Sponsored by:

How Bad are the Roads in the US - just a comment

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
There are two issues at play: one is the US governmental approach to road building related to the size of the country, and the other is the current economic conditions.

US Approach - the US has way more miles of paved roads than Europe due to its size and population density. That naturally generates a different tendency in paying for highway construction and maintenance. Combine that with the US political cycle and representatives constantly trying to be re-elected, means it is very hard politically to sell to the short-sighted public at large, the benefit of spending 5x as much to build the same miles of highway even though it will last 8x as long and require 75% of the maintenance (numbers made up but you get the point). The roads in Europe have a much deeper base, much thicker pavement and thus are much more stable. Also the maintenance work is much more proactive. The governments there spend much more tax money on the roads, and they collect more tax money for roads via registration and licensing fees, fuel taxes, etc.

Economic Conditions - in the current economic state of reduced tax revenue, governments at all levels have to make due with less. But government spending in the country is like a gas.. it expands to fill the container, or available revenue, because for a long time the year to year revenue was good or increasing. Then government does stupid things like dedicating a lot of the tax revenue to programs that are not core government functions (but worthwhile for a society).. however when there is a shortfall of funds, they don't cut those programs. Government tries to keep people employed (voters) and reduce spending on other things more removed from voters such as infrastructure spending.
You have made some very good points. I would like to add that much of Europe's weather comes from ocean air which is milder than the continental air we have in the middle or eastern parts of the US. Roads in the south and on the west coast tend to be in better shape without the severe freeze/thaw cycles. In addition, Europeans have a greater appreciation for good infrastructures including roads, railways, electricity, etc. This all contributes to a higher quality of life. I lived in Germany for 3.5 years. There was once a power failure in an area that lasted for about 10 seconds. It made national news. Can you imagine that level of reliability here? They pay higher taxes but their countries are not falling apart like the US.

By the way there are some good secondary roads to drive your car on in NJ. One of my favorites is 523.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:49 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Holli82
Everything is good here in southern Nevada.
Even with the freeze and thaw cycle up here in northern Nevada the road surfaces are very good, too.

Nothing like the rural western US for horizon to horizon of clear open road.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:52 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sbpsu354
I spent a summer in Dearborn, MI working for Ford, and the roads around Detroit no longer qualify as roads. They're just a loose association of asphalt chunks.
MI has some of the worst roads out there. I am glad I no longer live, thought GA is not much better.

In MI the bridges were literally falling apart from underneath. Huge chunks of cement would fall onto the roads beneath. How did they fix it? Put plywood up so the cement wouldn't fall to the ground.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
You have made some very good points. I would like to add that much of Europe's weather comes from ocean air which is milder than the continental air we have in the middle or eastern parts of the US. Roads in the south and on the west coast tend to be in better shape without the severe freeze/thaw cycles. In addition, Europeans have a greater appreciation for good infrastructures including roads, railways, electricity, etc. This all contributes to a higher quality of life. I lived in Germany for 3.5 years. There was once a power failure in an area that lasted for about 10 seconds. It made national news. Can you imagine that level of reliability here? They pay higher taxes but their countries are not falling apart like the US.

By the way there are some good secondary roads to drive your car on in NJ. One of my favorites is 523.
I agree completely. The environmental conditions are different. The geologic conditions are different as well. But it is technically doable, to have good roads that last; its a political choice not to build them.

For those that are interested, I think it was a "Modern Marvels" episode on "The Autobahn" that went into detail about why the Autobahn is such a different road network to, say the US Interstate Highway System (which is undoubtedly based on the Autobahn that Eisenhower experienced while in Germany). The differences in design philosophy influence not only the quality of the road surface, but also the effects on the drivers and their ability to remain focused and alert, vs being lulled to sleep.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0900003/
Old 07-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Bullit
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just so no one feels left out, the roads in Dallas absolutely s**k. Absolutely pathetic. Also miss plain old asphalt. This concrete they now pour in 20' sections is horrendous. Have to constantly watch for huge chunks that have broken apart. Not to mention the mind-numbing bumps every 20' where the seams for each section are uneven. Other than all, it's all good...
Old 07-07-2012, 12:10 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The roads in the US are bad because:
A) They are built cheaply (American attitude, cheaper is better).
B) They aren't maintained.

I've lived in four countries and driven in ~20. US roads can be compared to places like Malaysia.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:13 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Its the typical Democrat/Union mentality. Build the roads so they fail prematurely and need constant maintenance. Its even worse right now in Jersey because they have spent us into the poor house and they are putting off repairs so the governor can make his case for his 800%(not a typo) toll increase.
They spent you into the poor house? Doesn't look like it.

However there is no free lunch, either you pay for it or stop complaining.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:36 AM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

California roads and highways are very poorly maintained
Old 07-07-2012, 01:55 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
Here is San Francisco Bay Area, many roads are getting poor and lacked of maintenance too. Even when they repair the roads they just patch it, and sometimes make it worse (left & right tires on different patches in the same lane). In the cities, they sometimes just putting some steel plates on the roads to cover the bad sections instead of repairing it.

I found that instead of enjoying my car on the road, I was busy dodging the potholes instead.

With best regards,
Agreed! SF roads totally blow, you'd think they get tons of snow or something, of course with the state being broke doesn't help.

Quick Reply: How Bad are the Roads in the US - just a comment