997 Stock Muffler Modification

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 12:57 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 997 Stock Muffler Modification

Hello,

I recently purchased a set of lightly used (5,000 miles) mufflers from eBay and sent them to Darin Fister, who is a Rennlist member. He modified them by connecting the inlet and exhaust ends of the muffler using a short length of stainless pipe. This modification is relatively popular with the 993 and 996 Rennlisters, so I thought I would chime in for those of us who are 997 owners. Below is a picture of the modification, followed by before and after clips. I did the install in about 1 hour (both sides) using a lift. It could easily be done with jackstands or ramps, as other Rennlisters will attest.

Overall I am extremely happy with this inexpensive modification. I paid $100 for the mufflers from eBay, and only slightly more than that for Darin to do his magic. With shipping, the whole project came in under $300. Best of all, I retain the original mufflers, and can revert back anytime I like. In addition, Darin can also weld a collar on the end of the exhaust pipe which will allow regular Carrera users to instead have Carrera S tips if desired.

All in all, one of the least expensive modifications I have done, after changing to clear side markers. Judge for yourself the sound, I personally like it a lot.

The bypass pipe:

The welded collar for Carrera S tips:

Before video:

After video:

-Mike

_
Old 02-06-2008, 01:15 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice, Mike.

It's definitely been a preferred mod on the earlier versions and it sounds great on the 997, too. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:54 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default thanks

Great write up and sound clips thanks.... why did you buy mufflers on ebay and not just use the ones you had on your car? just curious....

Originally Posted by ibmiked
Hello,

I recently purchased a set of lightly used (5,000 miles) mufflers from eBay and sent them to Darin Fister, who is a Rennlist member. He modified them by connecting the inlet and exhaust ends of the muffler using a short length of stainless pipe. This modification is relatively popular with the 993 and 996 Rennlisters, so I thought I would chime in for those of us who are 997 owners. Below is a picture of the modification, followed by before and after clips. I did the install in about 1 hour (both sides) using a lift. It could easily be done with jackstands or ramps, as other Rennlisters will attest.

Overall I am extremely happy with this inexpensive modification. I paid $100 for the mufflers from eBay, and only slightly more than that for Darin to do his magic. With shipping, the whole project came in under $300. Best of all, I retain the original mufflers, and can revert back anytime I like. In addition, Darin can also weld a collar on the end of the exhaust pipe which will allow regular Carrera users to instead have Carrera S tips if desired.

All in all, one of the least expensive modifications I have done, after changing to clear side markers. Judge for yourself the sound, I personally like it a lot.

The bypass pipe:

The welded collar for Carrera S tips:

Before video:

After video:

-Mike

_
Old 02-06-2008, 01:57 PM
ibmiked
Pro

There was the turn-around time for shipping them to Darin and back that would have left the car (my daily driver), out of commission.

Thanks for the compliment(s).

-Mike

_
Old 02-06-2008, 03:28 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Mike, I'm glad you like the new mod! It sounds great. Thanks for the clips.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:22 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default wanna sell your old mufflers?

I am doing this mod, will gladly buy your old mufflers and do the same thing that you did!.... PM me if interested! Thanks, and again thanks for the great video clips etc...

There was the turn-around time for shipping them to Darin and back that would have left the car (my daily driver), out of commission.

Thanks for the compliment(s).

-Mike

_
Old 02-06-2008, 05:42 PM
ibmiked
Pro

The mufflers will fit fine, the widebody/narrowbody/Carrera/Carrera S mufflers are all the same, with the only difference being the flare at the end to accept the Carrera S tips. I'd be happy to sell mine to you for the same price I paid for the eBay ones, $100. I'll pack them up and ship them to Darin too if you'll pay the shipping costs.

-Mike

_
Old 02-06-2008, 10:28 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay, sounds great so, what is the downside to doing this? Does it reduce backpressure such that you have sacrificed low end torque? Anything negative? if not, I'd have to think that everyone would be doing this for only a $100 expense.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:58 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. What or how does it effect PSE muffler systems?

After the mod, what about 200 Cell cats? With a stock PSE and 200 cell cats, it does sound much better!

Deanski
Old 02-07-2008, 12:09 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Deanski
Interesting. What or how does it effect PSE muffler systems?

After the mod, what about 200 Cell cats? With a stock PSE and 200 cell cats, it does sound much better!

Deanski
It is similar to the PSE, It can't be done to PSE mufflers.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:27 AM
CayenneS2083
Advanced

i did the same thing, i got some carrera s mufflers for free and got some s tips to go with it and i payed $80 for the mod and still have my stockers. This is the best mod i have done, alot of people even say they prefer it to all the aftermarket mufflers they've heard.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jnx
It is similar to the PSE, It can't be done to PSE mufflers.
DARN!

Deanski
Old 02-07-2008, 08:32 AM
ibmiked
Pro

Just to give you an idea of how great this modification is from a cost standpoint, here's a link to a Gemballa auction on eBay selling similarly modified mufflers for $750!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPORT...spagenameZWDVW

These mufflers have a slightly different set of bypasses welded in, but I still think Darin's mod is the biggest bang for the buck. And just to be clear, I am not affiliated with FisterD in any way, I am simply a happy customer, passing along my opinion.

Thanks Darin, my friend loves his 993 mufflers as much as I like mine.

-Mike

_
Old 02-07-2008, 01:59 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Just to give you an idea of how great this modification is from a cost standpoint, here's a link to a Gemballa auction on eBay selling similarly modified mufflers for $750!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPORT...spagenameZWDVW

These mufflers have a slightly different set of bypasses welded in, but I still think Darin's mod is the biggest bang for the buck. And just to be clear, I am not affiliated with FisterD in any way, I am simply a happy customer, passing along my opinion.

Thanks Darin, my friend loves his 993 mufflers as much as I like mine.

-Mike

_
Gemballa has to be the most illiterate outfit I've seen yet. Not knocking their products, but sure wish they could communificate more better! For some reason, I'm always nervous dealing with a company that can't communicate effectively.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:23 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

WOWWWW that sounds so much better Mike. Can you get a video of you driving away under load?

Quick Reply: 997 Stock Muffler Modification