Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track experience with Damptronics?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:20 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the posts. I think the harshness you might be experiencing is a function of the dampening setting - what are you at now between 1 and 9?

Camber was my 1st project - 1.6 front -1.8 rear. I'm going to try a set of 19" PSCs - maybe I'll look at the R888 - anyone else have any reports on the 19" R888?

Ron
Old 04-09-2008, 10:29 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by akshon
Im currently running 1.6 camber zero toe up front and 2.0 with 1/8 toe in the rear and I just started using toyo r888 in 19" size on my stock lobster forks. I do not have gt3 control arms but am thinking of it as i believe my new tires can use more camber.
Originally Posted by RonCT
Camber was my 1st project - 1.6 front -1.8 rear. I'm going to try a set of 19" PSCs - maybe I'll look at the R888 - anyone else have any reports on the 19" R888?

Ron
Same question for both of you: How are you getting that much camber up front? Ron, I'm thinking I remember that you went to GT3 arms, is that right?

akshon, how do you get that camber without the GT3 arms? Does lowering change the geometry so you can get more camber?

My stock 997S is maxed out at -1.0 front, and my understanding is that is about as much as you can expect from a 997 with stock suspension.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:10 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Same question for both of you: How are you getting that much camber up front? Ron, I'm thinking I remember that you went to GT3 arms, is that right?

akshon, how do you get that camber without the GT3 arms? Does lowering change the geometry so you can get more camber?

My stock 997S is maxed out at -1.0 front, and my understanding is that is about as much as you can expect from a 997 with stock suspension.
Yes Ron has the GT3 control arms.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:16 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I have the 3mm shims in the GT3 Cup (Motorsport) control arms, which I understand is good up to about -2 .5 front. If you want more, use 7mm shims and go crazy
Old 04-10-2008, 03:42 PM
akshon
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe

I'm not positive but I believe the suspension geometry is altered with the coil over set up. I remeber my guy wrenching on the arms to change the camber. However my cornerblanace guy said that 1.4-1.6 is about the max camber you can get without new control arms. I think i need more so I may go with the gt3 cup control arms. Your right though, you can only get about 1.0-1.2 camber on the stock suspension.

The toyo r888 in 19's seem to be on par with the toyo ra-1 18" that i ran on the m3. I cant say for sure yet since I used them once on the track without shaving but it is for sure quite more grippy and stable than the ps2 i was using before. I went with 19's only because I was cheap and didnt want to buy 18" track wheels. 18's should be theoretically better but that difference is perhaps small for someone like me to really feel.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:47 PM
akshon
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
I have the 3mm shims in the GT3 Cup (Motorsport) control arms, which I understand is good up to about -2 .5 front. If you want more, use 7mm shims and go crazy
The toyo rep told me those r888 love lots of camber. Since my car is my only car that I take straight to the track after swapping to stock 19's I wonder if over -2.0 of camber is too much for the street. I was fine running 2.4 front on the m3.

It really is difficult to have a proper track oriented car that can be used as a daily.

I think you are misunderstanding soemthing here. The damptronics are not pss9 or pss10. They are non adjustable (pss?) you just get normal and sport mode. However there is a significant difference between the two. The pss9 i tried briefly on my m3 were some soft garbage but on the c2s it seems to do the trick. If you dont want to retain pasm then kw v3 with custom valving and spring rates are another option. Then its motons etc and it starts getting crazy and might as well buy a gt3.

You want to use both cars on the track ron?
Old 04-10-2008, 04:29 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by akshon
The toyo rep told me those r888 love lots of camber. Since my car is my only car that I take straight to the track after swapping to stock 19's I wonder if over -2.0 of camber is too much for the street. I was fine running 2.4 front on the m3.

It really is difficult to have a proper track oriented car that can be used as a daily.

I think you are misunderstanding soemthing here. The damptronics are not pss9 or pss10. They are non adjustable (pss?) you just get normal and sport mode. However there is a significant difference between the two. The pss9 i tried briefly on my m3 were some soft garbage but on the c2s it seems to do the trick. If you dont want to retain pasm then kw v3 with custom valving and spring rates are another option. Then its motons etc and it starts getting crazy and might as well buy a gt3.

You want to use both cars on the track ron?
Are the damptronics non-adjustable in ride height also?
Old 04-10-2008, 04:53 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Hmmm... Not sure about initial settings - I had thought you could set the dampening and then have normal and sport via the button. One guy that emailed me said he had PASM Damptronics and set them to 3 for a softer initial setting. Maybe he was mistaken and just got the regular PSS9. Either way, I can adjust the sways...

I'm heading to LRP on 4/24 with this car and the Damptronics at -20mm ride height, corner balanced, and alignment reset. I thought about a GT3, but I really like this car and it's "street manners", low profile image (not race-car looking like the GT3), etc.

From the AWE site:

Not only engine performance but, above all, suspension technology contributes to the fascination of a Porsche sports car.

Bilstein offers a full, exclusive range of active sport suspension kits in monotube-inverted technology for individualisation of the current Porsche models with PASM. The Bilstein DampTronic Coilover System is electronically adjustable by the Sport button on your dash. Press the button for a taut, yet comfortable ride, and press it again for a more aggressive, sport ride. However, unlike the factory PASM suspension that also offers these stiffness settings, the Bilstein system also offers lowering and corner balancing through threaded shock bodies.

The Damptronic system offers discreet sporty looks and precisely defined response within both setup modes, accompanied by high driving dynamics and excellent residual ride comfort. Regardless of whether in daily motoring, or at the track for the weekend, it's all pure driving enjoyment!

Product advantages at a glance:

* BILSTEIN mono-tube/inverted technology
* PASM-function and car sensors remain fully active
* BILSTEIN road tested and tuned
* BILSTEIN comfort & sport setting
* Threaded shock body for height adjustment
* German TUV certificate
Old 04-17-2008, 06:09 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Progress Report...

GT3 front sways would only work with new drop links. Rear GT3s wouldn't fit correctly without major investment, so they put an H&R on the back.

Front suspension is making noise... Clank on tight turning, "Sproing" some times too.

Any thoughts? My request was H&R all around, convinced to try the GT3s for adjustment front and rear. Thinking the best bet is H&R all around and forget the front adjustment and leave that as the fixed point of the suspension and work everything else around it (ie: Adjust back).

Edit - went back to the shop after hours where the owner took a long drive with me and figured out exactly what was up. The spring is binding and releasing upon steering causing the clank / boing. There's 1 light blue teflon disc at the perch and we both thought "Hmmm, why aren't there two - one that seats to the top of the perch and one that seats to the spring and they slide against each other..." He's looking into it with Bilstein.

Anyone with Damptronics have a similar experience? Can anyone take a look at the perch tops where the spring top is to see if there is one blue disc, two, or something else? Anyone have noise issues?

Last edited by RonCT; 04-18-2008 at 08:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Track experience with Damptronics?