Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Didn't think it could ever happen to me!!! (someone backed into my car - rv)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 02:47 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Didn't think it could ever happen to me!!! (someone backed into my car - rv)

Not more then an hour ago, someone backed into my car and hit the right front bumper/fender. I'm so sad right now the car will never be the same again will it? I'll post pics shortly.

I was going about 5-10 mph down a service road and she was backing out from a loading station with her silver volvo. There was barely a dent with only a few scratches on her rear bumper. My car on the otherhand was smashed. Seems like alot of damage to me for a slow light impact collision. I thought our cars were tougher then that..

Should I have called the police? This happen on a local college campus (private property) i think and I dont think the police could have done anthing either. she admitted that it was her fault but could come up with another story later. Now i'm worried about who is at fault.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:57 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Default pics

pics

Last edited by redduck996; 10-21-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:03 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Sorry to hear about your accident. I'm sure a reputable shop will make the car look new or better than new. From the way you describe the accident, there is very minimal chance that any of the suspension/frame would be impacted.
I probably would have called the police myself to document the accident.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:07 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

I can't say much about the legalities, since I don't live in the states. But, i don't think the damage to your car is too bad. You would not believe the kind of work that a high end body shop can do. Make sure you get references from high end
owners/dealerships. Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Aston Mart........ Since it's someone else who did this don't even factor in price in the repairs. Take it to the best you can find. It's not that bad!
Old 01-27-2008, 03:09 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you haven't already, you should call your insurance company while the details are still fresh in your mind. It can be helpful to sit down and write everything you can remember down, organized chronologically. Your accident is minor, but its a good practice anyway.

p-cardriver
Old 01-27-2008, 03:55 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Too bad about your car.
I think you should have called the police or campus police. They would have written up an accident report which the insurance companies usually ask for. It may help to document that it was not your fault.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:02 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ALWAYS call the police. You're taking a big chance with insurance without an accident report.

Look at the bright side...this is your chance to ditch that clear bra.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:10 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

I was in shock and was not thinking clearly. I knew that the police could nto have done anything bc ive been in a fender bender at a shopping mall before. I dont think they have authority on private property. What I should have done was call the campus police. But I hesitated because she admitted fault and gave me her insurance and personal info. I hope when the insurance company calls her, she tells it like it is, fingers crossed.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:29 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Update:

Geico determined that it was the other parties fault. I have an appt to see an adjuster on tuesday.

Any suggestions on body shops in the northern VA area? Do you guys think I can and should get the shop to respray the entire hood just to match the new paint on the fender, bumper and to get rid of some nicks and chips or should I just have them blend but not spray the entire hood?

Also, would this be a good time to get a different style front bumper or am i jumping ahead of myself?

Last edited by redduck996; 01-27-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:32 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

wagon works, first choice, or euro pros? Ive done a search but was not about to find anything more recent then 2004. Alot can happen with quality and customer service in 3-4 years
Old 01-27-2008, 05:46 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Remember to post photos of the after....

Anyone else have damage with before and after photos - and long term outlook of the repair (over time did the paint on the repair still match the original paint, did bondo or whatever still retain it's shape, etc.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:32 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

A good strategy is to determine which body shop the dealers who do not have a body shop use. With the increasing size of dealerships, most have their own body shops now and the independent ones remaining have to be very good. These shops often are designated adjustment agents of the insurance companies, but they are looking for real repeat customers who are sticklers about their cars; their credibility with the insurance company works to allow them to get authorized to do whatever it takes to make you happy. Then you will come to them with every little door ding for all your cars.

I know a couple of these guys but none near you. They are out there though and worth seeking out. Much more user friendly than the high volume shops behind the monster Ford or Chrysler or chain Mercedes or BMW dealers.

Last edited by sclemmons; 01-28-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Kevin K
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear what happened. I know from prior experience that you go through this period of disbelief. I kept going into the garage and hoping maybe the dent wouldn't be there and that was just on an Acura.

I'm close by in Maryland. I'd call all the dealers in our area tomorrow and get recommendations on the body shops they would suggest. You might also call the Potomac PCA number and see if they can give you a local recommendation.

I know the tendency is to try to get this fixed as soon as possible, but it might be wise to take an extra week to really research the shops.

Good luck.

Kevin
Old 01-28-2008, 12:49 AM
voudous
6th Gear

I'm also sorry to hear what happened ... sucks.

I've heard good things regarding Wagon Works (on Rennlist and Audiworld), however I've never used them or seen their work. I do know firsthand about a smaller shop over in Fairfax Circle called European Body Works (EBW) ... I can't say enough good things regarding them. I was recommended to them by a few Audi folks I know at HBL, and local persons on Audiworld.com.

I used EBW about 2 years ago when my Audi was rear ended at a stop light by a Dodge Ram pickup ... damage to the trunk, bumper, etc ... but drivable. To follow onto that, roughly two weeks later, I cut a corner too close parking in an underground garage ... crunch ... driver side rear door and quarter panel got added to the list.

It did take them some time (if I recall correctly four weeks), and it was expensive, however their work was top notch. Paint was spot on (Dolphin Gray metallic) , no paint/tape lines, and rear fender repair was as good as factory (unibody, so no panel swap occurred).

But what made the difference to me beyond their quality of work, was how personable they were. They have my business when I decide to have the 944 S2 cab restored to its old glory ...

BTW ... what campus were you at?
Old 01-28-2008, 02:04 AM
etmorcus
Advanced

Sorry to hear about your car.
Remember, as much as we love our cars, they are just cars.
If someone hit my child, well, back off!
I had a 3 month old car that was keyed from some $%$#@^ (jealousy, I figure) I had to have the rear quarter panel, trunk, right quarter panel and front fender redone.
This has been 1.5 years ago, and the work was flawless then and flawless now.
You should get a new fender and then, maybe the GT3 aerokit
(front and rear) so you don't throw off the aerodynamics.

Quick Reply: Didn't think it could ever happen to me!!! (someone backed into my car - rv)