997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing a New 997

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008 | 07:28 AM
yell03
Rennlist Member

I bought my 2007 Targa 4 in 1/08 for $78K, it has a MSRP of $93K, that works out to about 16% off, but that was on a leftover they really wanted to move.

While I was looking I came across quite a few New Carreras that MSRP around $80K-$82K.
Most dealers agreed to sell in the range of $6K-$7K off sticker on these or about 7.5%-8% off.

For a car that MSRPs around $82K I'll bet you will own it for $76K, a sweet deal for such a great car.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-24-2008 | 10:25 AM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by docjackson1
you are basically correct. i think, though, that some constraint must be used with the supply and demand thing. i just heard on tv that the price of gasoline is up this week because the ethanol producers wanted to "take more profit". they are not screwing us hard enough? i am an internist and was on call all weekend-i had an old lady who needed my help when her heart failed saturday night-what, if like the ethanol producers, i said "the supply of doctors late saturday night is low, so if you want me to help you, i get 3 times my normal rate, as demand is now high and supply is low-you know we never do that, but the animals who produce ethanol do it all the time, and call it good business. i think your porsche dealer shouldn't take your guts out when he has something that you want but that there is a short supply of-getting list gives them a big profit. remember, me getting 10% off the carrera s on saturday still gave the dealer a $2700 profit-in addition, he will make money on my service, and even though i will make sure that i get a low (around 5%) financing rate, i bet he makes a few bucks there too. I agree though-you can't act like an animal on either side-at the end of the day, both people have to walk home with a piece of the pie.
I totally agree with your assessment. One thing to also consider is the "societal need" involved: I rank the heart patient as having a high need, the gas as being a medium need, and the need for a GT3 RS as totally discretionary. [While gas should be more discretionary, it sure isn't in the shorter term] That said, if one feels like they are being gouged on a car, they can walk away most easily.
Old 03-24-2008 | 07:02 PM
997C2SCabMan
Track Day

I've bought 2 997's, a C2S & a C2. I got a discount on both cars. On the C2S, I got $7k off the $107k list price. On the C2, I got $3k off on the $80.5k list. In my opinion, it's all due to timing. If you walk in & say you want to buy this car right now, you have no bargaining power. If you take your time, & pick one that's been sitting on the lot for a few weeks, you have better luck. On my C2S, I visited the dealer over a few months, then waited until after the factory closed for the summer & the dealer wanted to clear inventory for the '08 arrivals. I couldn't pass-up the offer I got. On the C2, I just picked a plain-Jane, stock car & since I was a repeater, they probably cut me a little slack. The longer they've been sitting (costing the dealer interest carry), the more aggressive the discounting. Ordering a car to be built & later delivered is giving the dealer a license to rob you.
Old 03-25-2008 | 07:04 PM
ceresma
Intermediate

Default I got my 2007 leftover C2s Cab msrp - 15,000

I was able to find some left over C2S cabs around. I had to drive a bit but I saved alot! Might be worth a look. (MSRP was just under 106K)
Mark
Old 03-26-2008 | 01:26 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

If you wait a few more months you should be able to pick your car at invoice from dealer stock, body and motor refresh due later this year will drive the prices of new 08's down.
Old 03-26-2008 | 02:19 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

chris may be correct-the improving weather might increase demand, and as supplies sell off, the prices may stabilize. i have been buying porsches since 1985, and luckily, i have probably owned at least 10. this much i can tell you-if you are lucky enough to be able to buy a porsche now, the combination of low interest auto financing and large discounts have given me the best deal i have ever had on a new porsche. i was able to get 10% off a new carrera s and then was able to get 5.5% financing from the dealer (chase). if i wanted to work a little harder, i could have gotten 5% from pen-fed. i could have probably pushed the dealer a bit harder to match the pen-fed, but with 10% off and 5.5% financing, they have to make some profit-even with 10% off, they are making about $2700 on the sale of the car. what i am saying is that if you are looking to buy a 911 within the next 6 months, i would do it now-thereby taking advantage of the large discounts that can be obtained and the low financing that we can get-i am sure that we have all learned from excellent discussions on rennlist that financing gives the dealer another way to make profit on the sale of the car-many posters have told us that when pfs's money factor was .0032, that their dealer was making them pay .0036. when the dealer tells you that you have been approved for 6.5% financing, and they congratulate you on the fine rate that you got and your great credit, it is likely that they are getting the money for substantially less (5%, etc). on a 72 month loan of 100k, 1% can be worth $3600-so remember, the negotiation doesn't end when you agree to the price that you are going to buy the car for.

Quick Reply: Purchasing a New 997