Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I could use a little help spending some money.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 04:43 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I could use a little help spending some money.

Hi,

After a couple failed attempts I am finally ready to buy my first 911 and I could use a little help making some decisions.

But first, I'd like to introduce myself as a new member. Although new to this forum I've been around the new groups for a long time so I'm familiar with the rules and yes I did search but didn't see my questions answered in this forum. [note: this is the opportunity for someone who has every message memorized to dump on the newbie and prove me wrong ;-)]

I am currently thinking that I will get a 2006 C2S Cab and I'd like to keep it around $70K but these are all flexible.

2006? Is there any difference between the '05 and the '06 or is there any reason to avoid the '05 like first year of a new model? It doesn’t appear that a ’07 would be in my price range.

C4 or C2? I had a C4 on order back when the NASDQ was at 5K. But, recently I was told (questionable source) that the C4s weren't as quick as the C2s. I see a rat hole starting on this one.

S - Okay, maybe that one's not as flexible. Definitely getting the S.

Manual or automatic? My commute (25 mi) can “you know what.” Some days the cars are grill to gashole and crawling at a snails pace. I currently have a stick and I swear I’ll never get another when I’ve shifted 20 times before getting to 3rd. But getting an automatic in a 911 just doesn’t seem right. It ranks up there with playing golf with your wife.

Cab or Coupe - after test driving cars this weekend my wife said that if I'm going to spend that much on a car get a convertible. Now I can rationalize spending a little more. But, does the cab handle differently from the coupe. Also they are building a real nice track here in Austin and should I take a cab on a track (I think I know the answer).

With the basics out of the way what options are must haves and which are to be avoided? I was at the dealer in Austin over the weekend and they said all of the cars they order for the lot have, among other things, heated seats. Hello, this is Texas, WTF do you need heated seats for?

Certified used or is there an aftermarket warranty I could buy. The certified used on my current car saved my butt on a couple occasions.

Leads on or pointers to available cars appreciated. I would like to pull the trigger soon and definitely by the end of March. Current car going to my kid on his 16th B-Day.

Paul
Old 01-28-2008, 06:10 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default here you go

OK keep in mind I am still a noob but want to try and help as many have helped me in the past.... all my answers are just my opinion and based on data I have gathered......

From what I have read no major differences between 05 and 06 although if you go c4s keep in mind some early 05's are the old body style...note. Does not seem as if the 05 new 997 had any major defects that were fixed in 06 that would make it a clear choice to avoid an 05.

c4s is a tad bit slower then a c2s....but not by much maybe .02-.04 seconds range based on transmission choices, weight etc etc... it is faster but not insanely faster. NOTE C4s is a tad wider as well......

S the clear choice? Hmmmm beg to differ here, tons of articles and owners have their views...some saying the S is not clearly much better if you are factoring cost to get the S package...the S is only a few tenths quicker and although better brakes and some other perks for all street driver not sure you can truly work the car to the point where you will use the max performance the S offers you... some say the power delivery of the non S is a bit more smooth etc.... and others that do track their cars say this is where the S really shows its true potential over the non S. This is just some data I have gathered, no need for anyone to club me to death here.... tons of data on S vs NON S out there to read and self educate on. both great, if money no object sure get the S but if your looking to save 5-8K this may not be a bad place to consider...

Auto is nice but a tad slower and if you hate to shift then its an option to consider....for me I would only buy a 6 speed, the feeling of control shifting through the gears is just fun for me and whats part of the driving experience. Not a right or wrong here just personl preference. If your debating this sounds like your not going to track the car a lot (as 6sp the clear choice if you were) so really your own preference here.

Cab or coupe another thingsall based on who owns it....cab a bit heavier by a tad etc but you get the perk of no roof so is the added weight savings really worth it? if you really want to see the sky I say no.... If your seriously going to track the car then maybe cab is not the best choice...this is where every pound and every bit of rigidity matters and a coupe maybe a better choice....Some tracks allow the cabs, I run a cab (s2000) as track now and its fun as can be,,,, what an experiebce with top down at the track! Some tracks won't let me on without a roll bar like Lime Rock...

Xenon, pwer/heat sport seats, sport chrono package some like and some do not, bose system.... there are a slew of option codes out there.

I have a great deal on a local non s, CPO, from a dealer, nicely optioned with 16K miles for 53K, 6 speed, seal grey, sport chrono, bose, xenons, power/heat seat etc... and black leather, I may wait so maybe willing to pass over the lead.... if anyone else is interested let me know. Test drove the car and its very clean IMO.

Yes may suggest getting car still under factory warranty or thats been CPO'd cert pre owned with the factory like extended warranty.... www.warrantydirect.com sells a nice warranty from what I hear if you find an 05 out of warranty and not CPO'd..

hope that helps.... just trying to help

Originally Posted by pmgoodwin
Hi,

After a couple failed attempts I am finally ready to buy my first 911 and I could use a little help making some decisions.

But first, I'd like to introduce myself as a new member. Although new to this forum I've been around the new groups for a long time so I'm familiar with the rules and yes I did search but didn't see my questions answered in this forum. [note: this is the opportunity for someone who has every message memorized to dump on the newbie and prove me wrong ;-)]

I am currently thinking that I will get a 2006 C2S Cab and I'd like to keep it around $70K but these are all flexible.

