Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my dealer trying to rip me off on 20k service ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008 | 08:32 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark1996
Here are my thoughts:

1. It is a $100k car. Paying $500 or even $800 every 20k miles for maintenance is not expensive at all.
However, I am impressed by those of you who do their own maintenance.
2. Is the service cost really that expensive if your dealer is top notch and treats you and your car
extremely well? Nice loaner car? Makes last minute service appointments? Open on Saturdays?
Washes and vacuums your car? Does little extras like cleaning your front radiator and air cond cond
condenser of leaves and other debris?
3. Cleaning of the injectors sounds questionable. Flushing the brake system every two years is by the
book and I understand that even a little moisture in the system can lead to corrosion issues. Why
would Porsche include this in the schedule if it was not a good idea? God knows that they stretched
the oil change interval to the max! Is the 20k oil change interval an industry maximum?(just
wondering).
Some people take pride in doing all the washing wrenching theirselfs.
Why should one pay $800 or even $500 for something that can be done in an afternoon with less than $150 in fluids?
Then again why pay someone to wash my car, It is pride of ownership and enjoyable.
Old 02-17-2008 | 11:18 AM
P-Nuts
Racer

Thanks for all the advice and input. I decided against getting anything done at the dealer, except for the 20,000 service. I am going to get the brakes flushed at an independent. Does anyone have a great recommendation in the Fairfield County / Westchester County area ? I live in Greenwich, CT.

For the record the breakdown for the 20k service was as follows :
Labor $590
Parts $175.79
Environmental Charge $16.75
Sales Tax $46.96
TOTAL $829.50 - Seems right at the top end of the price scale !!!
Maybe I will try Danbury next time ?
Old 02-17-2008 | 04:13 PM
Steen Jensen
Instructor

I'm a believer in brake fluid changes for reasons stated in this thread.

This doesn't have to be complicated or expensive. Buy a 2 buck turkey baster and suck the fluid out of your master cylinder. Fill it back up with new brake fluid. This won't replace all of the fluid as there will be lots left in the lines and calipers. Drive the car a week and let the new fluid circulate with the old and repeat the turkey baster routine.

This isn't as good as a full flush and pressure bleed but it's about 90% cheaper and 90% as effective for the 10 mins it takes to do the job.

I do it with all my cars and have had no internal brake corrosion problems ever.
Old 02-17-2008 | 04:24 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Just for the record, I believe that the fuild chnage is also including the clutch fuild as well. I paid $150 for it. Of course, it may only cost $20 - $30 for the fuild. However the tech need to eat and the dearlership need to pay their rent and insurance as well. Every one open a business to make a living and we need to understand that. As for $800 for the 20k, I, again, believe it is on the high side. Again, I pay $449 and just happen to think it is reasonable for them to maintain a faculity to service our car. As for car wash, I never want them to touch my car with that.
Old 02-18-2008 | 03:37 AM
rickrsm
Intermediate

Shopped around for 20K service on my 06 C2S w 7400 miles, haven't had it done yet.

Beverly Hills Porsche $800+
Speed Gallery, Studio City $350, said they were Porsche certified
PS Racing, Burbank $450

Beverly Hills Porsche said its not required to change the brake fluid.
Anyone have other LA area suggestions?
Old 02-18-2008 | 04:15 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

I agree... did my own oil change and it was under $100 and most of that cost was the aFe air filter! Dealer was charging south of $200 to do it. Took me about an hour and that was mostly getting the freaking air filter box off and back on and assuring myself it was properly replaced!

I also have two independant shops in my Blackberry that I can call if I get into trouble. $800??? only if it involves a date with the dealer's daughter too!
Old 02-18-2008 | 03:53 PM
useridchallenged
Instructor

I change brake fluid every two years without fail. As others have already mentioned, brake fluid is hygroscopic. That moisture finds its way into the brake system, and causes premature failure on things like the brake cylinders or master cylinder. A brake fluid change is cheap insurance.
Old 02-18-2008 | 07:06 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rickrsm
Shopped around for 20K service on my 06 C2S w 7400 miles, haven't had it done yet.

