Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 and 4S owners some thoughts on the car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 08:39 PM
doctorpcar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
I would rec that you try to get an extended audition with each (half day/half day).

I was fortunate to be able to do an extended test drive of one and to borrow the other. I think in time you would "learn" the way to use each engine best. Many here love the torque/grunt/power of the 3.8. I fall into the camp of those that prefer the way the 3.6 spools and revs. I liked the 3.8. But i liked the 3.6 better for where and how I was going to use/drive the car. While the 3.8 is heavier, I think your impressions are really a result of not knowing (yet) how best to "use" the motor. Bottom line, once you decide and buy, you then "learn" your engine and the pre-purchase decisions matter less and less.

I have the 4 as well. There is a different feel to a 4. In the pure rear wheel set up you are 'pushed'. Many consider this the P car experience. In the 4, you are 'pulled' as well as pushed. It is a different experience, not better for sure but not necessarily worse.
Thx for the feedback, my understanding was that under most circumstances you are only pulled 5% of the time. Are you able to tell after driving when and how much the car tends to send power up front? And to clarify you have the C4?
Old 01-27-2008, 08:46 PM
WAC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems to me that the "pulling" or front wheel drive is most noticeable in hard cornering like really pushing it on cloverleafs for example. During normal around town type driving I don't notice it at all. You've also got to consider whether the other options that come with the "S" package are important to you.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:03 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorpcar
Thx for the feedback, my understanding was that under most circumstances you are only pulled 5% of the time. Are you able to tell after driving when and how much the car tends to send power up front? And to clarify you have the C4?
T4 actually. Note, the 3.6 is my prejudice. I always go for the smaller displacement if power is (relatively) similar as i like to be higher in the rev band. Here in the land of the Police, I could not use the 3.8 that way without putting my DL in jeopardy every time out. It is very very hard to keep the 3.6 within the radar tolerance speed limit allowed (w/in 10 mph) at 3 to 5K rpms.

As for the operation of the awd system, go to the Porsche USA website and play the video explanation for the same (pick the C4, tech, engine & transmission, awd and watch the video). The awd system is always on: From 5 to 40% to the front, depending on need (but it is usually 35/65 F/R). That said, the main difference I felt was that once the line is set for the turn you feel the car "claw" its way thru (as opposed to being pushed solely). There is a very brief time when the car is settling in where there is sort of a vague feeling of neither push nor pull (equilibrium?) which some say is "numb" steering. It is so brief that it does not bother me (and i do not think it has anything to do with steering proper). To each their own.

Last edited by cello; 01-27-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:15 PM
doctorpcar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
The C4 is wearing 235/40-18 and 295/35-18 tires, the C4S 235/35-19 and 305/30-19 tires. Since you were not even driving both cars hard at all, I wonder if your impression of the difference is largerly due to the different tires on both cars.

With best regards,
Sorry for leaving this out but the C4 was wearing 19" wheels. So that was not it, but good suggestion
Old 01-27-2008, 11:41 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I owned a 2001 996 C4, then a 997 C2 and now the C4S. The AWD is transparent in most driving situations. I personally like the feel of the AWD on the highway with strong crosswinds, the c2 has a very light front end where the C4S is very stable. I also like the way the AWD handles the turns, while it does feel heavier than the C2, for my taste it's preferrable. The main reason I like the S over the standard Carrera is the PASM. I think the ride is much more acceptable on real world east coast roads, better riding over rough pavement and the ability to change to a stiffer suspension on demand.
The 3.8 feels similar to me in power but the torque curve on the S feels a bit better to me than the 3.6.
Everyone has their opinion, having owned a few of these cars I'm happy with the C4S and if I bought a new one tomorrow I would most likely buy the same set up. It's hard to appreciate the difference on a test drive, you have to spend quality time with the car in demanding situations to fully understand its capabilities. Either way, all these cars are excellent. Good luck in your choice.

Quick Reply: 4 and 4S owners some thoughts on the car?