Sponsored by:

Road Trip Advice: Watkins Glen and Chicago

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:37 PM
entdoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Trip Advice: Watkins Glen and Chicago

I need help planning a couple of road trips for this summer.

1. I'm planning on going to the Grand Am Rolex race at Watkins Glen in June. Can anyone recommend a good hotel nearby?

2. I'm going to drive to Chicago but I don't like leaving my car at the hotel (fears of valet abuse, dings, vandalism, etc.). Does anyone know of a good short term storage facility (I don't mind taking a taxi to the hotel and leaving my car parked securely for the duration of the visit)? I've always left my car with a similar facility (Sports and Classics of NY) when I visit Manhattan. My google search turned up a company called 'Top Store' on North Hoyne - any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are parking garages down town that are secure, and likely a walk from your hotel, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. If you don't feel comfortable doing that then pm me and we can arrange for you to park in my building. "Top Store" is a storage facility for winter wheels and hard tops, not for cars themselves.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:18 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

To get the whole Glen experience you should try the Seneca Lodge. If not the Falls
is decent.Or go online and find one of the smaller motels or B&B's.

Good Luck
Old 03-03-2008, 02:41 PM
entdoc
Instructor

Thanks for the answers.

In Chicago, I was planning on staying at the Omni in the middle of the magnificent mile (676 North Michigan). Do you know of a particular garage nearby? I'm as concerned with the type of parking spaces and amount of traffic going in and out as I am with security, in general. I'm a bit nuts about door dings. That's why I was thinking about a car storage facility more than simply a parking garage. For example, the one in New York details my car while it's there. Thanks again.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:53 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Warning on hotels near Watkins Glen... For example, I stay at Seneca in one of the "new" motel rooms. Those that are "late" to sign up can end up in a cabin (dirt floor, oil lamps, etc. - almost kidding). Steak and mushrooms at Seneca is the best - and the bar is very cool. If staying there with my family, I book Glenora - winery / first class inn overlooking Seneca Lake. Do a search on "Watkins Glen Lodging" or something like that and you'll find many threads.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:25 PM
entdoc
Instructor

Sorry to bring this up again.

Does anyone have experience with the Imperial Parking (Impark) underground lot at 777 North Michigan? Is it secure enough to leave the Porsche for a few days and are there a number of decent spots (parallel or between pillars) so that other cars aren't constantly pulling in and out beside me?

Thanks - any advice is appreciated.

By the way, I couldn't get a single hotel at Watkin's Glen that weekend (for the Grand Am Rolex race). They were either fully booked or required a multiple night stay. I stayed in Rochester instead.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:08 PM
kennygoodboy
Instructor

Not that one in particular but i've left my car at the 900 n michigan lot with no issues. Just go high up and there will open spots on the corners of each floor where there is no other parking spots next to you. It's the Bloomingdales building so there are many similar cars in the lot. Hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:44 PM
crg1717
Advanced

One Financial Place was just converted from private to public parking . Plenty of spaces plus cheaper on weekends .440 s Lasalle . will post phone number tomorrow . I park mine there and never had problem . Park on lowest level for least traffic . crg
Old 09-01-2008, 08:21 PM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

One Financial Place is a bit of a hike. The earlier Bloomingdale's lot or the Northwestern Hospital lot are much closer and are both big so just drive up to the top and find a corner spot. (Both places are frequented by folks with nice cars so your Porsche won't stand out too much.)

Quick Reply: Road Trip Advice: Watkins Glen and Chicago