Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 04:57 PM
IanJames
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Aftermarket Wheels

Does anyone have any realworld experience with some of the Italian-made reproduction wheels? I particularly like the 19" CARRERA SPORT wheels. And aparantly they are soon to get 19" GT3 style wheels.

I just find it hard to beleive that there can be THAT much difference.

(only real-world experiences please, not simply opinions - I've got lots of those!)
Old 02-12-2008, 05:03 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going to give a simply opinion: Cheap wheels don't necessarily come from the same casting or forging processes of Porsche or other high quality wheel manufacturers (BBS, Fikse, Champion, CCW) and can suffer from inconsistent or simply bad quality that can cause unexpected failures that range from irritating and costly to deadly.

It's not a cheap car. Don't put cheap wheels on it.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:19 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Mr. Bonus. However, not every auto manufacturer builds their cars and/or wheels to Porsche's standards, and yet millions of cars manage to ply the roads each year without their wheels falling apart. If you plan on tracking, autocrossing, or otherwise pushing your car to it's intended and designed limits, you should definitely stay with high quality, name brand wheels.

I myself have a set of 18" Italian made reproduction Carrera S wheels on which I have mounted my winter/cold weather tires. I believe (having inspected them and worked for many years in the autobody/mechanical trades) they are a safe, well made product. Would I drive 120 mph with these wheels? Probably not, only because I would not drive that speed on regular roads, or with winter tires. Do I believe they are unsafe for normal use? No.

I like OEM equipment on my cars, but price wise, these aftermarket solutions can be appealing.

-Mike
Old 02-12-2008, 05:39 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Does the TUV certification mean anything? Ift it does I would be very weary of anything that didn't have it.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:04 PM
IanJames
Intermediate

Default a different point of view

Please don't take this as argumentive - BUT.

I did ask for REAL-WORLD experience.

Using the above argument, shouldn't we only use P-zero or otherwise Porsche "approved" tires? Or not use aftermarket exhausts? Or only pray at the alter of Bose audio?

That said, I actually like my Bose premium audio, but that doesn't mean that I don't think there are better, lower cost alternatives. Simply saying that Porsche approves something does not give it some sort of divine power. What about the thousands of reasonably priced racing wheels on tracks (and non-Porsches) roaring around at 120mph everyday?

(ducking and bracing for the attack!) But please take my comments with lightness, a sense of humor and PRAGMATISM.

I know that make some mad here, BUT, I'm an old timer. I've driven these beasts for going on 20 years. I lived through the purists crying foul when we went to water-cooling (cars which I frankly disliked for other reasons). But I owned them nonetheless. (7 all together from 911SC to my current 06 C2S)

I just have a hard time getting my head around what is a pretty simple and very OLD manufacturing process. It's not like we're talking about some chinese wheels made out of tin that LOOK good.

So once again, I'd really like to hear from some folks who have bucked the purists , and ACTUALLY TRIED these wheels.

Let the games begin (but please keep this on the subject of WHEELS)

Oh, and PS - it looks like the CARRERA SPORT 19" might be sold out on ebay anyway. But I'm still interested in experiences...
Old 02-12-2008, 06:30 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had aftermarket "look alike" winter wheels on my 993 for 7 years and never had a problem, however for my 996 and now my 997 I went w/ Porsche wheels for my winter tires, no good reason other than peace of mind.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:51 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Hi Ian,

I believe I was coming out in favor of these wheels. Perhaps what was in my head did not come across in my post. I do have them on my car (both 911's), and for 6 months out of every 12. If you're looking for someone who has ACTUALLY TRIED them (your caps), I do believe I qualify.

