Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any good photos of the various steering wheel options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:33 PM
doctorpcar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any good photos of the various steering wheel options?

The different wheels and the various leather thicknesses, etc? Its really hard to determine this from the configurator which personally I think is a little weak in the year 2008.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:35 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

They all suck. Many are going aftermarket (TechArt, others).

Come on Porsche, WAKE UP!

If you want thick, many go for the thicker sport wheel. But if you need all the buttons and doo-dads, multifunction is the choice. Neither suits my taste.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 01-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Tinluver
Instructor

can you get the multi function on an all leather wheel.Can Multi Function with carbon be changed to an all leather sport wheel.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:33 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

My 2005 C2S Cab has multifunction with leather, but it has a thinner rim than the sport wheel. I would be glad to give up the multi-function (which sucks compared to other cars) if I could have a thicker rim like the sport wheel. The MF is a waste of money as far as I'm concerned. I haven't found anything that provides both MF and a nice thick rim in leather (or alcantara).
Old 01-29-2008, 10:44 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You can

Originally Posted by keninirvine
My 2005 C2S Cab has multifunction with leather, but it has a thinner rim than the sport wheel. I would be glad to give up the multi-function (which sucks compared to other cars) if I could have a thicker rim like the sport wheel. The MF is a waste of money as far as I'm concerned. I haven't found anything that provides both MF and a nice thick rim in leather (or alcantara).
You can get the M/F wheel with a thicker rim. I have the "sport" 3 spoke wheel with a fatter rim. It works for me as I don't have Sh*tbox Nav system in my car so have no need to fiddle with stuff when I should be driving.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:15 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by Le Chef
You can get the M/F wheel with a thicker rim. I have the "sport" 3 spoke wheel with a fatter rim. It works for me as I don't have Sh*tbox Nav system in my car so have no need to fiddle with stuff when I should be driving.
I've never seen a MF wheel with a decent rim. Is it offered as an option by Porsche, or is it a 3rd party wheel? (I just happened to notice a little while ago that Shark Werks carries one, for about 2 grand. Seems a little steep for just a fatter rim.)
By the way, I find the MF controls for the Nav just as useless as the Nav system itself, so they never get used. The only one I use is the volume control, and I can just as easily use the **** on the radio! If it weren't for the incompatibility of my airbag with sport wheels, I'd make the switch to a sport wheel and ditch the MF feature.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:01 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

All options below are official Porsche options

Option 341 = Multifunctional wheel = $740

Option CPA = Thicker rim = $930 for M/F wheel

= $1670 for a M/F wheel with a thicker rim...

In the end NOT a cheap option!
Old 01-30-2008, 02:06 AM
doctorpcar
Instructor

What is this?

Old 01-30-2008, 02:09 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by Le Chef
All options below are official Porsche options

Option 341 = Multifunctional wheel = $740

Option CPA = Thicker rim = $930 for M/F wheel

= $1670 for a M/F wheel with a thicker rim...

In the end NOT a cheap option!
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that option.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:24 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorpcar
What is this?

Looks like a multi function carbon fibre story. Too polished and flashy for my likes.......at least for a 997.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:07 AM
Tinluver
Instructor

Thats the wheel I have.Don't like the hard cold feel of the carbon.Rather have all leather.Did I read correctly that the air bag in that wheel is not compatable with a thicker all leather multifunction wheel?
Thanks
Old 01-30-2008, 08:41 AM
Tinluver
Instructor

Can anyone tell me.is the thicker sport wheel with the grips on top half and round hub smaller and thicker then the sport wheel with the triangle hub.Also does anyone have a preference between these wheels.Are the hand grips comfy or annoying.Laslt can these come as multi function?
Old 01-30-2008, 09:07 AM
V.A.G.
Three Wheelin'

What is this?

I like the red stitching! The steering wheel not so much. Not a fan of the carbon fiber.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Hauser_III
Racer

Originally Posted by Tinluver
Can anyone tell me.is the thicker sport wheel with the grips on top half and round hub smaller and thicker then the sport wheel with the triangle hub.Also does anyone have a preference between these wheels.Are the hand grips comfy or annoying.Laslt can these come as multi function?
If my memory is not currently faulty, there are no sport wheels with triangle hubs, as all sport wheels have a round hub. The diameter of the wheels with the triangle hubs is larger than the diameter of the sport wheels, and triangle hub wheels do not have the hand grip area (which to me is just more of a thumb rest area). And there's no way to get a sport wheel with multi-function controls, as all multi-function wheels have the triangle hub.

There is a "regular" sport wheel, and then there's an option for a "thicker" sport wheel with smooth leather which costs $800 on the C4S. The thicker sport wheel still has the hand grip/thumb rest area, but has more padding and is thus a little bit bigger in diameter than a "regular" sport wheel, but still definitely smaller than a triangle hub wheel. I finally saw a thicker sport wheel this past weekend, and ended up adding it to the car that I have ordered.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:41 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

What is this?

Ouch!!! That's what you'd be screaming after getting into your car after finishing lunch and getting back into your car here in S. FLa!

Quick Reply: Any good photos of the various steering wheel options?