Sponsored by:

Seat mounted thorax airbag question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 04:01 PM
EX1K
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat mounted thorax airbag question

2nd try with this post. I started in the General area but had no response.

When did Porsche add the thorax seat bag? I'm shopping for a late model used Porsche for DE events. Until recently I was operating under the mistaken assumption that all late model Porsches put the side airbags in the doors. So I thought seat swaps were easy to do which is important for me as I need a Euro GT3 seat or other aftermarket seat to fit with a helmet on. ie do all 997s have seat mounted airbags? All Caymans? When did the Boxster get them or did they always have an airbag in the seat? Am I correct that the 996/GT3 has the side airbags in the door and not the seat?

Right now it seems like 996GT3 is my only option unless the new GT2 seat gets me the headroom I need in a new CS or 997S. I'm not keen on removing a safety item that has been designed into a car.

Thanks for the help! After a year of learning from this awesome site I'm getting tired of the research. Its is time for a car, the snow to melt, and the fun to begin!

Chris
Old 02-24-2008, 04:34 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how far back they go, but they're on my 07 997S and my wife's 06 CaymanS

She plans to swap seats in spring for something more DE appropriate, then back to the factory seats in fall (heated seats for winter). That means giving up the thorax bags during the summer months, unless she gets the new GT2 seats (which is unlikely due to cost).

I don't plan to use my car for DE events enough to change seats. I'll just slide around.

Perhaps some others will post about earlier model years, or maybe someone knows when these became standard. As a last resort you can browse through the pics of cars on eBay to see which model years they appear and don't.

p-cardriver
Old 02-24-2008, 05:57 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thorax airbags became standard with the introduction of the 997 in 2005 and are now standard throughout the model line in the US.
The 996 did not have a Thorax Airbag in the seats.

The "new" Sport Bucket Seats (shell seats, $3485) have an integrated Thorax Airbag, Non heating, only for & aft adjustment.

Hope this helps
Old 02-24-2008, 07:29 PM
EX1K
Intermediate

Default Another good day

Every day I learn something is a good one. Thanks for the education!

Chris
Old 02-27-2008, 12:24 AM
flankenspeil
Advanced

the airbag control unit can be coded to not recognize the thorax airbag if you were to install a different(sport) seat

Quick Reply: Seat mounted thorax airbag question