Sponsored by:

Factory option black wheels at the time of resale

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 01:22 AM
JJB236
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory option black wheels at the time of resale

It seems most people did not choose the factory option black wheels on the 997. I believe the extra cost of the black wheels option over the alloy nor the cost of painting them black was not the factor in not getting them since most of the 997 buyers get the higher model S, C4, Turbo. Since the majority prefer the alloy wheels, I am wondering if this would limit the buyer audience when it comes to resale a few years later. Is there a reason why some of the folks got the alloy over black?

I'm selling my 01 996 tip and finding out that the tip is not favored by the majority buyers and taking longer to find buyers. For the same reason, would having the black wheels on the 997 delay the selling time?
Old 03-15-2008, 02:00 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

A Tip in a car like this is an obvious issue since it affects your daily driving/enjoyment of the car. I don't know many people who would want a Tip in a car like this.

Painted wheels, on the other hand, are simply cosmetic and if the car looks good with whatever color wheels you have then it will sell. Consider the RS cars with their crazy wheels.

What color is your car?

Cheers,
Old 03-15-2008, 02:34 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

Wheels on our cars are equivalent to shoes of our wives. We can change the color, size and style of our wheels anytime without a good reason. I feel that the wheels on the cars will not affect the sale at all.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:17 AM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by AllanJ
A Tip in a car like this is an obvious issue since it affects your daily driving/enjoyment of the car. I don't know many people who would want a Tip in a car like this.

Painted wheels, on the other hand, are simply cosmetic and if the car looks good with whatever color wheels you have then it will sell. Consider the RS cars with their crazy wheels.

What color is your car?

Cheers,
Black/black w 28k miles. Super clean. Several dealers offered me $26k - $30k for a trade-in for a 997. I am hoping to sell it at $36k minimum for someone who wants black/black combo which some say are hard to find.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:18 AM
JJB236
Racer

So did you guys go for the alloy?
Old 03-15-2008, 04:15 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JJB236
Using Tim's analogy, I have three pairs of shoes for her.

1) Came with factory silver wheels and I painted those "black chrome" (think gun metal with a sort of polished lip).

2) I have a set of CCW C14 track wheels - silver colored (aluminum alloy with clear anodizing)

3) I have a set of CCW C10 track wheels - anodized black

Different "shoes" for different occasions.

BTW, the car looks evil with the black CCW C10 wheels. I like it!

Do what you want with the wheels. Repainting them is easy so you shouldn't lose any future buyers.

Cheers,
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2008, 11:44 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JJB236
Just FYI - "alloy" refers to the metal composition of the wheels, not the color. Porsche alloy wheels are mostly aluminum, with some magnesium and a few trace elements. Stock wheels are painted silver, except for the newer turbo wheels.

I do believe the black wheels will make the car less desirable. And the tiptronic certainly will.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:08 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Just FYI - "alloy" refers to the metal composition of the wheels, not the color. Porsche alloy wheels are mostly aluminum, with some magnesium and a few trace elements. Stock wheels are painted silver, except for the newer turbo wheels.

I do believe the black wheels will make the car less desirable. And the tiptronic certainly will.
My bad. Silver it is.

As for the tiptronic, I 'm looking for a DD to be mostly driven in the City of L.A. My 996 is a tip, but no complaints from me for the past 6+ years. The thought of all that gear shifting in city traffic... I'll pass.
Cheers

Quick Reply: Factory option black wheels at the time of resale