Sponsored by:

Couple of Qs

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:14 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Couple of Qs

Just turned 3000 miles (and now 3200 miles) in my 997S - still a week shy of three months old. I had the oil and filter changed at 1900 miles, and the mileage is averaging 21.3 mpg since. Obviously I drive a lot of interstate.

Two questions I could use some input or advice on:

1. I think the wipers suck. Maybe its just all the salt water they've been cutting through, but I'm getting a lot of streaking and the pass side is particularly poor. Squirters are aimed properly (and frequently used!). Are there better blades/refills available - any recommendations from you other daily/winter drivers?

2. The car sometimes feels a bit light and squirrely in the front end. This could be due to both road conditions (grooving, etc in pavement) and winter tires (Pilot Alpin). But it got me thinking about different front ends. Question is, would I feel a difference with a different nose on the car, or just have cool looks? Speeds range from 75 to 85 cruising and top 90 on occasion.

TIA
p-cardriver
Old 02-16-2008, 09:48 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
Just turned 3000 miles (and now 3200 miles) in my 997S - still a week shy of three months old. I had the oil and filter changed at 1900 miles, and the mileage is averaging 21.3 mpg since. Obviously I drive a lot of interstate.

Two questions I could use some input or advice on:

1. I think the wipers suck. Maybe its just all the salt water they've been cutting through, but I'm getting a lot of streaking and the pass side is particularly poor. Squirters are aimed properly (and frequently used!). Are there better blades/refills available - any recommendations from you other daily/winter drivers?

2. The car sometimes feels a bit light and squirrely in the front end. This could be due to both road conditions (grooving, etc in pavement) and winter tires (Pilot Alpin). But it got me thinking about different front ends. Question is, would I feel a difference with a different nose on the car, or just have cool looks? Speeds range from 75 to 85 cruising and top 90 on occasion.

TIA
p-cardriver

As for the wipers, make sure there is no wax build-up from any automatic car washes on the glass. This will cause streaks and skipping of the blade. Wiper replacement I'd go with a silicone blase such as a PIAA type.

Light/squirrely in the nose could be related to the road surface. Check how it feels on a known good smooth area of roadway and see how it feels then. If it still feels "squirrely", I'd suspect the tires are the issue. Some that have deep treads will walk a bit meaning the treads are too deep and they wiggle until worn down or take a set. And if it's cold, it takes longer for the tire to get warm enough to prevent this wiggle of the treads. Once they do wear down just a little, it stops that feeling. Same thing happenes with some new summer tires when you first drive off until they set in.

Keep us posted.

Deanski
Old 02-16-2008, 10:33 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Deanski - how do you get your car to fit in the automatic car wash? the ones here in FL I use for my wife's benz, don't seem to have wide enough "tracks" to handle the 19" tires....so, I have been afraid to take my p-car thru it advice?
Old 02-16-2008, 10:45 AM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd be shocked silly if Deanski ever used an automatic (or any kind of) car wash.

_
Old 02-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 224 Posts

I've got Winter Contis on my car but they do not feel 'squirrely' at all....they do tend to understeer much more than the stock setup, but that's about it.
I wouldn't make any decisions while those winter tires are on there!!!!
Old 02-16-2008, 11:02 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I have taken it to the touchless car wash once (both rear quarter windows leaked slightly). It gets washed nearly every day at work (but the brushes swirl the clear coat). Their wash involves backing into a stall and pressing a button, so no wheel track issues. I don't think there is any wax from that wash and enough squirter fluid hits the windshield that I think its pretty clear (salt cuts it too).

On the squirming, I only regularly drive a couple of routes at speed, so it will be hard to isolate - may have to wait until the summer wheels/tires are back on (which I would do before replacing the nose anyway). I'm not really thinking this is a downforce issue, but any excuse for a mod...

again, thanks.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:26 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

1) Try the Bosch Icon Blades....they look cool and work well. FYI, the far edge of the passenger blade will streak a little due to the contour of the windshield.

2) Have your alignment redone. On the front end, ask them to adjust the toe to spec and dial in .8 to .9 degrees negative camber (rear to factory spec). Factory alignments are often way out of wack and can make the front end feel jumpy.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Couple of Qs