997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think of this car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008 | 03:15 AM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Beautiful car but I rather buy a brand new one for that kind of money. Maybe less options but at least its brand new and I do not have to worry whether it has been abused??
Old 02-13-2008 | 03:43 AM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wilfred
Beautiful car but I rather buy a brand new one for that kind of money. Maybe less options but at least its brand new and I do not have to worry whether it has been abused??
I would respectfully disagree. Most people who buy a car like that are enthusiasts, and are thus predisposed to care for them with the same passion with which they drive them. It's a very well optioned car and one that is intended to be driven at the level for which it was designed. At a price somewhere in the 90's it's a relative bargain for the Porsche enthusiast who knows what he/she wants.

Frankly, given the level of depreciation on these cars, I would be hesitant to buy a new Porsche again. Besides, half the fun is in finding the right car - it's a little too easy to just stroll into the showroom and order one a la carte.
Old 02-13-2008 | 09:52 AM
adelaide
Advanced

what a sexy car! What could be wrong with that thing?
Old 02-13-2008 | 10:26 AM
Hauser_III
Racer

Originally Posted by irish guitar
it's a little too easy to just stroll into the showroom and order one a la carte.

I think there's a few people on the board, myself included, who would disagree with that statement. It's easy if you never change your mind, but if you live close to the dealership and you read Rennlist and keep getting crazy ideas and playing with the configurator and looking at what's on the showroom floor after your "really, really final, I know I mean it this time" last change to your order...
Old 02-13-2008 | 11:28 AM
1Carnut
Pro

I like it, I'd buy it if I was looking. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2008 | 01:45 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by irish guitar
I would respectfully disagree. Most people who buy a car like that are enthusiasts, and are thus predisposed to care for them with the same passion with which they drive them. It's a very well optioned car and one that is intended to be driven at the level for which it was designed. At a price somewhere in the 90's it's a relative bargain for the Porsche enthusiast who knows what he/she wants.

Frankly, given the level of depreciation on these cars, I would be hesitant to buy a new Porsche again. Besides, half the fun is in finding the right car - it's a little too easy to just stroll into the showroom and order one a la carte.
I agree. Why take that $15 or $20k depreciation hit on the first year, or $30k on first 2 years, if you can find a low mileage car with most or all of the things you want?. I can live with a couple of things that might be slightly different than my ideal car for that kind of money, especially if those things can be changed later (such as PSE or aftermarket exhaust, steering wheel, seats).
Old 02-13-2008 | 02:15 PM
dagor6
Advanced

Hey guys, thanks for all the great advice. I just ran the configurator on it and it came back at 132-133K.

Only question I have, if they CPO it, do they cover the PCCB rotors??
Old 02-13-2008 | 03:01 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by gab997
X51, PCCB's and aerokit, I would have bought it for 95k.
+1

Sweet, sweet C2S.

That powerkit at sea level is very supercar like.
Old 02-13-2008 | 03:09 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Wow, that surely was an expensive C2S! Anyways, with such low mileage, I don't see why the dealer wouldn't include the CPO. Unless the car has a questionable history? Like others have said, be sure to get a printout from Service Dept making sure there hasn't been any overrevs that will affect your warranty down the road. I believe 997 has different levels of overrev than 996. And certain types will void your warranty.

As far as the PCCB rotor goes, it is definitely part of normal wear & tear so I do not think it will be cover under warranty unless it's proven defective. And my understanding is 997 PCCB are the 2nd generation which I haven't read much complains on. Why are you concern on the rotors? Do they look suspicious?
Old 02-13-2008 | 05:27 PM
dagor6
Advanced

No, just that it costs so much per rotor. Anyway's they're covered under a full maintenance CPO anyway I found out and that's just another 1,500-2K. So, small number for peace of mind for 100K miles.

Thanks for all the advice guys.
Old 02-15-2008 | 06:32 AM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by wilfred
Absolutly agree. And don't think that only enthusiasts buy these cars. Many badge conscious people who don't know how to take care of cars buy them; especially in places like California.

See if you can get a new leftover 07 for invoice; I have seen them going for that at several dealers. Or order a lightly optioned one; you don't need a lot of extra crap on a car like this. As for PCCB's, I hope you never have to replace a rotor any time soon out of your pocket.

But forget all that I just wrote. If you are looking at spending around $95K, I would bet you can afford another $15K. It looks like more and more 997 GT3's are starting to hit the market, some for around $110K. Now those are true enthusiast cars (should be well cared for), and are a much better alternative to a C2S X51 which was speced for a ridiculous $130K +.

Save a few more dollars and start looking for that low mileage, low option GT3 that is being offered for under $110K (there might still be one for sale right now on this board at that price). When you find it, jump on it and don't look back.

