Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 997 S or pre-owned 997 C4S? Rear bumper slits gone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 01:04 PM
JJB236
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 997 S or pre-owned 997 C4S? Rear bumper slits gone?

I just test drove a brand new 2008 997 S at the Bev Hills Porsche. Man, 997s are indeed much nicer than the 996. Driving back home, I wanted to get the C4S, thinking that 997 C4S have the slits on the bottom rear bumper like the 996 C4S, but get this... I just saw that the 997 C4S no longer have them.

Aside from being a 4 wheel drive and wider hips, those cool slits were the reason I wanted to get the 997 C4S.

Could there be more problems with C4S, being a 4 wheel drive meaning more gadgetry was put in the car which may be prone to more problems down the road?
Old 03-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

The slits as well as the rear reflector did not carry over to the 997 C4S. The slits are still on the 997 TT.
As far as the 'more to break' hypothesis for the AWD, there do not seem to be many (if any) reports on the forums about problems related to this.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:06 AM
akim47
Racer

any special reason for wanting awd? being in socal as well, i'd be perfectly happy with a c2s... but also being in so cal c2s's are a dime a dozen...
Old 03-02-2008, 08:36 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by akim47
any special reason for wanting awd? being in socal as well, i'd be perfectly happy with a c2s... but also being in so cal c2s's are a dime a dozen...
It's not so much the AWD... It's the sexy wider hips that is so alluring
Cheers.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:32 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The slits were started on the turbo. The reason for them is to pull more air into the air intakes on the side of the turbo. The slits on the C4S were just for show and not carried over into the 997.

I'm sure you could add an aftermarket bumper with slits.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:45 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by seattle_sun
The slits were started on the turbo. The reason for them is to pull more air into the air intakes on the side of the turbo. The slits on the C4S were just for show and not carried over into the 997.

I'm sure you could add an aftermarket bumper with slits.
Aftermarket bumper with slits would solve the problem. But I don't know if the cost could be justified.

Been researching and found that pre-owned 997 C4S is definitely rare.

At this point, I have two options: Sell my 996 for a new 997 C2S. Or keep the 01 996 black/black 27,500 miles and get a 3rd car that is more comfortablle and practical. Test drove the BMW M6, 750, Range Rover yesterday. There was no excitement in the Range Rover, and Forbes voted all Land Rover models in their "most unreliable luxury cars." Don't got the time to go to dealers for repairs. Besides, I saw a guy in his 30's going to work in the morning in a suit in his Range Rover, and I thought it didn't look right... A t-shirt and jeans or something casual is the right attire for the Rover. On the other hand, 750 may be too much for a single guy, but being 6'2" I fit in it comfortably, and anyone with a suit would look good in it going to a business meetings than in a Range Rover. Also, surprisingly, the driving excitement factor in the 750 was much better than the Rover. No one I know recommended 750, though. M6 may be an overkill, if I keep the 996.

Tough choice.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

It would be interesting to see the distribution in models purchased since the 997 came out. Many first time Porsche drivers elect to buy the Carrera 4/S because they feel more confident with the all wheel drive (fearing all the past tales about losing your tail).... Controllability is so incredible today on the 997 that the AWD issues is a non-issue. But it for the look if you like, but also know that you will lose some front trunk space and your tire mileage will be unlike the Carrera 2. (Roughly, the 2WD tire mileage runs two for one (rear to front replacement). I'm always amazed at the number of 4WD Carreras in SoCal. The 2s are such fun as they are!
Old 03-04-2008, 07:56 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been a P-car fanatic for a long time and I just don't get the "wider hips" thing... The 997 (base, S, and GT3) are all wonderfully proportioned cars. There's no "function" to the wider hips, just more wind resistance and sheetmetal. As to AWD, do a search here and you'll find too many opinions, but I'd say in general most of us agree - unless you are driving in the snow, there's no reason for it whatsoever. Heavier, more complex, more expensive, less storage in the trunk, etc. Must be one of those "grass is always greener" things - the narrow body is a brilliant design on its own...
Old 03-04-2008, 08:33 AM
eljeffo64
Racer

Originally Posted by RonCT
I've been a P-car fanatic for a long time and I just don't get the "wider hips" thing... The 997 (base, S, and GT3) are all wonderfully proportioned cars. There's no "function" to the wider hips, just more wind resistance and sheetmetal. As to AWD, do a search here and you'll find too many opinions, but I'd say in general most of us agree - unless you are driving in the snow, there's no reason for it whatsoever. Heavier, more complex, more expensive, less storage in the trunk, etc. Must be one of those "grass is always greener" things - the narrow body is a brilliant design on its own...
+1

Standing alone you'd never know the hips were wider, side by side with a 2 it's possible but not dramatically so. They are both beautiful but the equation between extra weight/complexity versus benefits of AWD in regular use doesnt add up to anything for me (except for the snow thing). Just buy one, any one will do!!
Old 03-04-2008, 10:03 PM
JJB236
Racer

Thanks guys. I think I would go with C2S. Small trunk space and more-to-break theory did it for me. I'm CA, and I wouldn't take the car near the snow. Cheers.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Moderato
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was the decision by Porsche to make a wider body for the C4, TT & GT3RS a good one? What's the reason for it? Marketing? To make those models more alluring or seem "better?" Why not offer the wide body in some kind of a package for C2 buyers so everyone could be happy?
Old 03-07-2008, 06:04 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Moderato
Was the decision by Porsche to make a wider body for the C4, TT & GT3RS a good one? What's the reason for it? Marketing? To make those models more alluring or seem "better?" Why not offer the wide body in some kind of a package for C2 buyers so everyone could be happy?
Marketing has been responsible for so many decisions enthusiasts disagree with... Just look at the whole 19" wheel debacle (engineering said 18, experts / motorist press said 18, enthusiasts / track junkies / racers said 18, but marketing said 19 - you'd think they would have made 18 standard and given the 19 option...). The very reason you posted this proves marketing made another financial "home run" - they somehow convinced enough people that wider is somehow better. As to making it an option to make everyone happy - I'm perfectly happy with the way the C2S is...
Old 03-07-2008, 08:09 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the resale on the C4S better, at least in the snow-belt?

Quick Reply: New 997 S or pre-owned 997 C4S? Rear bumper slits gone?