Sponsored by:

How Bad are the Roads in the US - just a comment

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 07:49 PM
doug928
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How Bad are the Roads in the US - just a comment

Just got back from a trek to NJ for the day before the deluge of rain started here in the Northeast and I have to comment that the roads in NY and most of NJ were just pitiful. Question for the rest of the country, are the roads filled with potholes and poor attempts at filling the potholes? The roads seem worse than usuall and I've been driving for over 25 years and haven't noticed them to be this bad in years past. Where are our tax dollars going?
Old 03-07-2008, 07:55 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Drove from SE Mich to Chicago and back last week. The roads the entire way were bad, including in and around Chicago. Worst was (and always seems to have been) in northern Indiana.

I was talking with some union reps today and they are pretty sure its a combination of bad design (we know the conditions but design as if frost heaves don't happen, and there are roads that have lasted where better designs have been used), and low funding for both construction and maintenance. Of course the actual construction work has been beyond reproach.

When I drive around the country I see the same thing, even in warm climates. I think it is really a combination of under-design, poor construction and materials, and inadequate maintenance. A real trifecta!
Old 03-07-2008, 07:59 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Here is San Francisco Bay Area, many roads are getting poor and lacked of maintenance too. Even when they repair the roads they just patch it, and sometimes make it worse (left & right tires on different patches in the same lane). In the cities, they sometimes just putting some steel plates on the roads to cover the bad sections instead of repairing it.

I found that instead of enjoying my car on the road, I was busy dodging the potholes instead.

With best regards,
Old 03-07-2008, 08:09 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
I found that instead of enjoying my car on the road, I was busy dodging the potholes instead.
Esp with low profiles and without a spare. I tell my wife watch the signs so I can watch the roadway 100' or so in front like a hawk for rim eaters. Awful.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:15 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This time of year potholes can be a problem, but overall, the roads in the US are very good. I have driven more miles than most people and driven all the major roads in the US and Canada and many of the secondary roads. At this time of year, the northern roads are at their worse. In more than 3 million miles of driving, I have yet to have a tire blowout on any car or truck. (knocking on wood).

Obviously, the worse of the roads are the city's since in most cases, monies go to pave the pockets of the politicians rather than the streets.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:03 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you thought NY/NJ is bad, go drive around Connecticut. I grew up there.

I've traveled all 50 states and lived in 8 of them. NOWHERE are roads so atrocious as in rural New England.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:40 PM
doctorpcar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree NY/CT/NJ roads are garbage. I almost went 18" but said forget it. On my way home with the car today I drove quite slowly over known road problems, hoping it didn't hurt the rims.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:51 PM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by doctorpcar
I agree NY/CT/NJ roads are garbage. I almost went 18" but said forget it. On my way home with the car today I drove quite slowly over known road problems, hoping it didn't hurt the rims.
I went from 19s to 18s specifically due to road/ride quality.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:25 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 129 Posts

They're so bad it's tempting to move back to Europe!
Old 03-08-2008, 01:27 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Everything is good here in southern Nevada.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:31 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If the Democrats get elected they will find a way to place an excise tax on 19" wheels and tires to improve the roads for everybody else.

I have replaced both a Honda wheel and a Volvo wheel from pothole damage in the last 12 months. I dread the idea of replacing a Porsche 19. But I dread the excise tax more.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:13 AM
Titan
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Edgy01
They're so bad it's tempting to move back to Europe!
If you do let me remind you of the following. In the UK -

Petrol is now £1.15p per litre (over 3 dollars)

Road tax is now £300

Its going to cost £25 in congestion charge just to drive into London (whether you drive 1mile or 10miles)

We have the highest density of speed cameras in Europe.

And compared to the US prices the cost of my 997 Carrera S 07 would have bought me a 997 Turbo. Base price was just under £70k and with options it was £80k.

Based on the above you could be excused for thinking I could drive to work on roads as smooth as glass but you'd be wrong they are no better than you guys if not worse. I remember driving through France once. Their roads are so well surfaced that it felt like I was driving a new car.

I love my country but it sure don't love my Porsche!!!

If you still want to move then let me know and we could discuss a house swap
Old 03-08-2008, 08:14 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Its the typical Democrat/Union mentality. Build the roads so they fail prematurely and need constant maintenance. Its even worse right now in Jersey because they have spent us into the poor house and they are putting off repairs so the governor can make his case for his 800%(not a typo) toll increase.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:20 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Well... at least the huge amount of $$$ going into the Aviation Trust Fund hasn't been spent on the general revenue/welfare expenses!!! All that $$$ has gone into improvements for aviation infrastructure!!! You can certainly tell every time you fly!!!!!
Old 03-08-2008, 10:49 AM
doctorpcar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Titan
If you do let me remind you of the following. In the UK -

Petrol is now £1.15p per litre (over 3 dollars)

Road tax is now £300

Its going to cost £25 in congestion charge just to drive into London (whether you drive 1mile or 10miles)

We have the highest density of speed cameras in Europe.

And compared to the US prices the cost of my 997 Carrera S 07 would have bought me a 997 Turbo. Base price was just under £70k and with options it was £80k.

Based on the above you could be excused for thinking I could drive to work on roads as smooth as glass but you'd be wrong they are no better than you guys if not worse. I remember driving through France once. Their roads are so well surfaced that it felt like I was driving a new car.

I love my country but it sure don't love my Porsche!!!

If you still want to move then let me know and we could discuss a house swap
Uhm I think when he says Europe he's not talking about the UK

Quick Reply: How Bad are the Roads in the US - just a comment