Sponsored by:

Why?? (have the rear spoiler up - rv)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by points
Im not sure but I do it anyway after a hard drive. I figure all that heat rising on my paint without a cool breeze to mitigate the temp cant be good.
I can see the logic in that, although would you do the same on a front-engined car -- raise the front hood for cool down after a spirited drive?
Old 03-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Ucube
I can see the logic in that, although would you do the same on a front-engined car -- raise the front hood for cool down after a spirited drive?
Very good point...Ive never had a car like my Porsche before so I dont know. If I had a rolls or something like that maybe I dont know. Im kind of meticulous when it comes to my Porsche...unlike any other car Ive had except my 356's.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:41 PM
jjporsch43
Instructor

I like to keep mine up-never know when you'll need it and it looks bad...............

John J
Croatia/SA Texas
05C2S
07 Skoda VRS
Old 03-11-2008, 04:44 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by yell03
In case you are not kidding, yes it does.

It automatically comes up at speeds over 50mph or you can manually raise it with the button on the lower left.

Howard
hmm...I always thought it is 75mph
Old 03-11-2008, 05:26 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

We all know that it goes up and down on its own. SO then why did Porsche decide to put a switch to raise it up and lower it? If it serves no purpose to manually have it up, why put a switch on it?
Old 03-11-2008, 05:56 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Could this be a case of priapism?

My Boxster had it once. The thing wouldn't go down. They had to clear the fault at the dealer.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:14 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sharmat
We all know that it goes up and down on its own. SO then why did Porsche decide to put a switch to raise it up and lower it? If it serves no purpose to manually have it up, why put a switch on it?
I use the switch to raise the spoiler when I wash my car in the driveway. It was much easier than when I tried to do it at 70mph.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Titan
7th Gear

The reason being that in most countries the rear spoiler is activated at a speed in excess of the relevant motorway speed limit. By having a manual override it helps void the arguement that you must have been speeding if caught with the spoiler raised. It acts as a disclaimer.

This is the problem with the Lambo Gallardo's rear spoiler which deploys at 80mph and cannot be manually adjusted. This is fine in France for example (as national speed limit on the motorway is 80 mph) but in the UK the cops would know that you had broken the speed limit as the spoiler doesn't LIE!!!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:18 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I dont think the cops here know or care whether your spoiler was up or down when you were speeding. It's based on the radar and laser gun reading and their mood. And it has to hold up in court.
BTW can you put the spolier down when you are over 75???
Old 03-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Titan
7th Gear

I dont think the cops here know or care whether your spoiler was up or down when you were speeding. It's based on the radar and laser gun reading and their mood. And it has to hold up in court.
BTW can you put the spolier down when you are over 75???
No I don't believe you can lower the spoiler over 75mph.

I agree that arguing against a radar or laser gun is academic but these speed activated spoilers just catch you out without an excuse unless you can manually raise them.

The point I was making is amusingly captured in the review of the Lambo accessed via the link.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol...cle3250711.ece

The following exert from an Edmunds review of the Boxster also highlights the problem:

And the driving experience was exquisite. "Aside from the shrill whistle in the test car, there's not much to dislike about driving a Boxster. But lest we miss any, here's something to concern anyone who's afraid of another speeding ticket: At 75 mph, a spoiler automatically pops out of the Boxster's rump, and it doesn't retract until the car drops back under 50 mph. For the enthusiast who uses radar detectors and was born with a slightly lead foot, forget about avoiding attention from the highway patrol; the speed-sensitive spoiler is like mooning the cops. We can hear it now: 'I'm giving you a ticket for operating your spoiler in a 60-mph zone.' The spoiler serves to reduce lift and improve ride stability. We just wish it popped up a little earlier."

If that isn't a good reason for a manual override then I'll default to the simple need to clean a part that of the car the gets dirty when raised.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Maybe related to this:

Old 03-14-2008, 03:04 PM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it broke in the up position.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Le Chef
Why would someone driving in traffic which moves at about 30 mph, in an ambient temperature of approx. 25F, have the rear spoiler up? I've seen this car a couple of times, same location on Lake Shore Drive with the wing up. It's a C2S/C4S and also has a bee sting aerial. Does this guy have erectile inadequacies and a need to compensate? Or am I missing something much more practical?
Because he CAN. duh.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

I 100% believe b/c the American market WANTED IT. It doesn't follow German logic to do so, but us BLING BLANG BLING American's wanted to put our '**** up'.

knowwhatteyemeanverne?
Old 03-14-2008, 04:24 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ahhh, the memories....

I used to use the manual switch to put the wing up at low speeds but ALSO to put it down at high speeds. I did this to remind the car that I'm in charge of the damn machinery.

Quite frankly, I wish that the car had manual "RICH" and "LEAN" pull ***** and a "MANIFOLD TEMP" gauge on the dash... I'd screw with those, too.

Quick Reply: Why?? (have the rear spoiler up - rv)