2006? Is there any difference between the '05 and the '06 or is there any reason to avoid the '05 like first year of a new model? It doesn’t appear that a ’07 would be in my price range.

C4 or C2? I had a C4 on order back when the NASDQ was at 5K. But, recently I was told (questionable source) that the C4s weren't as quick as the C2s. I see a rat hole starting on this one.

Manual or automatic? My commute (25 mi) can “you know what.” Some days the cars are grill to gashole and crawling at a snails pace. I currently have a stick and I swear I’ll never get another when I’ve shifted 20 times before getting to 3rd. But getting an automatic in a 911 just doesn’t seem right. It ranks up there with playing golf with your wife.

Cab or Coupe - after test driving cars this weekend my wife said that if I'm going to spend that much on a car get a convertible. Now I can rationalize spending a little more. But, does the cab handle differently from the coupe. Also they are building a real nice track here in Austin and should I take a cab on a track (I think I know the answer).

With the basics out of the way what options are must haves and which are to be avoided? I was at the dealer in Austin over the weekend and they said all of the cars they order for the lot have, among other things, heated seats. Hello, this is Texas, WTF do you need heated seats for?

Certified used or is there an aftermarket warranty I could buy. The certified used on my current car saved my butt on a couple occasions.

Leads on or pointers to available cars appreciated. I would like to pull the trigger soon and definitely by the end of March. Current car going to my kid on his 16th B-Day.

Paul
Old 01-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Send your money to:

ME!

I'll invest it wisely!!

all kidding aside, would you like me to do a search for you?

Personally, I'd go with a CERTIFIED Pre Owned.

Email me, so we can chat back and forth-

Chris@clevelandporsche.com

Cheers,
Old 01-28-2008, 06:16 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I believe 2006 is the first model year for the 997 cab, there's no 2005.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:22 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
Ummm, not quite true...
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2008, 06:48 PM
crg1717
Advanced

1st post and already a member . You might have just past coochas as favorite poster !!! Welcome CRG
Old 01-28-2008, 06:58 PM
crg1717
Advanced

look at the new Targa , coupe looks with open air top . good luck , crg
Old 01-28-2008, 07:05 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Originally Posted by crg1717
1st post and already a member . You might have just past coochas as favorite poster !!! Welcome CRG
Actually I just renewed for another 2 years. I was ready to buy 2 years ago but my new boss went out and bought one (I suspect to **** me off). So, to avoid having to listen to sucking sounds from co-workers I put it off. I knew one or both of us wouldn't be there long.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by THPorsche
Keep in mind in 05 there was no C4S cab in 997; only 996.

Personally I think it's reasonable to get a 997 cab for under $70k.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

PMG

Congrats on both entering this wild Porsche world soon, and on stepping into member category. Nice.

As for the options, we can add stuff for the interior after the fact, so don't spend the money now if you don't have to!

CPO would be a great first step. This way you have peace of mind and coverage should something go wrong. Check the dealers here on Rennlist (site sponsors, etc), and in your own area too.

Take your time, you'll find what you want. I'm a cab guy, so I can't tell you which way to go on that decision.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 01-28-2008, 07:13 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
I'm a cab guy, so I can't tell you which way to go on that decision.

Now I'm confused... I thought you were a plug guy...
Old 01-28-2008, 07:17 PM
geoff w
Advanced

My wife has an '05 C2, first year for the 997. No problems, and at less than 3 years old she already has about 43K miles. It has had way fewer problems than my '01 Boxster. We plan to keep it after the warranty runs out without an aftermarket warranty. I've had no major repair expense on my Boxster since the warranty ran out

A couple of months ago I got a letter from Porsche asking about interest in trading up to a new 997. The letter stated Porsche is short of late model good quality Carreras and they are contacting owners to see if there's any interest.

My wife's 997 has heated seats, HIDs, tip, nav, supple leather and some other options. She insisted on all the same things for the Cayenne we've got on order (no, we're not giving up the Boxster or Carrera). I think the main differences from '05 to 06 are the tire pressure monitoring and the '05 PCM doesn't play MP3s, whereas the newer ones do.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Now I'm confused... I thought you were a plug guy...

the plug guy

a cab guy

Old 01-28-2008, 08:12 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default nice cab for sale 70K range -light mods-

just saw this,

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...d.php?t=112895

Hi,

Paul
Old 01-28-2008, 08:20 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

If you think you're going to end up going to the track (and if you're thinking about it already, you will), then you will in the end want an S (more power, better power band, bigger brakes, & PASM in sport mode on the track). You'll want a Coupe for the improved torsional stiffness, and you will without question want a manual. If boulevard cruising is more your style, then the cab will be nice, & so might the tip I suppose, though I couldn't bring myself to have a tip.

As far as the heated seats, I'm amazed at how many people have that attitude that "I'm in Texas, I don't need heated seats". Well I'll tell you that I had heated seats until I put in GT3 seats, and while I wouldn't go back to the stock seats (not enough support for the track), I sure miss the seat heaters from time to time.

As far as differences between the 05 and 06, I know of two minor ones. First of all, the early 05's were unable to play MP3 CD's. From mid-year 05 on, the PCM can play MP3's. That is a nice advantage, as it can take the place of a CD changer. The other difference is that in the Coupe, the 06 has an improved wind deflector that decreases the amount of drumming when the sunroof is open. As I said, minor changes.

Have fun shopping!

Quick Reply: I could use a little help spending some money.