Sponsored by:

cpo question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 04:35 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default cpo question

does a buyer of a cpo car lose the cpo if the seller passes it through a dealership to save on taxes on a car hes buying?
Old 02-06-2008, 04:41 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CPO warranties are transferable private owner to private owner only. If a non-Porsche dealership is involved, the CPO warranty gets lost if they show up anywhere in the paper work. Even if you use a Porsche dealership I think they will have to recertify it.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:27 PM
akim47
Racer

Originally Posted by rmillnj
CPO warranties are transferable private owner to private owner only. If a non-Porsche dealership is involved, the CPO warranty gets lost if they show up anywhere in the paper work. Even if you use a Porsche dealership I think they will have to recertify it.
and ur only talking about the cpo warranty correct? is the original 4yr warranty good regardless of where you buy it from?
Old 02-06-2008, 06:42 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by akim47
and ur only talking about the cpo warranty correct? is the original 4yr warranty good regardless of where you buy it from?
Yes, The factory warranty follows the car.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:10 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Originally Posted by jnx
Yes, The factory warranty follows the car.
Yes, and that is why it is so important to find out the original in-service or delivery date so you know where the clock starting ticking. That is one thing that CARFAX does always provide. Hopefully though it matches up with what Porsche has in their database.

Porsche did mess up my CPO warranty. I bought my car in July 2005 and figured my warranty would expire by August, 2007. For some unknown reason Porsche listed the expiration date of my CPO warranty as Feb, 2008. I got an extra 6 months which saved me when they had to replace my transmission.

To be safe I would always recommend running the VIN through Porsche to get their date. Any service department can do that for you.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:18 PM
akim47
Racer

Originally Posted by rmillnj
Yes, and that is why it is so important to find out the original in-service or delivery date so you know where the clock starting ticking. That is one thing that CARFAX does always provide. Hopefully though it matches up with what Porsche has in their database.

Porsche did mess up my CPO warranty. I bought my car in July 2005 and figured my warranty would expire by August, 2007. For some unknown reason Porsche listed the expiration date of my CPO warranty as Feb, 2008. I got an extra 6 months which saved me when they had to replace my transmission.

To be safe I would always recommend running the VIN through Porsche to get their date. Any service department can do that for you.
sorry for the add'l question... so u had a '99 car that had a CPO warranty until 2007 (excl. the free 6 mo)? how can u get this done? i read on the porsche website that it was only good for the first 6 years/100K of the car...

is it anytime they sell a used porsche that they can "certify" it, and then u get 2 years? so that means if i can find an '02 on a dealer lot that is CPO, i can get the ext. warranty until 2010?

thanks,
aK

Quick Reply: cpo question