Sponsored by:

Speed cameras

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
There are a number of scenarios where shutting off the engine would be catastrophic. Simply recording the speeding event is all that's required.
Well, no. In a pursuit case the police must stop the car and currently employ spikes, shooting, ramming, or waiting until the driver crashes.

I have seen prototypes of small remotely driven wheeled vehicles that drive under the car of the culprit and fire off an EMP (Electro-Magnetic Pulse) to destroy the on-board engine management unit, which shuts the car down.

My point is, if the technology exists (and it does) and is widely implemented in vehicles (and it will be), police may decide that it is simpler to "pull your plug" if they feel there is even the remotest chance you will flee. It could be standard operating procedure and allows police to shut down multiple vehicles at a time or shut down a vehicle that runs through a toll booth, etc.

This type of thinking is already employed now. Consider the parking boot. That is the police department saying that they don't trust you to pay the parking ticket, so they will on-site impound your car.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:25 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
Well, no. In a pursuit case the police must stop the car and currently employ spikes, shooting, ramming, or waiting until the driver crashes.

I have seen prototypes of small remotely driven wheeled vehicles that drive under the car of the culprit and fire off an EMP (Electro-Magnetic Pulse) to destroy the on-board engine management unit, which shuts the car down.

My point is, if the technology exists (and it does) and is widely implemented in vehicles (and it will be), police may decide that it is simpler to "pull your plug" if they feel there is even the remotest chance you will flee. It could be standard operating procedure and allows police to shut down multiple vehicles at a time or shut down a vehicle that runs through a toll booth, etc.

This type of thinking is already employed now. Consider the parking boot. That is the police department saying that they don't trust you to pay the parking ticket, so they will on-site impound your car.
Marv - My response was for routine traffic law enforcement. Pursuits are another matter, and a different set of rules apply.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Speed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Meister Fahrer
That's the President, Peter Sellers played 3 roles in Dr. Strangelove, iirc?
No. Actually, that's the Dr. Strangelove character based on Henry Kissinger.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:23 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
aka "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb."
An absolute Kubrick classic.
And a real horrorshow, right right. Great bolshy yarblockos!
Old 02-20-2008, 09:11 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

For those who may be interested, I wrote K40 an E-mail about the speed camera debate and they said that "speed cameras must operate on an F.C.C. aloted Radar frequency that the K40 already detects".
(K40 Technical Service). So for what it may be worth drive carefully and keep an eye out for this new technology.

Jay
Old 02-20-2008, 09:22 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Big brother is watching....I think cameras can follow me from the time I leave work to just before I get home. Who is to blame? Well, who voted these politicians into office? Becarful next time you want to take a leak at the side of the road.
abe
Old 02-20-2008, 09:25 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 796 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Since I believe in what you are posting, my comments are purely in the devil's advocate vein. Here's the contrary position. Driving is a privilege and not a right. In order to be granted this privilege we agree to abide by all of the laws enacted by our respective local governments, no matter how inane they may be. Technology is improving at warp speeds. Why not utilize this technology to enforce traffic laws?

Imagine the number of police who are dedicated to traffic law enforcement. With the proposed technology, at least 90% of these officers could be reassigned to real law enforcement.
The laws you say? Its a democracy, we are the laws. You and me and everyone else here. If we elect people who will enact an 80MPH speed limit - that's the new law.

what crime? sure, urban areas have plenty of other legitimate assignments. But outside the metro areas, traffic enforcement is job #1 for most forces.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:36 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

This is just another in a long line of assaults on our freedoms. Americans have given up, willingly in some cases, their rights for "convenience" or to stave off the "terror" bogeyman...usually if you follow the $$, you'll see the true reason - in this case, as others have noted in this thread, it's for government revenues tied to corporate greed.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:34 AM
CButler
Instructor

911Dave -- Back to my earlier post....who is that on your avatar? Been driving me crazy for months trying to figure it out.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:49 AM
bdmason
Instructor

Ummm speaking of red lights I noticed that the hook on my rear light lense is broken and the light is hanging there . #1 Anyone know of temporary fix for that problem #2 I noticed the red light on one of the pcars in this forum. Anyone know the price of that particular lense. I can't seem to find it unless I order it from the dealer.
Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2008, 10:19 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CButler
911Dave -- Back to my earlier post....who is that on your avatar? Been driving me crazy for months trying to figure it out.
That's Peter Sellers in the character of Dr. Strangelove.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:38 AM
CButler
Instructor

Ah, never had the pleasure of seeing the flick, although I've heard about it all my life. I'm probably the only one on this board who DIDN'T know the character. Thanks for explaining.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:26 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bight fight in New Mexico on whether to have red light camera's. These things are big cash cows for the cities. Now state and local governments are arguing over who gets what. The Mayor and Governor are calling each other liars. After a brief shutdown of Albuquerque's red light camera system the mayor claimed that there was a big increse in running red lights,

"OK, all the cameras are off, we can all go out and run red lights now." Somehow I don't buy that.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:27 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 796 Likes on 444 Posts

extending the length of the yellows, and the length of the red/red in both directions of traffic - is all that is needed to make intersections safer. But there is no money to be made off that.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:09 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
extending the length of the yellows, and the length of the red/red in both directions of traffic - is all that is needed to make intersections safer. But there is no money to be made off that.

There's no question as to the logic of your post and I certainly agree that red light cameras are used as a revenue generator, but at least in many of the cities that I travel, running red lights is routine. I don't see it much in the outlying suburbs. Maybe it's because people in the city are in more of a hurry than those in the suburbs.

Maybe the best solution is to use red light cameras and have a longer yellow. Then drivers wouldn't feel compelled to slam on their brakes when the light turns yellow.

Quick Reply: Speed cameras