Sponsored by:

Confirmation on PDK (sort of)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:41 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Confirmation on PDK (sort of)

Well not sure how many people on here care about the rumor of the Porsche Dual Clutch paddle shift transmission but I have news!

I went to Suncoast Porsche today for a party and to look at the Porsche RS Spyder on display. Suncoast knows how to throw a party and get everyone worked up for the Sebring race and promote Porsche! Great job by Ron at Suncoast! Ryan Brisco, Shasha Massen, and Patrick Long where there too signing and talking with everyone plus a few Porsche North America guys from Atlanta. I got a few tips on driving Sebring in my 997S from Mr. Long too.

I asked all 3 of them if there is anything they could tell me about the new paddle shifter for the 997S. One of the Porsche North American guys from Atlanta say's you mean PDK for the 09 car? I said yes that is what I hear on the internet Porsche might call it. He said yes it's PDK and then Shasha say's you mean we can talk about it? PNA guys says yeah. So Shasha says you will love it, it's very fast and Tiptronic will go away.

So that made my whole day plus I got a 4 day pass, Porsche VIP Hosptality pass, Porsche parking pass for the Sebring race! I am so high on this news of PDK and the VIP package I just can't go to sleep tonight!
Old 03-13-2008, 07:04 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Sounds like a fun day Mike. I iike Suncoast: I've bought all sorts of goodies from their site over the years. Too bad you're not local - I would have loaned you my RS Spyder watch to wear!
Some of the latest rumors I've been tracking suggest the PDK will first come out on the C2/S, then the 4's, and then hopefully the turbo. I think the first cars will be here in Fall....all rumor of course!

Thanks for sharing your fun day!!!!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Sorry to say, paddles take the fun out of driving.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:28 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Putt-Putt
Sorry to say, paddles take the fun out of driving.
I see people say this and wonder if they have ever driven a car with a good version of this gear box, and no the E46 M3 with SMG is not a good version. I mean something along the lines of the F430 where ****ing it so fast and effortless you almost do not even feel it? Those who say it is not for real drivers and such are crazy. If the gated 6 is so great and for "drivers" why do Shumacher and those guys no longer use it? I cannot wait for this. Why make driving any harder? You track junkies will be faster with the quicker box, and the daily crowd who lives in LA, Houston, etc won't be cramping up their left leg. This will be great on many levels if it is done properly and people give it a chance. I know there will be many who dismiss it and want to "keep it real". More power to them, but to say a paddle takes the fun out of driving, or is somehow not the real deal is hogwash.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blk on blk
I see people say this and wonder if they have ever driven a car with a good version of this gear box, and no the E46 M3 with SMG is not a good version. I mean something along the lines of the F430 where ****ing it so fast and effortless you almost do not even feel it? Those who say it is not for real drivers and such are crazy. If the gated 6 is so great and for "drivers" why do Shumacher and those guys no longer use it? I cannot wait for this. Why make driving any harder? You track junkies will be faster with the quicker box, and the daily crowd who lives in LA, Houston, etc won't be cramping up their left leg. This will be great on many levels if it is done properly and people give it a chance. I know there will be many who dismiss it and want to "keep it real". More power to them, but to say a paddle takes the fun out of driving, or is somehow not the real deal is hogwash.
I've driven the SMG in the current M5, the F1 gearbox in the current F430 and the DSG in the Volkswagen...

I don't like any of them.

Why do "drivers" like Schumacher use a paddle gearbox? Because it's faster than a human can shift and faster around a race track.

But I don't drive a Formula 1 car and frankly the bragging rights that a shift can happen in one pico second is just as meaningless to me as talking trap speeds in a drag race.

I like to drive. And a big part of that is executing a good up shift and heel toe downshift. Simple as that. And no floppy paddle box will ever give me that joy.

That's why I continue to dislike the paddle gear boxes.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:59 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Due to physical issues I need a transmission without a clutch and YES I AM a track junkie! The Tiptronic has been awesome but I have found some of it's limits due to slow down shifting. The Tip performs great on the street in manual mode.

I have owned both manual and shift-able automatics and driven the Ferrari F1 gear box and they all take skill to do correctly on the track. I can see why a enthusist would want a manual at the track so they can learn and try to master heel and toe. If you can not heel and toe properly I will pass you in my Tip! :-)
Old 03-13-2008, 05:59 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 6spd C2S and the DSG A3 and it is just plain more satisfying to row your own in the Porsche. The A3 is great in traffic but I hardly ever shift with the paddles or take it out of D.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:47 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by blk on blk
You are not "****ing" us are you? Paddles, launch control.....I don't think so
Old 03-14-2008, 01:47 AM
Vitamin_J
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 599 has paddles and launch control. Can't say I have driven it but Clarkson finds it exciting. I personally can't wait for the PDK. My buddy has the latest version in his C6 Vette and I was amazed at how much better it was than my older Ferrari. Very quick and really helped me control the car better on the MY 07.

If this is really there in 09, I'm upgrading from my Targa.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:04 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you don't think clutchless paddle-shifting won't take the fun out of driving, then you obviously don't enjoy shifting much. I learned how to drive with a manual tranny and I've been driving them ever since, by choice. I tried a paddle shifter once and HATED IT. Yes, it DOES take the fun out of driving, for me.

If you're getting cramps in your left leg then you're not driving correctly.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:06 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911Dave
If you don't think clutchless paddle-shifting won't take the fun out of driving, then you obviously don't enjoy shifting much. I learned how to drive with a manual tranny and I've been driving them ever since, by choice. I tried a paddle shifter once and HATED IT. Yes, it DOES take the fun out of driving, for me.

If you're getting cramps in your left leg then you're not driving correctly.
Dave, I disagree because before when I had a left leg and had a Boxster S 6 speed and a Vette Z51 6 speed I loved those cars but I love driving and learning my current car a 997S Tiptronic on the track just as much. You still have to pick the shift point perfectly in both types of transmissions.

I have to have a Tiptronic or F1 paddle shift style transmission due to no longer having a left leg. With all that said I still would pick a 6 speed over the Tiptronic anyday but when it comes to a true dual clutch F1 type of transmission I don't know but would lean toward the F1 dual clutch deal...they are fun!

Last edited by mdrums; 03-14-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:15 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Dave, I disagree because before when I had a left leg and had a Boxster X 6 speed and a Vette Z51 speed I loved those cars but I love driving and learning my currect car a 997S Tiptronic on the track just as much. You still have to pick the shift point perfectly in both types of transmissions.
Feel free to disagree! I'm sure you're not the only one.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:58 PM
mdrums
Race Director

7 speed semi-automatic squential dual clutch rev matching down shifts.....it coming!
Old 03-16-2008, 08:14 PM
997Heaven
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdrums
7 speed semi-automatic squential dual clutch rev matching down shifts.....it coming!

do you have any more details.. I sold my 993 hoping this would be the year for paddles/PDK .. feel free to PM if you want to avoid the "clutchless" banter
Old 03-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 997Heaven
do you have any more details.. I sold my 993 hoping this would be the year for paddles/PDK .. feel free to PM if you want to avoid the "clutchless" banter
Supposedly it is this Getrag unit: http://www.getrag.de/en/253

Can handle ~530 lb-ft of torque, very impressive. If it is in fact this gearbox I will be getting the facelift. Can you imagine a supercharged 7 speed DCT DFI Carrera S?

Quick Reply: Confirmation on PDK (sort of)