Beverly Hills Porsche $800+
Speed Gallery, Studio City $350, said they were Porsche certified
PS Racing, Burbank $450

Beverly Hills Porsche said its not required to change the brake fluid.
Anyone have other LA area suggestions?
With only 7400 miles, I think all you need is an oil change. If it is 2 yrs old, I would get the brake flush too. I dont know off hand what exactly do they do on a 20k service but most of them are probably just check list. I wonder if they even include the air filter at 20k?

I just brought my 04 GT3 & 06 Cayenne S for oil change only @ BH last month. Both were about $280 each. No loaner car unless you have a warranty repair. I did call around but the few independent in my area wanted pretty much the same.
Old 02-19-2008 | 12:50 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by 4sound
Brake fluid should be flushed every 2 years, regardless of how many miles are on the Porsche.
I will agree with the above.

If history is a precursor to the future, flush your brake fluid at least every two years.

There are many aircooled cars that have sludge problems in their brake fluid. The ABS controllers dont do well with this white, milky sludge or clumpy brake fluid (as others have termed it) in their braking systems. There are micro-fine screens in the ABS controllers that can clog-up or at a minimum face restrictions. Once the newer cars are out of warranty, you, or the eventual owner will thank you for it.

As for associated costs for such a service, I am sure it varies greatly.

And why is the damn PIWIS so bloody expensive? I recall them priced at new what I paid for my house 8 years ago!!
Old 02-19-2008 | 10:18 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Oh boy... It's getting closer to my 2 year 20K mile service to be done. Better order my drum of KY lube.

Since it's a lease, I have to be careful as to who touches this car. I don't need more headaches durring these turbulent times.

I'll be doing the brake flush since I spent extra $$ for PCCB's, I'd rather know I have fresh fluid in the system.

Geez, why do we have to fork over all this cash for what amounts to be no more than oil and filter change along with someone plugging in a computer to validate the system.

Oh wait, I know now... normal rates for the oil/filter stuff.... It's when they plug in the tester... they need a MCSE, CCNP, etc certified tech to run the damn tester!!

Come April.... Bend over . my turn!!!!

Deanski
Old 02-20-2008 | 09:13 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Deanski
Oh boy... It's getting closer to my 2 year 20K mile service to be done. Better order my drum of KY lube.

Since it's a lease, ....

Oh wait, I know now... normal rates for the oil/filter stuff.... It's when they plug in the tester... they need a MCSE, CCNP, etc certified tech to run the damn tester!!

Come April.... Bend over . my turn!!!!:crying:

Deanski
Dean,

You can get the 55 gallon drum of K-Y lube at BendMeOver.com. They will give you free shipping!
Old 02-20-2008 | 09:26 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gota911
Dean,

You can get the 55 gallon drum of K-Y lube at BendMeOver.com. They will give you free shipping!
Hey, thanks big guy!! I need that drum and with free shipping....Uh oh...

Wait, why is the driver opening the drum?

Next time, why doesn't Porsche put in the PCM an ATM MSR instead of the SIM reader? At least we can just leave our credit/ATM card in the slot when we drive in for service.

I'm still waiting for the crystal decanters they must have used for the oil the last time I had it changed.

Deanski
Old 02-21-2008 | 12:26 AM
996Pete
4th Gear

I just paid $425 for the 20 K service on my 2007 C4S cab at my local Seattle area dealer. Labor was $220. Tax was $39, so the pretax cost of the service was less than $400. No coupon, but they did give a PCA discount of $42. I'm probably at the higher end of the range for mileage on 2007's, so I want to make sure my dealer knows my car well in the event any serious warranty issues arise.

I didn't realize I was getting such a good deal...
Old 07-27-2009 | 03:59 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Old thread I know but my dealer wanted to charge me 810.00 for my 20k service. Told him no thanks, I'll change my own filters, just change the oil. What are they thinking !!!!
Old 07-27-2009 | 05:08 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

I agree I have an '08 that is leased, and I am coming up on the 20K service. The book even says it is essentially an oil change, so that is all I am doing with an independent porsche shop, and then will have the book stamped. As for the brake flush, that is a simple $150 activity, max, depending on which brake fluid one uses, so the $450 is a nutso. When I had my e46 M3, I loved it, as all service was included.

Quick Reply: Is my dealer trying to rip me off on 20k service ??