Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

at what point is a dealer willing to "let go"...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tell em at $55.5 if they throw in a 5 year $0 deduct Tire road hazard insurance. Put the kibosh on excessive document & other invented fees.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:54 PM
urbanski
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should go drive/look at it really. get the service history. why spend (or even haggle a "bottom line" price) sight-unseen. it could be beat to hell and not worth 50K.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:36 PM
akim47
Racer

i've seen the car. it's in good condition. former 3 year lease car that was turned back into the dealer in december 2007. i sometimes worry about lease cars, but at least this one is CPO'd...

i hate the junk fee charges. after caculating sales taxes, the actual drive amount has an extra couple of hundred in there... definitely a negotiation point...

jnx: called the other dealer w/ the seal grey for $52,997. I can get the car for $49,999 but would have to re-add $1,900 in order to CPO the vehicle... so that car is $3k cheaper in the end ($52 vs. $55K)... at this point, i'd pay the extra 3K for my color preference and 16,000 less miles (about a year's worth of driving for me)...

aK
Old 03-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by akim47
i've been eyeing this 997 C2 CPO...

Dealer took hold of the car on 1/3/08 and it still has not sold.
How long will a dealer hang onto the car before letting it go at a lower price?

Originally, car listed at $65,998K.... then at $61,998K... then at $59,998K...

i offered $55K and they said no. They said $60K was bottom line price. Then they came back and said they could do $58,995 but that was the LOWEST they could offer me. this is more than i was willing to spend, so i walked.... and then.....

just this morning, it was listed at $56,995. I sense they REALLY want to sell this car. first, why did they let me walk without going down on the price? At some point, doesn't it make sense to go ahead and sell me the car at $55K?

I don't know the car business, so I don't know if being on the lot for 9 weeks is a bad thing... i'm not sure what to do next, but i think im going to let this stew in their own **** for a while... for me, i'm not in a rush. 997 C2 prices have been coming down, and i'm content to wait a little longer....

any thoughts, comments, suggestions? i've read about ppl on this board waiting almost a year for the right car... i'm proceeding with patience...
Well, business is business; however i must say it sounds like poor follow up; why didn't they just pick up the phone and call ya?

But the other side of the coin is that we're about to enter Porsche Season- everywhere. They might have been thinking hold on a little longer.

A buyer today is better then the POSSIBILITY of ZERO tomorrow. IMHO.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:39 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

i've seen the car. it's in good condition. former 3 year lease car that was turned back into the dealer in december 2007. i sometimes worry about lease cars, but at least this one is CPO'd...

i hate the junk fee charges. after caculating sales taxes, the actual drive amount has an extra couple of hundred in there... definitely a negotiation point...

jnx: called the other dealer w/ the seal grey for $52,997. I can get the car for $49,999 but would have to re-add $1,900 in order to CPO the vehicle... so that car is $3k cheaper in the end ($52 vs. $55K)... at this point, i'd pay the extra 3K for my color preference and 16,000 less miles (about a year's worth of driving for me)...

aK
I would act on it soon. I would guess business will hopefully start to pick up and it may be sold by the time you decide. It would be a shame to lose the car you want for $500. Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:45 PM
akim47
Racer

decisions, decisions

ill think more about it after market closes...

another rough day in the market...
Old 03-14-2008, 06:01 PM
tkids
Pro

I am partial to Seal Grey, however I do like low mileage! mmmmmmmmm how is the weather going to be this weekend down there! ;-)

Last edited by tkids; 01-05-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:57 PM
akim47
Racer

wow... that does look nice.... weekend should be nice... it's been great recently... it'd be perfect driving weather... just need the car.

i did just go down to the newport beach pier last weekend (lovin corn dogs and lemonade). although it'd be nice to take a cruise on pch, i noticed there is absolutely no place in that parking lot where i'd trust to park a 997....
Old 03-14-2008, 07:45 PM
tkids
Pro

wow... that does look nice.... weekend should be nice... it's been great recently... it'd be perfect driving weather... just need the car.

i did just go down to the newport beach pier last weekend (lovin corn dogs and lemonade). although it'd be nice to take a cruise on pch, i noticed there is absolutely no place in that parking lot where i'd trust to park a 997....
Believe me, once you start driving it up or down PCH, you will never park it, you will just keep driving and driving.......
Old 03-15-2008, 02:31 AM
Vitamin_J
Rennlist Member

Seems like a lot of back and forth after the dealer lowered its price. If you want the car, buy it. Don't wreck a relationship with a dealer for a few hundred bucks. After all, you will want an ally in the dealership should things not go according to plan post sale. Good luck!
Old 03-15-2008, 06:21 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Doesn't seem like a car you want that bad-all the dickering over $500-I'd pass, figure out what you really want and pursue it.

I've known many people who lost out on a house they loved over a couple thousand dollar squabble with the sellers only to settle for something they didn't like quite as much but was $2000 cheaper. Is it really worth it for the $500 or couple bucks a month?
Old 03-15-2008, 10:22 PM
DK911
Advanced

If that's the one I wanted, and it was in great shape, I don't think I'd let $500 stop me from buying it.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:46 PM
rayng
Rennlist Member

I'd ask myself if that's exactly the car you want. My porsche mechanic (Downtown Porsche in Los Angeles) told me to stay away from the early 05 cars for a variety of engine issues including intermediate shaft breakage. I'm not saying this car is a bad car, but as the other guys have said, stay patient and stick to your guns. 997s are not rare, and this barebones car you are looking at will be hard for you to sell just as it has been hard for the dealer to sell. Imo, black on black on a near no-option car seems a bit austere to me. That's just my 2 cents. Please post lots of pics once you get your ride. Good luck.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:24 AM
akim47
Racer

update: well, unfortunately the car sold. they won't tell me what price it sold for... i don't see what the big deal is... honestly, i was ready to pull the trigger but they weren't getting back to me on my questions... i was just trying to verify when the dealer warranty was extended until... anyhow, i assume a buyer w. less questions came in and offered a higher price... oh well....

anyhow, thanx to those on the board, i don't regret NOT getting the car... i figure that this particular deal wasn't meant to be... maybe it was better since this was a 11/04 2005 MY 997. I guess I'd prefer a later build date... plus, I have to realize there are plenty of black on black cars out there.... i'm dissappointed that i don't have pics of a new car to post, but i guess i'm going to be patient and will just keep searching....

lesson learned is that a) i don't think ill let $500 be the cause of me and my car... b) working with a dealer is NEVER an easy thing.... expect to haggle, go back and forth, etc...
Old 03-17-2008, 03:19 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

lesson learned is that a) i don't think ill let $500 be the cause of me and my car... b) working with a dealer is NEVER an easy thing.... expect to haggle, go back and forth, etc...

Lesson learned? HAHA, now that is funny. You let this car slip away over $500 dollars? All this after the dealer already reduced the price of the car by $10,500 from their original asking price!!! IMHO, you did not want the car to begin with.

I don't mean to be blunt, but I am tired of hearing stories about guys wanting to make a killing when buying a used P-Car. The value of our used P-cars are taking a big enough hit as it is without buyers like you trying to steal the cars.

I for one am happy for the stealership. There are words I never thought I would say.

Good luck in your future search.

Quick Reply: at what point is a dealer willing to "let go"...