Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing a New 997

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008 | 02:06 PM
riderosa
Advanced

Default Purchasing a New 997

What kind of a deal can I expect from a dealer on new 997? The ones I am looking at list for low to mid eigthties.
Old 03-21-2008 | 03:13 PM
helispud
Pro

Where do you live and how far away are you willing to go to buy a car? In some area's (Souhern California) and small isolated dealers will try to sell at list. High volume dealers in the Northeast ans Midwest will sell at 8 to 12% off list (depending on how the car is optioned, etc, etc).
Old 03-21-2008 | 03:32 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

A friend bought a 08 Carrera S at Champion Porsche in FL and got $10K off the msrp.
Old 03-21-2008 | 04:42 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

I just bought a 05 Carrera S which was about $100K to the original owner. 29K miles and I paid $66K. Considering the options (ie I do not have to put a dime into it) I think I got a fair price.
Old 03-21-2008 | 04:46 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

You did get a good deal, but he wants a new car.
Old 03-21-2008 | 06:18 PM
riderosa
Advanced

Thank you
Old 03-21-2008 | 07:12 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by riderosa
What kind of a deal can I expect from a dealer on new 997? The ones I am looking at list for low to mid eigthties.
It really comes down to the time of year, time of month, your location, and your personal wheeling and dealing skills.

If you're looking at a cabriolet and summer is approaching you will not do as well as you would in December,--obviously. If you're shopping in a high demand market like SoCal,--it will be higher.

Surprisingly, not all SoCal dealers will rip you off at MSRP. Most should deal with you. Try my salesman at 805 682-2000 (Walt) and he can probably work a deal for you. I highly recommend him. SB Auto Group.
Old 03-21-2008 | 08:15 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by riderosa
Thank you
I apologize for trying to help you out Mr. "Thank you". Asking how much you can get off on a brand new example of the pinnacle of German sports cars which everyone knows is all about the options is comical...... But, in the interest of the being gentleman, I'll try. For one follow Edgy01's advice. Try to buy something they have there and are looking to dump, such as a car someone cancelled an order on or a demo car, those I am certain they may make a deal on. 8% to 10% sounds about right. If you go there ready with a three page list of options and your wife's nail polish which you want them to match on the leather interior because you think it would be a cute surprise, you are paying MSRP and then some. Pick your options wisely, decide how important an S is over a regular Carrera and lastly go to a couple of places and pit them against each other, it is no secret they are hurting, although in general that is not a very polite and honorable way of doing business.
Old 03-23-2008 | 12:42 AM
str8line
Relevance Score TBD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by agdamis
it is no secret they are hurting, although in general that is not a very polite and honorable way of doing business.
What does being polite and honorable have to do with looking out for yourself and using your knowledge and a little extra work to try to get the best deal possible? Don't you think dealers try to always look out for themselves even when the customer might be hurting?
Old 03-23-2008 | 12:57 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by str8line
What does being polite and honorable have to do with looking out for yourself and using your knowledge and a little extra work to try to get the best deal possible? Don't you think dealers try to always look out for themselves even when the customer might be hurting?
you are right. i bought a 997 carrera S today off a dealer's lot (new, 2008) for 10% off list-the car was a typically equipt car (nav, bose, chrono, etc) with an msrp of about $92,600. i did speak to a couple other dealers that would do no better than 6.5%, but i have bought a bunch of porsches and other cars over the last 25 years-10% is about right for the market place in march this year with the current economic environment-and if i could get 10% off (the dealer still made about $2500), probably with a bit more aggressiveness, some of you could do better. there is no reason not to take advantage of this buyer's market.
Old 03-23-2008 | 10:17 AM
MartyB
Racer

Originally Posted by docjackson1
you are right. i bought a 997 carrera S today off a dealer's lot (new, 2008) for 10% off list-the car was a typically equipt car (nav, bose, chrono, etc) with an msrp of about $92,600.
Congrats on the S - sounds like you got a good deal on a great car. How about some pics??

I agree that honor has nothing to do with working a car deal. Treat people with respect and do what you say you are going to do. Otherwise, there is no shame in getting a better price than your peers. If the market is invoice, below invoice, or whatever at a given time, you should be paying no more than that unless you are asleep at the wheel or you have more money than you know what to do with.
Old 03-23-2008 | 11:00 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Are you looking to purchase from dealer inventory or are you going to "spec" the car on an order?