How anyone could spec a C2S for over $130K is beyond me. You can get a base turbo (which already has full leather and bi-xenons and other standard goodies) for less than that; oh, and it has 480 hp (minor detail, but I thought I would mention it).

Also, as for NOT taking the depreciation hit on this one; don't forget that the resale on a Porsche is based 97% on the base price of the particular model being sold. Options are worth pennies on the dollar, except for a few such as PCCB's, wheels can bring some money, bi-xenons, and maybe PASM. I believe that a base C2S comes in below $85K if I remember correctly. You can forget going off of the $130K as the price of the car when determining its depreciated value.

Wait for a GT3 if you would like one; it has everything you need right out of the box; you don't need a single option, except maybe bi-xenons if you have poor night vision.
Old 02-15-2008 | 12:19 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by 340Elise
Absolutly agree. And don't think that only enthusiasts buy these cars. Many badge conscious people who don't know how to take care of cars buy them; especially in places like California.

See if you can get a new leftover 07 for invoice; I have seen them going for that at several dealers. Or order a lightly optioned one; you don't need a lot of extra crap on a car like this. As for PCCB's, I hope you never have to replace a rotor any time soon out of your pocket.

But forget all that I just wrote. If you are looking at spending around $95K, I would bet you can afford another $15K. It looks like more and more 997 GT3's are starting to hit the market, some for around $110K. Now those are true enthusiast cars (should be well cared for), and are a much better alternative to a C2S X51 which was speced for a ridiculous $130K +.

Save a few more dollars and start looking for that low mileage, low option GT3 that is being offered for under $110K (there might still be one for sale right now on this board at that price). When you find it, jump on it and don't look back.

How anyone could spec a C2S for over $130K is beyond me. You can get a base turbo (which already has full leather and bi-xenons and other standard goodies) for less than that; oh, and it has 480 hp (minor detail, but I thought I would mention it).

Also, as for NOT taking the depreciation hit on this one; don't forget that the resale on a Porsche is based 97% on the base price of the particular model being sold. Options are worth pennies on the dollar, except for a few such as PCCB's, wheels can bring some money, bi-xenons, and maybe PASM. I believe that a base C2S comes in below $85K if I remember correctly. You can forget going off of the $130K as the price of the car when determining its depreciated value.

Wait for a GT3 if you would like one; it has everything you need right out of the box; you don't need a single option, except maybe bi-xenons if you have poor night vision.
Interesting observation. This suggests that GT3s depreciate more slowly than the rest. Is this true? To me, depreciation is the biggest cost on these cars, so if the GT3 depreciates more slowly, it may be worth spending the extra money up front.
Old 02-15-2008 | 01:27 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Interesting observation. This suggests that GT3s depreciate more slowly than the rest. Is this true? To me, depreciation is the biggest cost on these cars, so if the GT3 depreciates more slowly, it may be worth spending the extra money up front.
I would say absolutely that they depreciate less than any other model. Even if you buy a used low mileage one right now for the full MSRP, I think you will be OK, but I think it should be an '08 in that case. Buy make sure it is a lightly optioned one, or one where the owner is not trying to get the money for all the worthless options. Look for a good used one for no more than $110K, but they should be coming in less than that more often now. Just have your money ready, save some more while you are waiting, do some homework, check many sources, and you should easily be able to achieve this. Also, you will probably find less options in the GT3's anyway since they are mostly owned by enthusiasts who are trying to save weight and don't want the extra fluff.

I paid about $109,620 for mine, and it has about 2500 miles on it now that it is a little more than 2 months old. I am confident that if I put it on the market right now, that I could get $109K for it. In fact, I have already had offers from local guys because they can't get their hands on one (they are too lazy to do their homework and look for one); so I am extremely confident that I can get that price.

Also, the 2008 allocations for all Porsches have been significantly cut, and the parts prices are going through the roof. I think our GT3's will do well for some time to come. And those who bought an RS at MSRP, you are in really good shape; but I don't think most of the RS owners care, they just love driving their cars!
Old 02-15-2008 | 02:47 PM
dagor6
Advanced

I think most of the dealers are heavily marking up GT3's. Just a quick look at the local dealer and ebay shows many asking in the 130 range for a used model.
Old 02-15-2008 | 03:22 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

I did a quick search nation wide on Autotrader and didn't find any under $111,000. I am encouraged by 340Elise' comments that they hold their value quite well, which is unusual for cars in this price range. I'm starting to get tempted. I particularly like that you can opt out of the whole PCM fiasco, which I find a PITA anyways.

Quick Reply: What do you think of this car?