Sponsored by:

Brake upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 02:38 AM
MyEmily
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake upgrade?

Was going through Suncoast part list and ran across a set of 6 piston brake caliper for the 997. Is it worth the upgrade other that going to PCCB? $2600 direct replacement of the factory 4 pistons version. DO I needed? Do the C4S have 4 or 6 pistons up front? Also, best brake pad for street use? ANy Rec? TIA
Old 02-29-2008, 03:36 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

I'd go aftermarket first
Old 02-29-2008, 06:56 AM
eljeffo64
Racer

Just as a matter of interest; why do you feel the need to upgrade??
Old 02-29-2008, 08:23 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Like he said - are you running out of brakes? If so, it's probably some other problem (boiled fluid, air in the system, etc.) Are you having fade issues? Point of reference, I've been enjoying my 997S on the track very much, especially at Cups & Saucers at Watkins Glen. That event is 7 hours of track time in 2 days (30 minutes on, 30 off). Zero fade. The only issue is front rotors are spider cracked now at 7500 miles and so I'm replacing them once a year ($340 oem rotors delivered + $100 labor).
Old 02-29-2008, 11:57 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can upgrade your brakes all you want but you're not likely to stop any better. You should always remember that it's the tires that stop the car, not the brakes. Tires are what make the car go, tires are what make the car corner, and tires make the car stop. It's all about tires. Specifically, it's all about maximizing the friction between the tire and the road surface. Most of that has to do with the size of the contact patch.

Your stock 997 brakes already are among the best in the world, on any car. They can easily cause your wheels to lock up and tires to skid all day long. The weaker link is your tires. So, that's where you should spend your money. When your brakes can no longer keep up with your tires, that's when to consider a brake upgrade. The one possible exception to this would be PCCB's, which can provide a handling advantage due to reduced unsprung weight.

I think it's always good to approach any consideration of mods from the perspective of maximizing the friction between the contact patch and the road. Why do we like negative camber? Because it improves the contact patch during cornering, and therefore the tire's ability to hold the road at a faster speed than before. You can put a 1,000 bhp motor in your car but you'll be wasting that power if it makes your wheels spin. Similarly, suspension components and setup are all about keeping the most rubber on the road for the maximum amount of time. If you can always think about it like that, it will be easier to know what will help your car's performance and what won't. Tires are almost always the most important component on the entire car.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Brake UPGRADE? I just love the number of new Porsche owners who feel some compelling reason to "upgrade" their cars and uptimately make them worse. You will be hard pressed to improve upon what you already have. Of course, all the aftermarket guys will tell you about how great THEIR systems are...
Old 02-29-2008, 12:24 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah....what they said
Old 02-29-2008, 12:52 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

I have never been into changing or modding Porche. I like OEM. One mod I would consider is wheels to reduce unsprung weight but probably will never do it.

The cars are engineered so well from the factory I think it is very difficult to improve on. If your driving abilities have out grown your current car probably better in the long run to sell it and get another. For instance if you have a base model and are bored with it or have exceeded the car's abilities maybe get an S. If you have an S maybe get a GT3 and so on.

If you just don't like the way the calipers look maybe have them painted. I believe I have read on one of the forums people doing that for around $800., by a professional not in the garage with a spray can.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:06 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by MyEmily
Was going through Suncoast part list and ran across a set of 6 piston brake caliper for the 997. Is it worth the upgrade other that going to PCCB? $2600 direct replacement of the factory 4 pistons version. DO I needed? Do the C4S have 4 or 6 pistons up front? Also, best brake pad for street use? ANy Rec? TIA
Oh a wise guy ehh
Attached Images  
Old 02-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 222 Likes on 111 Posts

why?
Old 02-29-2008, 05:11 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Forgot to answer the street pad question. The OEM street pads really are fantastic - they even held up to hard track use as I was getting used to this car (running 1:05 at Lime Rock in Black - which is already down to 1:02 but with race pads - PFC97).
Old 02-29-2008, 07:42 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this is a street only car... save your money. If you are going to the track with the car and it is your first season spend your money on a good driving coach. Tires and brakes go together.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:31 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Brake UPGRADE? I just love the number of new Porsche owners who feel some compelling reason to "upgrade" their cars and uptimately make them worse. You will be hard pressed to improve upon what you already have. Of course, all the aftermarket guys will tell you about how great THEIR systems are...
+1
Old 02-29-2008, 11:06 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Even if this is a track-only car, brake upgrade is hardly necessary - even in the Black / Red run groups. Race pads? Yes (PFC 97s). $29 better cooling ducts from GT3 - sure, not sure if they help, but cheap. But changing brakes? Never...
Old 02-29-2008, 11:30 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Coming from the BMW world of comparatively sucky brakes, Porsche is reputed to have the best brakes on the planet. Imagine the product liability issues associated with brakes. Just seems to me prudent to stay with the factory product particularly when the bar is set so high already.

Quick Reply: Brake upgrade?