Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When buying long distance, any things one should know?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 03:42 AM
akim47
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im not that old, but ive learned in life, that if you REALLY want something, u can get it done... u've worked hard to get the car, now go get it and enjoy the ride home... end of story....
Old 03-02-2008, 09:18 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorpcar
Thank you. Do you recall roughly what the cost was? They both seem to have very good credentials. I wonder what they'd charge for a 125 mile trip.

To the folks who keep saying go pick it up, please understand that I can *not* do that. due to my schedule, end of story
If there's absolutely no way you can pick it up, I'd get a reliable, knowledgeable friend to go do it for you. Someone you can trust to inspect the car closely at the dealership. If there are issues he can always take some webphone pics for you to look at.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by sandwedge
what-if thread about trucking companies because you refuse to take an afternoon off to pick up your $100K car a lousy 2 hour drive away.......?
+1 I was thinking the same thing. As I write this, you have three active threads going, here and on 6speed, on this same subject. My suggestion is to divert some of your posting time to driving time. I would guess that you have countless hours invested in researching how to avoid spending half a day picking up your car.

Virtually everyone on this forum is rolling their eyes at the "I can't possibly, under no circumstances, break away to make a 250 mile round trip". Your only regret should be that the maiden voyage is "only" 125 miles.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:10 PM
rons2112
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick in Colorado
Virtually everyone on this forum is rolling their eyes at the "I can't possibly, under no circumstances, break away to make a 250 mile round trip". Your only regret should be that the maiden voyage is "only" 125 miles.
+1
Old 03-02-2008, 12:16 PM
doctorpcar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rick in Colorado
+1 I was thinking the same thing. As I write this, you have three active threads going, here and on 6speed, on this same subject. My suggestion is to divert some of your posting time to driving time. I would guess that you have countless hours invested in researching how to avoid spending half a day picking up your car.

You guys convinced me. I will go pick it up and move some things around to make it possible. Thanks for the "tough love"

I won't post again until I have the car in hand with photos

See you in about a week, as the car is still on the boat.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:23 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by akim47
im not that old, but ive learned in life, that if you REALLY want something, u can get it done... u've worked hard to get the car, now go get it and enjoy the ride home... end of story....

I am old, and you are correct.

Last edited by jnx; 03-04-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:12 PM
rol607
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Well stated.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:36 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorpcar
You guys convinced me. I will go pick it up and move some things around to make it possible. Thanks for the "tough love"

I won't post again until I have the car in hand with photos

See you in about a week, as the car is still on the boat.
Smart move. I picked my car up about 300 or 400 miles away. It was fun, a good initial break in and I am the only person I know as fussy as myself.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:35 AM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
if it's only 125 miles, you should go there and pick up the car in person.
+1
Old 03-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Check with your local PCA chapter. They have experienced "techs" who can inspect the car fully for body or mechanical issues. There is usually a fee that the person may charge, but you'll get someone who can verify things that a dealer may overlook.

They can also assist you on transport of the car if you cannot pick it up yourself.

Deanski
Old 03-05-2008, 10:41 AM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After thinking about it, I thought that I would add a story. As others have said, the best way to go about it is to make the trip a little vacation. This past summer I flew with my father to pick up a pristine Jag XK8 in Rhode Island (he has a thing for XK8's since they remind him of his E-type from his younger days). Anyway, we drove it back to Tennessee (1200 miles), top down all the way. I will cherish the memory for the rest of my life for both the incredible journey and the time spent with my father.

Quick Reply: When buying long distance, any things one should know?