Sponsored by:

Fabspeed Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 03:48 AM
Vitamin_J
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fabspeed Exhaust

I have read much about the Gundo hack and am a bit concerned with doing this work myself. Has anyone had success with limited know-how?

I really want better sound from my Targa4. Or, can anyone vouch for this setup as an alternative?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/B-B-E...spagenameZWDVW
Old 03-09-2008, 11:00 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Little confused by your post...it is titled Fabspeed Exhaust but the link shows Billy Boat mufflers and you seem to be talking about the stock muffler crossover pipe mod. ????

Keep in mind exhaust and mufflers are 2 different things. Mufflers are just the cans at the end of the piping and changing out your exhaust would mean headers, cats and mufflers.

I changed out my stock mufflers to Fabspeed mufflers for better sound. there are lots of muffler choices out there but these 4 seems to be the most popular, Fabspeed, AWE and PSE (Porsche Sport)
Old 03-09-2008, 12:17 PM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Fabspeed and like the sound. The price is also reasonable when compared to PSE.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Vitamin_J
Rennlist Member

Understood, thanks for making this clear. Anyone try the cross-over hack? I saw a video on YOUTUBE where you can really hear the sound on a base C2.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:33 AM
jplanaux
Instructor

The whole hack thing kind of confuses me. My background is in engineering. Although I know little about exhaust systems and gases, I do mess around with piping systems. From a design viewpoint, there have to be "good" hacks and "less good" hacks. A good hack would be one that allows the exhaust gases to flow freely throughout the system. One of the "hacks" simply joins the inlet side to the outlet side taking the shortest route possible. While this is the most economical way, this causes an abrupt 90 degree (or greater) turn. They have other hacks (the one by gembella and one on ebay) where the designs appear to be better (there are more turns where the flow does not make the abrupt changes of direction).

I will not argue that the sound is better. But the before mentioned confuses me: "you get what you pay for". I was tempted. I want better sound. But this is going on my 80K+ car. Do I really want to mess up my exhaust system for a few $100. Closely look at the designs (pictures) of all available before you decide.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:53 AM
jplanaux
Instructor

I am including some pics so you can visually see the differences between the designs.

One of the designs clearly shows a angle greater than 90 degrees (3rd pic). So any gas going through the bypass is actually pushing against the gases attempting to exit out of the muffler.

If you compare to the the other (Gembella kind of does the same thing). Gembella includes the PSE exhausst bypass and a small direct bypass. The small bypass seems to almost get a 90 degree turn because the pipe is smaller and the joint seems to be much closer to the muffler than the 3rd pic.

There is one which has a much more complex bypass (pic #1); this circumvents the abrupt change by adding the extra pipe and turns, but you can see that there is a much smoother flow). I am not endorsing any of these. I am merely looking at the similarities and differences. The cost is different on all of them. The intersection of the bypass seems to be less than 90 degrees which equates to a lateral flow.

My 2 cents.
Attached Images    
Old 03-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Vitamin_J
Rennlist Member

Thanks for this great post! Very valuable information.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:19 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fabspeed has been great for me: headers,cats, and mufflers. The sound is perfect at the track. With a hot exhaust @ 140 3 feet off the concrete wall along the straight make you hair stand on end. We also have a back straight going through woods and the echos are amazing.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed Exhaust