06:41 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TD in DC
You can test for clutch slippage. Don't you know how?
Clearly I don't and apparently you didn't either.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:00 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

I'd spend a few hundred just to have the peace of mind.

I regret not doing it on my car-still would have bought it although I would have haggled much harder.

Would you buy a house without a home inspection? From a cost standpoint many of the major repairs on a 997 are probably in the neighborhood of home repairs.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:01 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clearly I don't and apparently you didn't either.
I do, but I didn't think I had to, which was one of the mistakes. Most buyers think that the CPO inspection done by the dealer is comprehensive. It really is not. You can get a copy of the list and look to see exactly what they check.

Of course a PPI will not catch everything. Clearly. However, it is wise as a matter of principle to have a third-party who is not biased look at any purchase of 70K or above, particularly since the cost of the PPI is negligible. I don't understand why anybody would ridicule someone for doing so, or for advising that it might be a good idea.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:00 PM
ramenboy
AutoX

Thats for all the spirited advice guys. Very much appreciated.

On balance I think that it makes sense to get the PPI done. It may be money wasted, but at least I won't be kicking myself later for not getting it. I doubt I would be kicking myself for being disappointed that the car is perfectly fine.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:46 PM
ThatOneGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Maybe......maybe not. Anyone who thinks a PPI will guarantee the car has no defects could end up disappointed. I had one done on a Z4 I bought out of state for my wife. Report came back indicating the car was every bit as perfect as the NJ BMW dealership promised. Then the car gets here with 4 curbed wheels, stains on the upholstery, a 3" cut in the driver's leather seat, a scratched front bumper and so badly out of alignment my wife refused to drive it.
I agree there is no fool proof method of knowing what you're getting. However it is possible to try to mitigate potential problems with a PPI. For every positive anecdote, there's bound to be a few negative. IMHO, $200 seems like cheap peace of mind, but as you illustrated, your milage may vary. However in that vain, and I'm sure there are thousands people who have without issue, I would never buy a car sight-unseen from someone I didn't know.

To elaborate, in the case of my friend, she bought the car from the dealership where it was serviced and the salesman told her not to bother with a PPI because "it's a BMW CPO, we check everything".

Caveat emptor.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:27 PM
42empress
Racer

my cpo car had been hit and never dislosed to me. It was an 02 in 04 with only 14000 miles, and still had original warranty. Get it done!!!!
Old 04-12-2008, 11:00 AM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I would have him check the ECU for over-revs and provide you with a written report. I would also have him furnish the service records based on the VIN number...
What he said....
Old 04-12-2008, 11:01 AM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rmillnj
Guys, he is buying a CPO car from Porsche dealer. He has 7 months of the bumper to bumper new car warranty and then 2 years up to 100,000 miles of the CPO warranty. In order to get the CPO warranty the selling dealer has to do a fairly intensive inspection. After he takes delivery of the car he can take it to any dealer in the country to have even the most minor things fixed. After that he has two years to find and fix any major motor or transmission problems plus most other mechanical things.

Yes, a PPI might pick something up the dealer missed, but the odds of that are rather insignificant. And it would most likely be something that he could find in normal service anyway. In any case he has 2 years and 7 months to find it and get it fixed. There is no good reason to spend extra money on a PPI on this kind of car. If he was buying from a private party with no warranty, absolutely then a PPI is a great idea.

Having the dealer provide the service records that are in the Porsche system is a very good idea and most dealers will do that, although my dealer would tell you but refuse to print it out. The owner there won't let his service manage do that even after I bought the car from them. There might have been a time where I might have walked on the deal for that, but in hindsight they were 100% reliable and dependable otherwise.
A ppi could reveal that the car needs a clutch, etc, something that's wear and tare and not covered by warranty

Quick Reply: Do you need a PPI on a CPO 2005 C2S?