Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 02:57 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,020 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanski
Here's a good example: http://www.championmotorsport.com/F77/

They use H&R springs.

Or this and look at the description: http://www.championmotorsport.com/pr...nsion/S997.htm

Deanski

Approching 10,000 miles since installed. No issues.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:49 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vizman
Any input appreciated. I'm undecided between both companies, I understand that eibach offers a softer ride and H&R springs are more performance orientated. How much of a difference should I see between the two companies, pros/cons?
Maybe I missed it, but what suspension is on your car already? Is it a 997 with traditional suspension or PASM? If PASM, I wouldn't touch it unless replacing the whole system (Damptronics). Do a search and you'll read plenty on this subject. Some saying "hey, I changed just the springs and so far it's OK" and you'll find others saying "Man, the lowering springs blew out my shocks and now I'm facing $3500 in repair and warranty won't cover it..." PASM was designed as a system and changing just the springs can cause problems. Maybe you'll be OK, maybe not...
Old 03-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I meant as that some people have issues, other do not.

There are several aftermart "dealers" who install the H&R's with no ill effect, but I still believe they modify the PASM rate in some respect with the Porsche diagnostic device that can alter settings in the computer. This is how one firm got around installing coilovers and still retaining PASM system in case the customer wants to switch back. They just dialed it down to "0" as I read in one of the articles. This way, you do not fully disable it and get the warning light, but it's still there only "deactivated" in some way.

My feeling is these firms are installing the H&R AND modify the settings to compensate for the new spring rates. Otherwise, people would be returning with blown dampers.

I agree with Ron, if you really want to get the best result, spend the money on the Bilstein PSS9 Damptronic version. This way you can alter the ride height and have PASM still avalible in a system that was designed for the 997. So far, no reports of blown Damptronics after install and a lower setting of the car. Big money, but money very well spent as these are very adjustable.

Deanski
Old 03-20-2008, 12:43 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

ViperBob at Vortex Motorsports in Tampa has installed some after market shocks/coilover on 997S PASM cars. He uses different brands to acheive different types of use of the car. If I were any of you I would contact him about this mod.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:43 PM
larbaby2th
Advanced

Do you have PASM with the lowering springs, and if so, how does it affect warranty, etc. Thanks, Larry
Old 04-05-2008, 05:13 PM
jjporsch43
Instructor

Been running H&R for over 8K mi. with PASM-no issues. Like the ride.

John J
Croatia/SA Tx
05C2S
07 Skoda VRS
Old 04-07-2008, 10:49 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterS
car tends to pogo when loaded hard in corners.
I've found quite the opposite. Compared to stock suspension with PASM in Sport and H&R springs with PASM in Sport, the latter is more composed through bumpy turns, corners flatter, is more predictable at the limit, and reduces brake dive.

Can't comment on the streetability of the springs - others have more street time than I do - but H&R springs are a terrific option for stiffening up the ride, lowering the car, and allowing for more aggressive alignment.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:08 PM
raffi
Pro

ive had techarts (eibach) with around 30K miles and no issues
Old 04-07-2008, 02:21 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

I had Techart Springs on my PASM 997S and had them removed when the car was apart. I installed Damptronic Bilstien's on my new car. I would not hesitate to doing either one in the future, but definitely think the Bilsteins are worth the money.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:28 PM
raffi
Pro

ed, my brother just got a 997 no pasm. he has been going through this debate coilovers vs just springs. his car is a tip daily driver, wife drives it too. when i got my springs i had no other choice, but now i am trying to figure what is the best option for him. do you think he would notice the added benefits of the pss9 or some other setup?
thanks
Old 04-07-2008, 07:52 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
I've found quite the opposite. Compared to stock suspension with PASM in Sport and H&R springs with PASM in Sport, the latter is more composed through bumpy turns, corners flatter, is more predictable at the limit, and reduces brake dive.

Can't comment on the streetability of the springs - others have more street time than I do - but H&R springs are a terrific option for stiffening up the ride, lowering the car, and allowing for more aggressive alignment.
...and you would know because of the bumpy track we drive on!

I am off the Sebring this weekend....when is your next track day?
Old 04-08-2008, 12:25 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I am off the Sebring this weekend....when is your next track day?
Chin is this weekend, should be a terrific event for you. I'm looking forward to a 3-day Skip Barber racing school in Miatas on 4/18-20. Faster faster faster!
Old 04-10-2008, 09:46 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread is interesting, as there are is no clear winner point of view...isn't that always the case?
I have an '08 CarreraS with PASM Use my car as a daily driver, no track days, but havd been toying with the Champion H&R install, mainly for improved looks, and better cornering for the few roads that exist in S Fl that can handle the cornering Regardless,what are the downsides, if any? My main concerns, however, are a) whether PASM will blow out the shocks, b) whether I will now constantly run over those concrete blocks in the parking lots, and c) whether the ride would be degraded as a DD Love your feedback from those that have the H&R's with PASM Thanks
Old 04-10-2008, 09:58 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Truble10
I appreciate your point of view but respectfully disagree. I have had all of my P-cars lowered using springs only. I have been very happy with H&R spring only kit with the rest on my suspension being stock.

The ride is firm but not rough. You will decrease the body roll. No rubbing or strange noises and the look is how a sports car should look. I see no downside.
Another vote for H&R here. It's funny, when I see stock 911s now they appear to have SUV ride height!
Old 02-14-2017, 11:39 PM
Rico's997
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Here are some facts for anyone looking to get a set of Eibachs.

1) DO NOT BELIEVE the fact that Eibach says that the front and rear will lower the car 1.2 inches. The coils level out the car completely eliminating the rake, (which is important to the stance of the 997). Its too low in the back now.

2) Fact number 2.... this is where common sense kicks in. For the car to be leveled out, that means the rear coils do not equally lower the car. The rear coils obviously lower the car more than what the front coils do. Read that again if you did not understand

3) I am speaking from fact as I just left Mod Auto in SoCal and am furious I wasted money. The car looks absolutely funny. Tomorrow morning they are switching the original coils back. Anyone want to buy some 3 hour old Eibach sports.

Quick Reply: H&R Springs Vs. Eibach Springs