Dealer inventory nomally moves at a lower price point, unless it's a special order that someone backed-out. Depending on the options of the backed-out car, sometimes they just want to move the car as it may be a hard sell due to the colors, special options etc. Other backed-out orders can command a steep price if they feel it can be sold for a premium.

That said, you must look at all dealers websites and Porsche to see which dealers have what on hand. If one is the one you want, or close to it, then the dealing starts.

If you spec a car on an order, don't expect to get much off, more so for cabs in some areas.

Just find first what you want. Then, shop all dealers coast to coast for pricing, then you can make offers even if it's far away as dealers will sometimes ship/swap cars in inventory if they can move them at another dealer.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 03-23-2008 | 03:00 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Deanski
Are you looking to purchase from dealer inventory or are you going to "spec" the car on an order?

Dealer inventory nomally moves at a lower price point, unless it's a special order that someone backed-out. Depending on the options of the backed-out car, sometimes they just want to move the car as it may be a hard sell due to the colors, special options etc. Other backed-out orders can command a steep price if they feel it can be sold for a premium.

That said, you must look at all dealers websites and Porsche to see which dealers have what on hand. If one is the one you want, or close to it, then the dealing starts.

If you spec a car on an order, don't expect to get much off, more so for cabs in some areas.

Just find first what you want. Then, shop all dealers coast to coast for pricing, then you can make offers even if it's far away as dealers will sometimes ship/swap cars in inventory if they can move them at another dealer.

Regards,
Deanski
deanski-i agree with most of what you say, but i don't agree with your statement on spec'ing a car. the discount that you get really depends on your relationship with the dealer plus/minus how hungry the dealer is to make money on one of their building slots. other dealers may be looking to expand their business (building a bigger building) so they may be ordering more cars so that they can get more cars when they move into their bigger building. from the dealer point of view, a spec'd car is a cheaper car for them, as they won't have any carrying costs, as you are going to pick up the car when it is delivered. so it all really depends on various factors that determine what you pay-add to that the buyer's patience to wait for a good or fair deal. suffice it to say that there is about a 13% profit margin in a carrera-even if i got 10% off, the dealer still made $2700 on the sale-not a bad profit, which he deserves.
Old 03-23-2008 | 07:01 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by agdamis
it is no secret they are hurting, although in general that is not a very polite and honorable way of doing business.
I think that as long as one conducts themselves respectfully, it is apropriate behaviour. Basically, it is about the law of supply and demand. That's why I don't begrudge dealers for asking over market on GT3s/GT2s/RSs when the demand exceeds supply. To expect a limited production car at MSRP and then to expect to squeeze the dealer on more ordinary models is an exercise in contradiction. The supply/demand rule needs to work both ways.
Old 03-24-2008 | 12:51 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rick in Colorado
I think that as long as one conducts themselves respectfully, it is apropriate behaviour. Basically, it is about the law of supply and demand. That's why I don't begrudge dealers for asking over market on GT3s/GT2s/RSs when the demand exceeds supply. To expect a limited production car at MSRP and then to expect to squeeze the dealer on more ordinary models is an exercise in contradiction. The supply/demand rule needs to work both ways.
you are basically correct. i think, though, that some constraint must be used with the supply and demand thing. i just heard on tv that the price of gasoline is up this week because the ethanol producers wanted to "take more profit". they are not screwing us hard enough? i am an internist and was on call all weekend-i had an old lady who needed my help when her heart failed saturday night-what, if like the ethanol producers, i said "the supply of doctors late saturday night is low, so if you want me to help you, i get 3 times my normal rate, as demand is now high and supply is low-you know we never do that, but the animals who produce ethanol do it all the time, and call it good business. i think your porsche dealer shouldn't take your guts out when he has something that you want but that there is a short supply of-getting list gives them a big profit. remember, me getting 10% off the carrera s on saturday still gave the dealer a $2700 profit-in addition, he will make money on my service, and even though i will make sure that i get a low (around 5%) financing rate, i bet he makes a few bucks there too. i agree though-you can't act like an animal on either side-at the end of the day, both people have to walk home with a piece of the pie.

Quick Reply: Purchasing a New 997