Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW HARD ($) IS IT TO CHANGE DASH COLOR?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 12:08 AM
968PORSCHE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW HARD ($) IS IT TO CHANGE DASH COLOR?

I'm looking for a car but I hate not having a black dash. Because of this Im not looking much at light color interiors and I feel I'm limiting myself too much. If I could get the dash changed to black for a thousand or less, it really opens up the field of cars I can buy. Is this a realistic or is this a $3K job? I know there must be a bunch of expensive little trim parts needed to make the change correctly.
Ideally I'd want to change the steering wheel color and the top of the door panels, but that could be optional. Anyone have experience in this area?
Old 02-09-2008, 07:04 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Forget it, just find a black interior. There are tons of them.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 02-09-2008, 10:19 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I bet it's more then 3k...
Old 02-09-2008, 12:12 PM
WAC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a thread on the 996 forum about 6-7 months ago about leather interior pieces. Someone, who I think, is a Rennlist member fabricates leather interior pieces that look great and the prices seem reasonable. I was considering doing my 996 dash before I decided to buy another car and it seems like the upper dash was around $1k. I'm not a good searcher so after 5 minutes I gave up trying to find that thread - but it's out there somewhere. What I remember was this guy had good reviews from customers, his work looked great, he could color match, and his prices seemed reasonable.

If you were thinking of painting a plastic dash please forget that!
Old 02-09-2008, 03:40 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default this may not help but....

When you say dash I assume your not referring to dash gauges/instruments but anyway....I wanted silver gauges but found a deal on a car with black.... dealer wanted 2K for a silverinstrument panel plus install. Got lucky and found a new in box oem silver instrument cluster on ebay (will be here next week) for buy it now 350 and scooped it up. Dealer will reprogram and make the swap for me for 200. 550 total cost assuming the cluster comes in as advertised. Now need to sell my black instrument cluster to someone...

For actual dash may I suggest (long shot) looking for someone like you that may want to swap dashes, make their interior a 2 tone like? I am trying to do this now with seats.... I have black seats and want to trade for someone with grey. They will now have grey interior with black seats which I think would look slick on lets say a black car, seal grey or silver..... and I will have black interior with accent of grey seats which I think will look nice with my exterior of seal grey....... again long shot to find the swapper but maybe....

Finally there is a company in LA that deals solely in wrecked porsches and they have a ton of stuff.... figure more then 50% off from dealer. Just bought S tips for 99$ and they arrives this week, looked great. They had white cluster selling for 850.00 where dealer wanted 2K so just guessing at nearly half from dealer costs..

good look your going for....

Originally Posted by 968PORSCHE
I'm looking for a car but I hate not having a black dash. Because of this Im not looking much at light color interiors and I feel I'm limiting myself too much. If I could get the dash changed to black for a thousand or less, it really opens up the field of cars I can buy. Is this a realistic or is this a $3K job? I know there must be a bunch of expensive little trim parts needed to make the change correctly.
Ideally I'd want to change the steering wheel color and the top of the door panels, but that could be optional. Anyone have experience in this area?
Old 02-09-2008, 08:48 PM
WAC
Instructor

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Finally there is a company in LA that deals solely in wrecked porsches and they have a ton of stuff.... figure more then 50% off from dealer. Just bought S tips for 99$ and they arrives this week, looked great. They had white cluster selling for 850.00 where dealer wanted 2K so just guessing at nearly half from dealer costs..
Didn't think about that. You might also try Oklahoma Foreign.
www.oklahomaforeign.com.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:27 AM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WAC
There was a thread on the 996 forum about 6-7 months ago about leather interior pieces. Someone, who I think, is a Rennlist member fabricates leather interior pieces that look great and the prices seem reasonable.
I saved the link:
http://www.928leathershop.com/

tmc
Old 02-10-2008, 11:06 AM
b911s
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easy and cheap! Sorry had to do it!
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2008, 04:57 PM
WAC
Instructor

Originally Posted by tmc
I saved the link:
http://www.928leathershop.com/

tmc
Thanks! Now I've got it too, just in case.

Quick Reply: HOW HARD ($) IS IT TO CHANGE DASH COLOR?