Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my dealer trying to rip me off on 20k service ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Brake fluid change every 2 years is typical across all makes as the fluid will absorb any moisture it can see from the air, etc. If you end up with moisture in the brake system it starts to impact the way the hydraulics work, and the moisture can affect the steel bits of the braking system in the calipers over the very long term (like if you only change the fluid every 5-10 years). Still flush, refill, bleed.. its the same process on a 911 as on a Honda..

Coolant? I thought the cars came with 'lifetime' coolant?
Old 07-27-2009, 06:39 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Minok
Brake fluid change every 2 years is typical across all makes as the fluid will absorb any moisture it can see from the air, etc. If you end up with moisture in the brake system it starts to impact the way the hydraulics work, and the moisture can affect the steel bits of the braking system in the calipers over the very long term (like if you only change the fluid every 5-10 years). Still flush, refill, bleed.. its the same process on a 911 as on a Honda..
It does depend a bit on where you live. Moist areas, such as your Pacific NW, probably require more frequent changes than Tuscon, Palm Springs, LA, etc.

FWIW, I got the fluid changed at an Indy for $90 at 2.5 yrs, 20K miles. It's an easy job to DIY, if you like doing that sort of thing. $300 is a flat out waste of money. I guess Porsche dealers figure that people with money often don't know what is involved in these things and that they will pay basically anything.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:48 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

A brake fulid change with the Power Bleeder ($70+ATF blue $16) is easy and you and your kid
can do it in an hour. Oil change is easy to do (on a GT3 with a dry sump) and parts + oil is $90.
The air filter on a GT3 took 5 minutes all parts available from Pelicanparts.com
I havent checked the air and oil filters on this new one.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:03 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WTF are they doing to clean the fuel injectors beyond dumping some crap in the gas tank.

Can somebody shed some light on this.

I need to and see what is actually recommended.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:12 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I know it's an old thread, but WTH, changing brake fluid is an easy DIY and cheap (power bleeder and fluid).

I just had 16000 service (they tried to sell the pollen filter and brake fluid, but I already did both myself), which was just oil. $189 with coupon.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Swoody
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
A brake fulid change with the Power Bleeder ($70+ATF blue $16) is easy and you and your kid
can do it in an hour. Oil change is easy to do (on a GT3 with a dry sump) and parts + oil is $90.
The air filter on a GT3 took 5 minutes all parts available from Pelicanparts.com
I havent checked the air and oil filters on this new one.
Absolutely...I just did my oil recently (posted in turbo forum w/ pics) and 2 days ago w/ power bleeder and Motul rbf600 did my brake fluid (super easy DIY). If any pics are needed or any questions LMK and I will post them.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:22 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't get me wrong I have no problem paying for "service" but the soaking that my dealer wants to give me was just too much. In todays economy I would think that dealerships would be looking to intice their regular customers in coming in for true service. If they told me they would check everythign for free, and charge me for what was recommended I would have probable paided the bill. That would have been service!!
Old 07-28-2009, 06:16 PM
flintworks
Advanced

Porsche recommends flushing the brake fluid every two years because the fluid naturally absorbs water which lowers the boiling point. Water also causes corrosion which can cause the brake lines to deteriorate over time. On 993s if you didn't flush the brake fluid it would turn into jelly but this was a different type of fluid. Some PCA and other groups that do track days require you to flush the brake fluid within 90 days of the event. If anyone is in the SF bay area I just opened the only Porsche factory certified indepent shop in the area. I'll do brake flushes for $75 and oil changes for $100. PM me for details.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

anyone know a good shop in MD/VA? i live in gaithersburg so the closer the better.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:45 AM
richc
Pro

Did the dealer tell you about flushing the cabin air and replacing it with alpine air imported from Austria? It was only $440 when I got it done and it made a huge difference in the driving experience. They can replace your tire air too, I was told they'll do that for only $300. I passed on the tire air change.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:14 AM
JOHNNYWISHBONE
AutoX

injector cleaning, is that a bottle of techron?
Old 04-17-2010, 12:21 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JOHNNYWISHBONE
injector cleaning, is that a bottle of techron?
An 8-month delayed reaction?
Old 04-17-2010, 01:26 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Just a quick observation...

The rational that if you spent 100K +/- on a car you should be happy to spend $800.,without a whimper, on service that could be done less expensively by a reputable non-dealer just doesn't compute,. I know that owners want the best for their investment and to insure that they have taken all reasonable steps to protect their investment.. (probably "investment" is the wrong word) but the dealership plays on that line of thought. One of the reasons that I could almost afford the car is that I've been careful how I spend money and make sure not to waste it. If I can get the same required services done for less by an independent shop then it's just money that stays in my pocket t spend on other frivolous toys next year...

Just a thought...
Old 04-17-2010, 02:52 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Originally Posted by dmk2
I paid $279.66 at Momentum Porsche today for the two year service. It included an oil change and brake fluid change.

Where are you located?? If it's within 200 miles it would be worth the trip for the sightseeing and to get the service done while we wait....
Old 04-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by richc
Did the dealer tell you about flushing the cabin air and replacing it with alpine air imported from Austria? It was only $440 when I got it done and it made a huge difference in the driving experience. They can replace your tire air too, I was told they'll do that for only $300. I passed on the tire air change.
I have factory air in each of my tires!

Quick Reply: Is my dealer trying to rip me off on 20k service ??