Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repairing / Removing Rear Bumperettes--step by step

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 09:19 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 683 Likes on 409 Posts

Bumperettes or what ever you want to call them are worthless in Texas. Pick ups hit you 2 ft above them. Then laugh at you.
The following users liked this post:
8x57IRS (02-11-2022)
Old 09-06-2018, 02:34 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 743 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by ManoTexas
Bumperettes or what ever you want to call them are worthless in Texas. Pick ups hit you 2 ft above them. Then laugh at you.
That was my first thought. When I got rear ended in my EVO, the girl ran through my trunk. The bumper was fine!!
Old 02-10-2022, 05:31 PM
Brian Hoyt
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris, this is a very belated reply to your question, but I just completed the rear bumper removal and replacement IAW Dan's instructions on my 997.2, and it worked exactly as Dan described.

I live in France and have a NA spec car and just completed the VERY lengthy homologation process (15 months and several thousand euros in modifications and inspections). The final step for getting the car ready for French roads is to put one of the long, narrow European plates on the rear (520x110 mm). It won't fit with the bumper covers/bumperettes in place, so I thought I'd see if they could be removed. Short answer: not easily. Plus, after reading this thread, I like the idea of having the additional protection they afford. Anyway, I'll go with the alternate plate size (275x200 mm). Doesn't look as clean as the standard Euro plate, but I'm done with modifications!

Brian
Old 02-10-2022, 08:27 PM
ilovemaui
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 182 Posts

I like the clean look but it does leave the bumper vulnerable to damage during low speed collision. A couple years ago I was in line to cross the Canadian border and the guy behind me wasn’t paying attention and bumped my rear bumper. Fortunately he just barely tapped the bumperete and it did no damage but it would have far worse if not for the bumperetes.
Old 03-23-2024, 08:03 AM
supersquid
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, a belated post. I'm working through the same process now in Italy. I will likely opt for the smaller plate for now. I eventually want to upgrade to aero or Sport Classic body work. At that point, I'll opt for the ROW bumpers.

Quick Reply: Repairing / Removing Rear Bumperettes--step by step