Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Shift Or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 04:33 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear a short shifter is bad for the syncros.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:19 PM
jjporsch43
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hve B&M SSK-love it. THe stock shifter is crap. The stock shifter in my Skoda is better than the one I had in my C2S..............

JohnJ
Croatia/SA Tx
05 C2S
07 Skoda VRS
Old 04-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Originally Posted by David A

You heard wrong .
The cable travel to the transmission is the same, regardless .

The only thing which changes with the Sport shifter is that the fulcrum is raised , which means you need to travel a shorter distance with the stick above the pivot point ,in order to move the stick (and the cable travel ) below the pivot the same distance .

That's why it requires just a tad more effort to shift .

When installed properly , it's precise as a rifle bolt and should be standard equipment in the car .
Old 04-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

I had a SS in my 996 and chose not to install one in my 997. If you're itching to add something (I understand that feeling), it isn't bad, but not necessary IMHO. And...the notchiness in cold weather is definately true.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:02 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick in Colorado
And...the notchiness in cold weather is definately true.
Yeah, it's definitely there...however I only experience it when it's really cold going into 1st gear. All of the other gears seem to be fine.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:11 AM
plz
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David A
I saved this a while ago, don't recall the source. I think it is from a PCNA document though. Note the paragraph with the arrow (#2). No idea of the accuracy, validity, etc. Just sayin...
Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2008, 01:29 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

I too have a OEM/factory mounted SSK when I did my car. And yes, in cold weather, 1st gear can be a PITA.

I wonder if that memo was just regarding "aftermarket" shift kits as opposed to "OEM" from Porsche.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 04-06-2008, 10:20 AM
plz
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Deanski, the memo does refer to after-market specifically. So I suppose it's easy to be sceptical of it as maybe just some scare tactics by PCNA to sell more OEM kits. I have no direct experience so don't know how to interpret what the memo says. Just passing it along as another perspective.

BTW, all the blackouts on the memo are like I saw it originally, I just found the image somewhere and saved it (for the DME range info actually). In retrospect, I should have saved the source of the memo -- my bad
Old 04-06-2008, 11:48 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Short Shifter

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Am thinking of my next mod and although I've never had a car with it...short shift kit seems a reasonable option to consider. Any thoughts on it pros and cons? I've always had manual cars since I got my 1st car (a Nissan Sentra_ back in the 1980s so shifting is not a problem for me...its a requirement. However I am leary as to whether the short shift kit is worth the difference or if it will be too much of a change for me to deal with.

Anyway seems to courses of option out there exist. B&M short shift or OEM Porsche short shift kit. Any differences or important things to consider with each?

Thanks...will post pics later if I do either!
Ditto everyone else. My 996 I did B&M but new C4S I went with factory and dealer install. Glad I did dealer install because the boot needs to be removed and maybe replaced. Whatever the problem it is their problem!
Old 04-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

OEM SSK, dealer installed, and absolutely zero regrets. I like it so much that I bought a new S-line Audi TT with 6MT - only TT that comes standard with a factory short shifter - you can't even order it as a standalone option.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:03 PM
jaf996cab
Instructor

I have the factory/OEM SSK on m 997TT and love it. Well worth the investment.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Short Shift Or Not?