Sponsored by:

Is TPMS warning just a light?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 03:59 PM
greenhouse
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is TPMS warning just a light?

I''m trying to decide if I want to spend the money for sensors on the winter tires or just deal. I bought tires from TR, but the wheels from wheels and caps. The local tire rack installer doesn't have them, so I'll have to buy them from TR or my dealer- TR seems cheaper. Having read this forum it seems I can't turn it off without specialized equipment. It's already mid-February so I'm tempted to worry
about it next winter and drive with the warning. Or do I just suck it up and get them? Also, can the local tire guy install them?
Old 02-11-2008, 05:57 PM
tkids
Pro

I don't know if your local tire guy can install them, but what I did was installed the sensors myself and brought the tires from TR, the sensors from Sunset Porsche, to the tire guys and let them install just the tires.

all is working well!

Originally Posted by greenhouse
I''m trying to decide if I want to spend the money for sensors on the winter tires or just deal. I bought tires from TR, but the wheels from wheels and caps. The local tire rack installer doesn't have them, so I'll have to buy them from TR or my dealer- TR seems cheaper. Having read this forum it seems I can't turn it off without specialized equipment. It's already mid-February so I'm tempted to worry
about it next winter and drive with the warning. Or do I just suck it up and get them? Also, can the local tire guy install them?
Old 02-12-2008, 01:08 PM
greenhouse
Advanced

Hwy id you buy your sensors at the dealer rather than TR? Are they hard to install? does the car just automatically recognize them or is there some sort communication you have to set up? Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:39 PM
tkids
Pro

I sent you a PM with links to other info.

price i paid from sunset last year.......sensors are 88.27 ea, and 11.09 ea for the metal valve stems
Old 02-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Sunset prices are as good as you can get. More and more tire dealers are handling this installation. (It's quite easy). After the wheels are mounted on the car it takes it a few minutes to establish a link to them. It's all automatic. If you have made a substantial change in their configuration (e.g., wheel diameter) you have to go into the TPMS system on the dash and update it when those wheels are onthe car until you change them out again.

Quick Reply: Is TPMS warning just a light?