Winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:08 AM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default Winter storage

I was wondering, those of you who store their P-cars in the winter:
Do you start them up from time to time not? The manual doesnt say anything about it in the storage section. I have not myself. But should i be worried about drying up the seals/gaskets and such. Or is it better to just wait until im ready to take it out?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:32 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I wait.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:53 AM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Drive it and you wont have these problems
Old 02-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No don't start it from time to time. You'll never get the acids within the oil/gas mixture burned up only by starting it and running it at idle or a few revs.

After winter this is my steps. What I did is pull the fuel pump relay, turn the car over until I get oil pressure, reseat the relay, then start it, let it come to operating temp, then drive it.

Prior to storage, I change oil.

Deanski
Old 02-07-2008, 09:24 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Unless your engine has been properly prepared for DEEP storage, it is always best to run it periodicaly to and beyond full temperature than it is to just let it sit. There is always moisture in an engine and left to sit oxidation occurs as well as acids will build up. Running the engine cleans this oxidation as well as removes condensation from all areas of the engine and recoats most areas with oil and coolant. It keeps both the engine and cooling system clean including valves and plugs. You want to get your oil up to about 200F and let the engine run for 10 - 15 longer. If you have a manual tranny, put the car in neutral and engage the clutch. This will warmup the tranny fluid and coat the gears. Tip should be put iin gear a few times.

If you cannot periodically run the engine and properly prepare it for deep sleep, at least let the engine injest a pint or more of transmission fluid through the intake. This will coat most areas of the engine and exhaust with a protective coat, helping to minimize oxidation.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:25 AM
StickShift964
Race Car

looks like the OP is from jersey by his license plate. It was 65 degrees out the other day up here in NY...on days like that how can you leave your car in the garage, even if its February?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:26 AM
NYNick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3 cars, no issues.

Don't worry about storing it. Plump up the tires, hook up the battery, top off the gas and cover it. I've had 2 996's and 1 997, stored them all every winter in an unheated garage,(we're really talking 5 mos. here, N,D,J,F,M) and forget it. No problems in 9 years.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:47 AM
cag64
Instructor

I believe I did read in the manual about starting the car when you store the car for winter. I believe if you did not have the car on the battery trickler, they wanted you to start the car every 5 to 7 days. If you do use the battery maintainer you can go longer without starting the car.

Stickshift964, I live in Jersey and indeed it was a balmy 65 the other day! I had my C2_S out and enjoying it. Believe me this winter has not been bad at all. Knock on wood!
Old 02-07-2008, 10:56 AM
DanR
Drifting

I live in NY and have driven it EVERY day this winter. Its a well built car and deserves to be driven. My personal take is that I bought the car to drive and enjoy and even on cold days I do not enjoy it as much when it is sat in the garage being a queen!

What is the worst that can happen?............it gets a bit cold and dirty? A wash works wonders!!!!.

ENJOY it!
Old 02-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

There is a lengthy article on winter storage on the PCA website. Things to consider are overfilling your tires to minimize flat spotting, and putting a fuel stabilizer in when you fill it up. (Keep the fuel tank full). Change the oil just before the slumber. Tape up the exhaust pipe,--a lot of moisture can enter an engine that way. Place rodent traps and bait at each wheel (depending upon your situation).
Old 02-07-2008, 01:12 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

This was my checklist when I was putting my 993 in to storage each winter:

 Run A Tank Full Of Chevron Fuel Injector Cleaner (With Techron) Before Oil Change
 Change Oil & Filter (every year)
 Change Brake Fluid (every other year)
 Change Transmission Fluid (every other year)
 Remove Battery And Wash Area With Baking Soda
 Lubricate Battery Terminals
 Clean Interior Carpet And Leather, Including Trunk Area
 Condition Rubber Seals, Trim, Etc. (Aerospace 303)
 Clean Convertible Top With RaggTopp
 Wash Car And Engine Bay
 Clean Wheels
 Seal Convertible Top With RaggTopp
 Wax Car (ZFX *2, Z6, Z5, Z6, Z2, Z8)
 Fill Gas Tank And Add Stabil (Run Engine To Circulate Stabil Through System)
 Over-Inflate Tires To 50 PSI
 Cover Openings In Engine And Exhaust With Aluminum Foil
 Moth ***** In Or Under The Engine Compartment (Put In Sock)
 Open Doors (close to one ‘click’)
 Plug In Battery Charger
 Release Parking Brake (Ensure In Gear)
 Cover Car
Old 02-07-2008, 03:33 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

Originally Posted by cag64
Stickshift964, I live in Jersey and indeed it was a balmy 65 the other day! I had my C2_S out and enjoying it. Believe me this winter has not been bad at all. Knock on wood!
get back out there! Sun is shining and its nice out!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:25 PM
sharmat
Pro

Looks like there are different views out there with regards to starting vs not starting up while in storage. I m tempted to start it to lube the internal parts but i know ideling is also not good, I agree that it will not burn off the acids and moisture as some have noted moisture in the oil fill cap after short drives.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:50 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by sharmat
Looks like there are different views out there with regards to starting vs not starting up while in storage. I m tempted to start it to lube the internal parts but i know ideling is also not good, I agree that it will not burn off the acids and moisture as some have noted moisture in the oil fill cap after short drives.

So, please explain why, as far as the engine is concerned, idling is not good. I would love to hear about it. Secondly, if warming up the oil to 200F while idling will not burn off acids and moisture then I assume you also believe that warming up the engine to 200F while driving will not burn them off? I wonder how acid and noisture can be burned off then?

Maybe an oil temperature of 200F while idling is cooler than 200F while driving.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:39 PM
sharmat
Pro

I'm not sure exactly the reason why idling is discouraged. One is envionmental. Also you would be putting wear on the motor without actually driving it.
As far as warming it up every often; i think it needs to be driven to get the moisture and acids out. For one thing Idiling doesnt get the oil pressure up and even if it did you'd have to idle for a while. I think just the act of getiing the revs up for a constant amount of time ( like while driving) helps more than idiling. I even wonder if idiling is worse than not starting it all.
Thats what think anyway
I dont have a scientific answer; i was hoping to get one from one of you.

Quick Reply: Winter storage