Respectfully, -Mike
Old 02-12-2008, 09:15 PM
IanJames
Intermediate

Default I love my CAPS

I totally got your point ibmiked! My soapbox rant was in response to the earlier post.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:28 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default nice post, curious as well

Very curious peoples thoughts, that said I have a feeling you referring of wheels such as those sold by www.wheeldynamics.com I have seen many positive posts about their products. Curious those who have comments who have bought such or similiar like wheels. Thanks

Originally Posted by IanJames
Does anyone have any realworld experience with some of the Italian-made reproduction wheels? I particularly like the 19" CARRERA SPORT wheels. And aparantly they are soon to get 19" GT3 style wheels.

I just find it hard to beleive that there can be THAT much difference.

(only real-world experiences please, not simply opinions - I've got lots of those!)
Old 02-12-2008, 09:40 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Gotcha Ian, thanks.

mickfluff; Mine were purchased from Wheel Dynamics, and it was a great experience, with knowledgeable people. The only better experience I've had with Porsche wheels was Wheel Enhancements.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:34 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IanJames
Please don't take this as argumentive - BUT.

I did ask for REAL-WORLD experience.

Using the above argument, shouldn't we only use P-zero or otherwise Porsche "approved" tires? Or not use aftermarket exhausts? Or only pray at the alter of Bose audio?

That said, I actually like my Bose premium audio, but that doesn't mean that I don't think there are better, lower cost alternatives. Simply saying that Porsche approves something does not give it some sort of divine power. What about the thousands of reasonably priced racing wheels on tracks (and non-Porsches) roaring around at 120mph everyday?

(ducking and bracing for the attack!) But please take my comments with lightness, a sense of humor and PRAGMATISM.

I know that make some mad here, BUT, I'm an old timer. I've driven these beasts for going on 20 years. I lived through the purists crying foul when we went to water-cooling (cars which I frankly disliked for other reasons). But I owned them nonetheless. (7 all together from 911SC to my current 06 C2S)

I just have a hard time getting my head around what is a pretty simple and very OLD manufacturing process. It's not like we're talking about some chinese wheels made out of tin that LOOK good.

So once again, I'd really like to hear from some folks who have bucked the purists , and ACTUALLY TRIED these wheels.

Let the games begin (but please keep this on the subject of WHEELS)

Oh, and PS - it looks like the CARRERA SPORT 19" might be sold out on ebay anyway. But I'm still interested in experiences...
I understand your argument but car forums are full of people with cheap wheels that have bent or cracked during "regular" use. You also will find that certain cheap aftermarket exhausts can rub on the undercarriage, rust, or simply fit poorly. This is why, like wheels, you need to choose a quality brand.

I certainly am far from an expert on the casting or forging process but I do understand that not all of them are created equally in terms of strength and durability.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:14 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default why are they cheap?

what makes them "cheap wheels" just because they are not extremely expensive? not sure I agree that automatically makes them cheap in quality....
If they are made right, specs taken lets say from a company that spent gazillions on R/D etc.... can a rim thats not very expensive be of at all quality?

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I understand your argument but car forums are full of people with cheap wheels that have bent or cracked during "regular" use. You also will find that certain cheap aftermarket exhausts can rub on the undercarriage, rust, or simply fit poorly. This is why, like wheels, you need to choose a quality brand.

I certainly am far from an expert on the casting or forging process but I do understand that not all of them are created equally in terms of strength and durability.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:48 AM
IanJames
Intermediate

for the record - TWO of my stock porsche turbo-style wheels on my old 2002 C4S got bent under normal wear. it happens. No black magic protecting them from unexpected potholes....
I'd still love to hear from more users of the Italian aftermarket wheels.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:50 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MrBonus

Did you ever think that Porsche might overcharge for their wheels? Maybe the "cheap" wheels are reasonable and the Porsche wheels are too expensive. More money doesn't necessarily mean higher quality-check the ratings between a Rolls Royce and Toyota Camry.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:18 AM
eljeffo64
Racer

I have the 10 spoke Sport Design "replicas" - been on for 3 months now and they are superb. They are well made, extremely well finished and so far, durable I have new TPMS sensore fitted on mine and am using them with PS2's ; no worries for me at any rate.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Wheels