Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

How much do they weight ?
Old 02-13-2008, 09:37 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
what makes them "cheap wheels" just because they are not extremely expensive? not sure I agree that automatically makes them cheap in quality....
If they are made right, specs taken lets say from a company that spent gazillions on R/D etc.... can a rim thats not very expensive be of at all quality?
Of course but are you willing to be the guinea pig for an unknown brand?

Volk, for example, makes a fantastic wheel that isn't absurdly expensive.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:39 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MLindgren
Did you ever think that Porsche might overcharge for their wheels? Maybe the "cheap" wheels are reasonable and the Porsche wheels are too expensive. More money doesn't necessarily mean higher quality-check the ratings between a Rolls Royce and Toyota Camry.
I never said otherwise. I was however making a statement about many "brand x" knock offs that can come in questionable quality. You've got a $90,000 automobile and it's first point of contact with the ground is the tires which are supported by your wheels. Why risk compromising these items to save a buck or two?
Old 02-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Lblackman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be a repost, or break some taboo, but there was a really interesting thread over on Pelican about the process of manufacturing forged wheels .... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ghlight=kodiak

I have done some digging and am now in the process of trying to have a set of these made as track wheels for my 07 C2S ... though in satin black.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:54 PM
eljeffo64
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by David A
How much do they weight ?
No idea - I'm using them as my "easy driving but sexy looking" road wheels so it's not a great concern (the weight) for me - I don't drive that mad on the roads here - I use my old OEM Lobsters for the track, I understand they are the lightest OEM 19" rims anyhow.

As a matter of interest; I wonder who manufactures the OEM wheels and where they might be made? - subcontractors to large motor manufacturers who tender the lowest for a batch of parts often come as a bit of a surprise!!
Old 02-13-2008, 01:20 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default thanks

great real world experience, thanks for the note...

Originally Posted by eljeffo64
I have the 10 spoke Sport Design "replicas" - been on for 3 months now and they are superb. They are well made, extremely well finished and so far, durable I have new TPMS sensore fitted on mine and am using them with PS2's ; no worries for me at any rate.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:24 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default who's the guinea pig?

Agreed a non name brand with no one recomending I would never ever do (hope no one else would either) so on that I agree. But for exmple this compny where many seemed to have had the wheels from (again think its wheel dynamics?) seemed to have a good experince etc. I would not put them in the same catagory as a complete unknown I guess is all i am saying.... but think I see your point.

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Of course but are you willing to be the guinea pig for an unknown brand?

Volk, for example, makes a fantastic wheel that isn't absurdly expensive.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Wheels